Marshall: Outstanding win

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Marshall: Outstanding win

Post by josie andrews »

* Liam Marshall praised his teammates after he scored four tries in the Warriors’ Betfred Challenge Cup win over Castleford Tigers.

* Marshall: “The four tries were a testament to the quality of the lads around me and hopefully I can keep scoring them.”

* Watch full post-match reaction with Matt Peet, Liam Marshall and Abbas Miski on Wigan TV HERE.

LIAM MARSHALL PRAISED HIS TEAMMATES AFTER HIS FOUR TRIES HELPED WIGAN WARRIORS DEFEAT CASTLEFORD TIGERS TO REACH THE BETFRED CHALLENGE CUP SEMI-FINAL.

The Warriors booked their place in the final four of the competition after a dominant showing in West Yorkshire saw Wigan score 12 tries at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

Speaking on the performance post-match, Marshall said: “We came here with a job to do and get through to the next round which we did. Our start to the game was exactly what we wanted and in the end the result made it an outstanding win.”

Marshall scored his 150th career try in the win, and on the achievement, he said: “I didn’t know that, but it’s a nice stat. The four tries were a testament to the quality of the lads around me and hopefully I can keep scoring them.”

The Warriors lost Willie Isa to a serious injury in the first half, and showing support to his teammate, Marshall said: “It’s sad to see anyone go down like that, but especially Willie. He goes about his business very quietly but he’s always there if any of the lads want any help or advice. He’s a leader in this team who will be sorely missed, but the lads will get around and look after him like he would do to anyone else.”

Wigan will face Hull KR in the Betfred Challenge Cup Semi-Final, and looking ahead to tie, Marshall added: “Hull KR are a really classy team who have been playing some good rugby this year so it will be interesting. We will prepare exactly how we would for any other Semi-Final and hopefully this year we can go that one step further to reach Wembley.”

The Warriors host Castleford in a return to Betfred Super League action on Friday night, and on a third meeting of the season against the Tigers, Marshall said: “Hopefully it will be much of the same from us. Castleford will come with a lot of energy as they look to right a few wrongs so we have to make sure we stick to our processes to hopefully get the win.”

Tickets for Friday’s clash remain on sale from the DW Stadium Ticket Office and online HERE. Tickets include entry to the Women’s league fixture against Barrow Raiders, which will see the Women’s side play at the DW Stadium for the first time.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/04/ ... nding-win/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Marshall: Outstanding win

Post by josie andrews »

Peet: Job done

* Matt Peet praised his side after Wigan Warriors beat Castleford Tigers to reach the Semi-Final of the Betfred Challenge Cup.

* Peet: “I thought it was a decent performance from us and I was always confident that if we got our start right then we would progress in the competition.”

* FT | Castleford Tigers 6-60 Wigan Warriors.

MATT PEET PRAISED HIS SIDE AFTER WIGAN WARRIORS RECORDED A 60-6 WIN OVER CASTLEFORD TIGERS TO REACH THE SEMI-FINAL OF THE BETFRED CHALLENGE CUP.

The Warriors scored 12 tries in a dominant display at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle in which an electric start to the tie saw Wigan lead 28-0 after 22 minutes.

Speaking on the performance, Peet said: “Job done. I thought it was a decent performance from us and I was always confident that if we got our start right then we would progress in the competition. We played with some good tempo to get points on the board.”

Liam Marshall scored four tries in the win, and on the winger, Peet said: “Liam brings so much energy to our environment on a daily basis. When you see what he is at this Club – his attitude, his consistency, his leadership – you see he is very influential.”

The Warriors lost Willie Isa through injury in the first half, and providing an update on the experienced second rower, Peet said: “He’s dislocated and broken an area in his lower leg. He needs an x-ray tonight to find out the extent.”

Junior Nsemba made a powerful impact from the interchange bench, and speaking on the forward, Peet added: “He was pushing towards a starting place but with what’s happened to Willie it means he will get more opportunities. You saw today how devastating he can be with the ball and I look forward to seeing him out there more.”

Wigan will face Hull KR in the Betfred Challenge Cup Semi-Final, and when asked about progressing in the competition, Peet said: “The Club has a great history in this competition and we are very hungry to get to such a fantastic occasion again. Our history in this competition doesn’t give you any more right than the others to success, and Hull KR will be equally motivated – it will come down to who plays the best.”

The Warriors host Castleford Tigers on Friday night in a return to Super League action, and on preparing from the clash, Peet said: “We won’t drill too much into this game as we will focus more on ourselves like always. We will try and replicate certain elements from this performance – especially our start to the game.”

Tickets for the Warriors’ Betfred Super League Round 8 fixture against Castleford Tigers are available to purchase online HERE. Ticket includes entry to the Women’s first ever match at the DW Stadium when they face Barrow Raiders in Women’s Super League action.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/04/ ... -job-done/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan