Wigan squad for Hull KR (R9)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Wigan squad for Hull KR (R9)

Post by Firestarter »

Rovers were awful at cats so its only the same as us improving next week.I only saw bits as i was in work and will see how bad we were
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

NICKYKISS wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:49 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:38 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:27 pm

We were ordinary at London and really good at Leigh 3 weeks ago and Cas 2 weeks ago, so that doesn’t make any sense.
Leigh and Cas were very poor although we even made Cas look good with a very unconvincing performance last week. We have played two sides who look decent and have lost to both.
I don’t disagree that we’ve come up short in the two toughest league fixtures we’ve faced but the point stands. You said we’ve not been convincing since London, yet we were average that day and absolutely battered Leigh and Cas in the last few weeks.

There is no need for OTT reactions. We’ve had a different start to the season due to the Penrith game and we’ve been up and down. We were the same last season, yet didn’t have the excuse of a WCC game and we got the job done. The players have earned some trust and to have an off day. I’m convinced tonight will help us in that Cup semi in a few weeks and we’ll see a contest worlds away from tonight. I gave full faith in them all and they’ll take us to Wembley.
Well Peet has seen how HKR can play so we will see if he has a game plan to counter it. He needs to get the team to stop them playing as much as getting Wigan to play better. If he just puts this down to Wigan having a bad day and doesn’t work out tactics to deal with HKR the result will be the same.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Appalling display, I thought we might lose in a close one, not get blown away. So many poor displays today. Nsemba looked good but we are not using him correctly yet . Continually taking the wrong options, soft defence, falling off tackles, looking for someone else to do the work, just appalling.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:27 pm

We were ordinary at London and really good at Leigh 3 weeks ago and Cas 2 weeks ago, so that doesn’t make any sense.
Leigh and Cas were very poor although we even made Cas look good with a very unconvincing performance last week. We have played two sides who look decent and have lost to both.
I don’t disagree that we’ve come up short in the two toughest league fixtures we’ve faced but the point stands. You said we’ve not been convincing since London, yet we were average that day and absolutely battered Leigh and Cas in the last few weeks.

There is no need for OTT reactions. We’ve had a different start to the season due to the Penrith game and we’ve been up and down. We were the same last season, yet didn’t have the excuse of a WCC game and we got the job done. The players have earned some trust and to have an off day. I’m convinced tonight will help us in that Cup semi in a few weeks and we’ll see a contest worlds away from tonight. I gave full faith in them all and they’ll take us to Wembley.
I agree with you Nicky. I want all the doubters to name a team that will finish above Wigan in the league, it won’t be HKR. Collectively we were poor, there’s plenty of time to put it right. Bad teams don’t beat Penrith.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 pm

Well Peet has seen how HKR can play so we will see if he has a game plan to counter it. He needs to get the team to stop them playing as much as getting Wigan to play better. If he just puts this down to Wigan having a bad day and doesn’t work out tactics to deal with HKR the result will be the same.
Attitude, concentration and energy are what they’ll need to improve (and they will). We can talk tactics all night but everything wrong about the performance tonight wasn’t tactical, it was based around effort areas and being switched on. Falling off tackles, weak first up contacts, not wrapping the ball up etc in defence and poor execution in attack weren’t anything to do with tactics, it was attitude based. Look at that first try, it’s a shocking effort from Faz but where are his mates to help him?! The scramble on the Hiku try was much the same. We just didn’t want it enough. I think they’ll be embarrassed with that tonight and rightfully so and we’ll see a reaction next week and beyond.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

It isn’t that difficult to come up with a game plan to negate HKR, just watch their match against Catalans.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:11 pm

It isn’t that difficult to come up with a game plan to negate HKR, just watch their match against Catalans.
I missed that one. I guess Peet must have as well :D
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Sack the Board. Sack the coaches - and the coach driver too! Chief Executive had better fall on his sword as well. Melt down the League Leaders Shield, the Super League trophy and WCC trophy - we don't deserve them. We lost - for the second time since last June!

Sure it was a poor performance, well below par, in yet another away game. But they are a good team - and we did win the second half - and if Thompson had scored at 18 - 4 in the middle of the second half, who knows .....!!

I know these are stupid comments - but they aren't half as bad as some of the disgraceful/embarrassing/give the fans their money back comments on here. A bad day at the office is disappointing - but it happens.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:18 pm Sack the Board. Sack the coaches - and the coach driver too! Chief Executive had better fall on his sword as well. Melt down the League Leaders Shield, the Super League trophy and WCC trophy - we don't deserve them. We lost - for the second time since last June!

Sure it was a poor performance, well below par, in yet another away game. But they are a good team - and we did win the second half - and if Thompson had scored at 18 - 4 in the middle of the second half, who knows .....!!

I know these are stupid comments - but they aren't half as bad as some of the disgraceful/embarrassing/give the fans their money back comments on here. A bad day at the office is disappointing - but it happens.
Class. I love all the negative v positive posts at times.Im waiting for the famous “how many pages when we lose compared to when we win” comment.Imho its coz we bloody care
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:18 pm Sack the Board. Sack the coaches - and the coach driver too! Chief Executive had better fall on his sword as well. Melt down the League Leaders Shield, the Super League trophy and WCC trophy - we don't deserve them. We lost - for the second time since last June!

I was sat effing and blinding watching the game, with the missus telling me to calm down but rational thought takes over, I remember that we’re sat on 3 trophies and sometimes other teams just have reasons to want a game more and you take stock. It wasn’t good enough, the players will be embarrassed but in many ways it can help you more than it can hinder you. In the grand scheme of things it matters little as long as you react and I think we know these players will.