Head coach Tony Smith leaves Hull FC after poor start to Super League season

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Head coach Tony Smith leaves Hull FC after poor start to Super League season

Post by josie andrews »

Hull FC have parted company with head coach Tony Smith following a disastrous start to their new Betfred Super League campaign.

Smith’s side were thumped 56-22 at home by Huddersfield on Saturday, leaving them second from bottom of the table with just one win from their first seven games.

Smith and his assistant Stanley Gene have left their roles by mutual consent, with assistant coach Simon Grix and head of emerging talent Francis Cummins taking charge on an interim basis.

Hull FC chairman Adam Pearson said: “On behalf of everyone associated with Hull FC, I would like to thank Tony and Stan for their contribution to the club during their time with the first team.

“They have worked tirelessly and it is disappointing to have had to come to this decision, but it is one I feel is right at this time. I wish them both well for the future.

“There will be further restructuring of the club in the coming days and we will update further in due course.”

Smith, 57, made a controversial switch from rivals Hull KR at the end of the 2022 campaign but his first season in charge did not go to plan and included an embarrassing 0-40 derby defeat at the MKM Stadium.

The 2024 season has brought further heavy losses, with the single exception of a hard-fought 24-20 win over relegation favourites London Broncos in early March.

Smith, also the vastly-experienced former coach of Huddersfield, Leeds and Warrington, said he was disappointed not to get the chance to try to turn the club’s fortunes around.

“I want to wish the club and all of the players well for the future,” he said.

“It is disappointing not to see the job through, which was always going to be a challenging project, and I was relishing the opportunity to see it through.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/head-c ... 30237.html
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Re: Head coach Tony Smith leaves Hull FC after poor start to Super League season

Post by the pieman »

dont think that will be a shock to many fans across the game. Just seems like whoever is in charge there is on a hiding to nothing. the squads / players they have had over the last few years are far better than results on the pitch have demonstrated

if i was a betting man, i'd also have his name sake as the next one out of a coaching job
Firestarter

Re: Head coach Tony Smith leaves Hull FC after poor start to Super League season

Post by Firestarter »

the pieman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:32 pm dont think that will be a shock to many fans across the game. Just seems like whoever is in charge there is on a hiding to nothing. the squads / players they have had over the last few years are far better than results on the pitch have demonstrated

if i was a betting man, i'd also have his name sake as the next one out of a coaching job
Whats the chance of tony taking over at leeds if that does happen?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

It always amazes me that coaching seems to be one of the few jobs that no matter how much of a failure you are in your last job, there is nealry always someone willing to give you another job
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:41 pm
the pieman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:32 pm dont think that will be a shock to many fans across the game. Just seems like whoever is in charge there is on a hiding to nothing. the squads / players they have had over the last few years are far better than results on the pitch have demonstrated

Whats the chance of tony taking over at leeds if that does happen?
Probably get decent odds on it :) :)

its almost like the premiership football. If you have a foreign manager name, then you are going to be good. Just need to be an Ozzie to get a gig with a top flight super league team

it amazes me how Pochetino (sp) gets a gig. Massively over-rated, won nothing, but seems to be a media darling cos he's foreign.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Interesting that most of us seem to think this is unsurprising, who takes this gig will be a surprise!
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

That club is rotten to the core Pearson drones on about changing culture yet here he goes again getting rid of the coach a coach that for the most part have turned round the clubs he’s been at yet Hull the basket case of Super league defeats him
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Hull are in a mess that's for sure. Already got rid of Turnstile Tex and rumours are that Nu Brown is getting the push also
Back by demand.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

fozzie58 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:24 pm That club is rotten to the core Pearson drones on about changing culture yet here he goes again getting rid of the coach a coach that for the most part have turned round the clubs he’s been at yet Hull the basket case of Super league defeats him
it does seem strange that in the main, they have seriously under achieved

Whilst it seems clear that Pearson puts money in, is he too influential with the signings (genuine question) as in he makes them and tells the coach to get on with it or does he listen to the coach, and backs them? From an outsider looking in, whilst they make some good signings, do they actually fit with the club ethos (if they currently have one) or just signings for signings sake
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

They need to get back to basics with local players who have a passion for the club, build a new club culture. They are the sleeping giants of Super League.