Peet previews Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet previews Hull KR

Post by josie andrews »

* Matt Peet previews Friday’s Betfred Super League fixture away to Hull KR.

* Peet: “We know that we’ll have to be at our absolute best come Friday night.”

* Tickets for the game are still available. Get all the information HERE.

MATT PEET SPOKE TO THE PRESS ON TUESDAY AFTERNOON AHEAD OF WIGAN’S ROUND 9 BETFRED SUPER LEAGUE CLASH WITH HULL KR AT SEWELL GROUP CRAVEN PARK.

The Warriors come into the game on the back of a 36-12 victory at home to Castleford Tigers, which saw Peet’s side record their third win on the bounce in all competitions. Liam Marshall and Ryan Hampshire both scored braces on the night, with Abbas Miski and Bevan French also crossing over.

Hull KR currently sit two points behind the Cherry and Whites in the Betfred Super League table, and Peet expects a tough test at Craven Park: “I think everyone knows they’re genuine challengers when it comes to trophies these days.

“Last year they were a final team, they were a semi-final team and that comes back to the ambition and optimism around the Club off the field – the way they recruit, the way Willie (Peters) coaches his team. It’s a fantastic challenge we have ahead of us and we’ve got a lot of admiration for what Hull KR are doing.”

Peet added: “They’re a team that play a unique style, I think they have a great combination between hard work and free-flowing rugby. They’re just an excellent team all across the park that have got some skilful ball players, especially with Tyrone May and Mikey Lewis. We know that we’ll have to be at our absolute best come Friday night.”

The two sides have had some memorable affairs in recent times, with the Robins winning in Golden Point when the they faced off in the Challenge Cup Semi-Final last season, while the Warriors came out victors to reach the Super League Grand Final just three months later.

“There’s been some unbelievable games between us and I do think there’s a lot of mutual respect between the two teams and clubs”, said Peet.

“When you get the top teams against one another you want last-minute games that go right to the wire. We all enjoy being apart of those games and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s similar this week. Hull KR is becoming one of those flagship fixtures for us that we look forward to immensely.”

With the two sides also set to clash once again in the Challenge Cup Semi-Final a month down the line, Peet dismissed any ideas that the games could impact each other: “I think there’s far too much rugby to be played between now and then – it has to be laser focus on this 80 minutes and we’ll pick it up again in a few weeks. I don’t think the two games will have any bearing on one another whatsoever.”

One player expected to hit a milestone in Friday night’s game is Bevan French, who is set to make his 100th appearance for the Warriors. With Peet an Assistant Coach at the Club when French made his Wigan debut in 2019, he reflected on an outstanding five years for milestone man: “He’s a pleasure to work with, a very determined individual. He obviously has unbelievable talent but he’s just a good man. The first thing that came across when he joined was that he was a really warm person. Then I remember his first game when he came off the bench and his X-factor stood out a mile – you could see that in training as well, the things he’s capable of.

“His family can be very proud of him – I’m sure they are – and we’re very proud of him as well. I’m sure our supporters will join me in saying it’s been a joy to watch and here’s to the next hundred.”

Tickets for Friday’s fixture at Sewell Group Craven Park remain on sale until 5pm on Thursday 25 April. Any tickets purchased online will now need to be collected at the DW Stadium Ticket Office. Full ticket information can be found HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/04/ ... hull-kr-6/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan