Squad v Castleford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
w.thomas

Re: Squad v Castleford

Post by w.thomas »

I think we’ve missed O’Neil at hooker, in defence and attack, leeming hasn’t been great. For me he’s certainly not an 80 min hooker, more like an impact one against a tired defence. What do I know though? Wins a win but not a good performance. Need to sort out our line speed because in the cup KR will have a field day with their team of dwarves on acid.
M6 Warrior

Post by M6 Warrior »

Sure we’ll be fine in the bigger games,This was a typical performance against a poor side….didnt need to get out of second gear to win. Line speed and focus will be much sharper when it matters. Having said that, if I were Matt, I’d not be too happy with tonight’s performance but it’s another easy 2 points. Only possible downer is the injury to Keighran…hopefully it’s not too bad
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

Ipinwigan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 pm
Ipinwigan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:02 pm Hampshire has never been any good, ok in a small team, but nowhere near good enough for Wigan
He's that crap he could end up with a hat trick 😂😂😂
I could have scored both of those
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

M6 Warrior wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:51 pm Sure we’ll be fine in the bigger games,This was a typical performance against a poor side….didnt need to get out of second gear to win. Line speed and focus will be much sharper when it matters. Having said that, if I were Matt, I’d not be too happy with tonight’s performance but it’s another easy 2 points. Only possible downer is the injury to Keighran…hopefully it’s not too bad
It should matter in every game though
M6 Warrior

Post by M6 Warrior »

It’s a long season Meds, no team can be at top level performance every week. We can expect it, but simple fact is that finish in top two then September- October matters most under the current format. That’s what happened last year
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Abit clunky in attack, the player changes really affected us.
But credit where it’s due, I thought Cas defended out of their skins especially on their try line.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Also Nsemba is gonna be a beast when he matures that little more.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

w.thomas wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 pm I think we’ve missed O’Neil at hooker, in defence and attack, leeming hasn’t been great. For me he’s certainly not an 80 min hooker, more like an impact one against a tired defence. What do I know though? Wins a win but not a good performance. Need to sort out our line speed because in the cup KR will have a field day with their team of dwarves on acid.
Fair assessment :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Just got back after a magical mystery tour due to nighttime junction closures on the M6. That’s after being diverted over the Merseyside Gateway on my way to the match as the M56 had a 30minute delay on it :roll:

I thought it was a poor performance particularly the first half. I don’t hold with this didn’t need to get out of second gear idea. If the team is faced with poor opponents they should be ruthless not having a stroll. Call it practice if you like but you don’t gane anything in my opinion from not trying to play as you expect against a top side.

Hampshire was announced as sponsors MoM. All I can say is they are easily pleased.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

My take. We went away from our normal game plan. We didn’t take the ball down the middle and take the juice out of Cas, we moved the ball wide far too often without earning the right. Velle didn’t police the ruck efficiently. Leeming’s dummy half play was poor. Field’s pace and threat gives the halves more room to operate. Our contact in the tackle was poor. On the plus side, Junior was great, we got minutes into Coopers legs, our goal kicking improved, Mago and Dupree are a handful, there was a healthy crowd and we got the two points.