Warrington v Saints

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Shevvylad

Re: Warrington v Saints

Post by Shevvylad »

Well I may be biased against Williams, because I've never rated him, but for me, yesterday, he did nothing special. His kicking was poor, and he missed quite a few tackles. He was ok, but I think Dufty created more chaos in the Saints defence, and Crowther worked his socks off. I know MoM is always subjective, and GW was on the winning side, but for me he was a lazy choice......
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

There was a 5 min spell starting when Dufty didn't get anywhere near a high ball and it looked like Saints would establish their usual stranglehold on the game and grind out the win through attrition, but credit to Wire (and probably Sam's coaching) they managed to pull themselves out of it and rack up a score - whereas last year they would have folded.

I do think the approach with Warrington is to put pressure on their backs (in addition to our forwards playing with intensity) - high balls and great kick chase to pressure Dufty as he has a tendency not to handle that level of pressure, and expose their edge defenders.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I think people are realising what a lot of Aussie fans thought: Dufty may be a great broken-field runner, but he's not actually that good at this defending lark, which is a bit of a drawback for a full-back.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

moto748 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:36 pm I think people are realising what a lot of Aussie fans thought: Dufty may be a great broken-field runner, but he's not actually that good at this defending lark, which is a bit of a drawback for a full-back.
Dufty is a speedster and that’s it.
Not much else to his game, never rated him.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Poor game to watch!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

archiekeith wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:01 pm Poor game to watch!
Thought it was quite good myself. Lots of enterprising play.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i think Wire took their chances well, with a couple of kicks causing chaos in saints defence. they deserved to win, but nowt special

I dont think they are that good though, and i dont think Wigan will be worrying that they have put 30 past Saints. Our defence is far better than that, and our attack (despite a poor day on GF) is far better than Saints attack
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Thought Leon Hayes, Harrison and Ashton had better games than GW.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

the pieman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:29 pm
i think Wire took their chances well, with a couple of kicks causing chaos in saints defence. they deserved to win, but nowt special

I dont think they are that good though, and i dont think Wigan will be worrying that they have put 30 past Saints. Our defence is far better than that, and our attack (despite a poor day on GF) is far better than Saints attack
I agree with your second paragraph Your assessment was exactly mine My comment re my saying the game was a poor spectacle was because I had just watched the Leigh v Hull KR game wich was a fast flowing game of RL so good to watch
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Enjoyable game if a bit crazy at times, good for the neutral, as they say :)

I hope other teams (mainly us) take some of what Warrington did to beat Saints, rather than trying to smash through the middle they were able to run the Saints pack around and took a few calculated risks. Harrison was immense in tying up and tiring out their front row.