Wigan Warriors reported to have biggest ‘salary spend’ of 2024 Super League season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors reported to have biggest ‘salary spend’ of 2024 Super League season

Post by josie andrews »

Sky Sports have reported figures of what they believe to be every club’s salary spend of the 2024 Super League season - with reigning champions Wigan Warriors topping the table.

Sky Sports host Brian Carney revealed the estimated figures ahead of Friday’s clash between Leeds Rhinos and Warrington Wolves at Headingley Stadium.

And Wigan are alleged to have spent the most with a reported £3.1million figure on player salaries this year, boasting a stacked squad that saw them claim a record-equalling fifth World Club Challenge earlier in February with a 16-12 victory over Penrith Panthers at the DW Stadium

Catalans Dragons and Warrington Wolves are reportedly the joint-second highest spenders with an estimation of £3million according to research conducted by the sport’s main broadcasters.

Newly promoted London Broncos are the competition’s lowest spenders, with Mike Eccles’ side still searching for their first Super League win of the season.

St Helens, Huddersfield Giants and Leeds Rhinos are all alleged to have spent £2.7million, with Hull FC, Castleford Tigers and Salford Red Devils all below £2million.

Hull KR are reported by Sky Sports at £2.4million, with Leigh Leopards at £2.2million.

Super League’s finite salary cap was frozen at £2.1million for the fifth consecutive year ahead of the 2024 campaign, although a new marquee rule was introduced for homegrown players, taking the total a club can have to three.

Club-trained marquee players count as £50,000 on the salary cap, down from £75,000, while federation-trained marquee players count as £100,000, down from £150,000.

Overseas marquee players remained at a value of £150,000.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... on-4583059
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
No straw damn us

Re: Wigan Warriors reported to have biggest ‘salary spend’ of 2024 Super League season

Post by No straw damn us »

Do they understand the meaning of the word "estimate"?
morley pie eater

Re: Wigan Warriors reported to have biggest ‘salary spend’ of 2024 Super League season

Post by morley pie eater »

Do we know who our marquee players are?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

I know it's a daft question but can someone explain how these figures of £2.7 million to £3 million match the salary cap. Will we see roncosthe only surviving club after the points deductions????
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

ian.birchall wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:01 pm I know it's a daft question but can someone explain how these figures of £2.7 million to £3 million match the salary cap. Will we see roncosthe only surviving club after the points deductions????
Think caps 2.1 without certain dispensations for club trained players at each end of their playing careers which maybe not massive but adds up to a max of 100k. Then you have add on's like bonuses for winnings in finals, which can be paid but don't count. You also have others for meeting certain other aspects away from the playing field like welfare and development. So Wigan have between 200k and 300k there roughly. So example Farrimond to Faz could take some of that.
Then you have Marquee so you could pay Thompson 400k and only 100k would be on cap fed trained, Harry Smith would pay 350k and only 75k on cap as he's fed trained and came through our system. Bev 500k and only 150k on cap. So just on Marquee your saving an amount 900k ish (guessing) with the other 200k that would inside 3.1m spend without breaching rules.
I did see something that meant that the cap in reality is 2.4m with all dispensations before you add in Marquee rules but I can't find where I read it.
Pretty sure 1.8m is covered by TV monies.
I know that Robin park is helping financially and retail is up quite a bit. So guessing we can thank Mr Danson for the help. In sporting terms with RL you can do a lot with little.
Last edited by lucky 13 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

lucky 13 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:17 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:01 pm I know it's a daft question but can someone explain how these figures of £2.7 million to £3 million match the salary cap. Will we see roncosthe only surviving club after the points deductions????
Think caps 2.1 without certain dispensations for club trained players at each end of their playing careers which maybe not massive but adds up to a max of 100k, small ad on like bonuses for winnings in finals don't count also for meeting certain other aspects away from the playing field like welfare and development. So Wigan have 200k there roughly example Farrimond could take some of that. Then you have Marquee so you could pay Thompson 400k and only 100k would be on cap fed trained, Harry Smith would pay 300k and only 75k on cap as he's fed trained and came through our system. Bev 500k and only 150k on cap. So just on Marquee your saving an amount 900k ish (guessing) with the other 200k that would be the 3.1m spend without breaching rules. I did see something that meant that the cap in reality is 2.4m with all dispensations before you add in Marquee rules.
Pretty sure 1.8m is covered by TV monies.
I know that Robin park is helping financially and retail is up quite a bit. So guessing we can thank Mr Danson for the help. In sporting terms with RL you can do a lot with little.
Many thanks.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:03 pm Do we know who our marquee players are?
Thompson and Bevan I think
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Given so many of the teams seem not to spend to the cap is it high time it was done away with?
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:47 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:03 pm Do we know who our marquee players are?
Thompson and Bevan I think
You imagine Wigan utilize all three exemptions so would also utilize the club trained one. I imagine the top paid player from our academy system will be classed as Marquee I used Smith in the example.
It was widely reported that Wigan had agreed terms with Toby King before the third Marquee spot meant Wire changed their minds as his contract was then so low cap wise.
Sky estimate could be wrong, I imagine the spends won't be far off but they are a guess.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Complete guess work.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."