Wigan squad for Catalans (R10)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Wigan squad for Catalans (R10)

Post by Barney841 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:57 pm Superb second half. A lot to like. I think Wardle is superb. Someone above suggested the best centre since Carmont. With respect to that fine player, Wardle is a class above. I would say the best centre we have had since Renouf.
It was me that said it. But if we are gonna go that far back, I’d have Connnelly above all of them.
Renouf in his prime yes but his best years were behind him when he came here. Still hell of a player though
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Barney841 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:57 am
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:57 pm Superb second half. A lot to like. I think Wardle is superb. Someone above suggested the best centre since Carmont. With respect to that fine player, Wardle is a class above. I would say the best centre we have had since Renouf.
It was me that said it. But if we are gonna go that far back, I’d have Connnelly above all of them.
Renouf in his prime yes but his best years were behind him when he came here. Still hell of a player though
43 tries in 59 games ain’t too shabby.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

the pieman wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:10 am
Wintergreen wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:25 am
Ipinwigan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:23 am I am not sure that Byrne should keep his place in the team with the current virtually fully fit squad, still the potential for stupid penalties from him.
I would think that once Walters is in the team and Cooper is fit, then Byrne should be left out. I also think Harvie Hill offers more than Byrne.
One thing with a fit squad, players should have to play very well to keep thier places.
The work rate from Thompson and Havard is outstanding and Mago is a great impact player.
Nsemba goes from strength to strength and still only 19, what potential he has to become a true great.
I think he is at a crossroads. His game seemed to kick on after the Cats game last season, I had high hopes after that.

Then he's out and not come back with the same intensity. I hope he can turn it around for his and Wigan's sake.

You are right though. Atm there are a few players ahead of him. Havard, Thompson, Dupree, Cooper, Mago all get in the team before him and Hill is chomping on the bit.
i personally wouldnt have played him last night as it meant we have Havard (1 game) and Byrne (1st game) returning after injury, so Hill IMO would have been a better option to prevent the risk of 2props pulling up post injury. I know players need game time to get match fit, and with the sporadic nature of the reserves only playing every 2-3 weeks its difficult to get guys game time when they are returning from injury

however, the coaching staff know far better than i ever will :)
Byrne’s not been injured just suspended.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Tuigamala? Dean Bell?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Bell and Connolly were prior to Renouf joining. I accept we didn’t see him at his peak, but he was still class. I thought carefully about this, and in particular how Wardle compares to Gleeson, and I think he is marginally better. This is because he has absolutely every skill a good centre needs, and his levels never drop. All of course my purely subjective take.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Incidentally, as this was the game closest to her 100th, our auntie was in hospitality. We had contacted the Dragons separately, and she was treated to an evening for the ages. Bernard Guasch came over and presented her with a signed shirt, she was given a signed Wigan top, and lots of the players spent time with her, including Ellis in his kit, and Liam Marshall who went out of his way to see her off at the end of the evening.

We are a truly special club.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:16 pm
43 tries in 59 games ain’t too shabby.
Yeah he never passed to his winger. Ball greedy
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:26 pm
the pieman wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:10 am
Wintergreen wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:25 am

I think he is at a crossroads. His game seemed to kick on after the Cats game last season, I had high hopes after that.

Then he's out and not come back with the same intensity. I hope he can turn it around for his and Wigan's sake.

You are right though. Atm there are a few players ahead of him. Havard, Thompson, Dupree, Cooper, Mago all get in the team before him and Hill is chomping on the bit.
i personally wouldnt have played him last night as it meant we have Havard (1 game) and Byrne (1st game) returning after injury, so Hill IMO would have been a better option to prevent the risk of 2props pulling up post injury. I know players need game time to get match fit, and with the sporadic nature of the reserves only playing every 2-3 weeks its difficult to get guys game time when they are returning from injury

however, the coaching staff know far better than i ever will :)
Byrne’s not been injured just suspended.
fair point :) - i'd forgotten about the ban for the nothing tackle on GF
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Good win in the end.

Positives
- Impact of Leeming and Mago
- Havards minutes, defence, and obvious size he has put on
- Wardle and Keighran

Negatives
- Unforced errors - (Miski, Nsemba, ONeil spring to mind)
- Byrne - Not kicking on, not improving, doesn't make a dent in attack
- Smith and French combo just doesn't seem to be improving
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:58 pm Good win in the end.

Positives
- Impact of Leeming and Mago
- Havards minutes, defence, and obvious size he has put on
- Wardle and Keighran

Negatives
- Unforced errors - (Miski, Nsemba, ONeil spring to mind)
- Byrne - Not kicking on, not improving, doesn't make a dent in attack
- Smith and French combo just doesn't seem to be improving
Agreed. You can add Byrne to the unforced errors list. The number of unforced errors was much too high and was a repeat of the HKR game. If Cars had been as incisive in attack when presented with the ball and field position as HKR were we could have been looking down a similar half time score as the HKR game. The errors really need sorting out.