James Graham shoots down Aussie journo in on-air spat

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Johnone

Re: James Graham shoots down Aussie journo in on-air spat

Post by Johnone »

The problem that both codes of rugby face is both insurance and litigation both the RL and RFU face bankruptcy if the up and coming court cases go against them and consequently the insurance companies pull the plug. Personally I am not sure which way any judgment may go everyone has responsibilities for ther own actions in life whether it be in sport or in general. How the courts may view it is a very different question. Perhaps there may be out of court settlements, which ever way it goes I am afraid that rugby is in for massive change .
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

thegimble wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:34 am It is incredible how a few lawyers, Doctors and ex players and drunk jurnos. (Paul Kent was hilarious btw) who have little to do with the game has taken control of it

When I played union as a prop I knew the risks of serious back injury broken bones and getting ko. Players should especially now know they are better protected on head injuries than at anytime. Even scrummaging in union is a lot safer

But there are no guarantees of anyone not ending up in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives or having long term brain injuries. It's a choice players in both codes make. But as in todays society personal choice is becoming enforced choice. Can we just let players make the choice on all the evidence and if they do not want to play then they can walk away.

But the clubs must release all known research to the players. And as a prop I loved taking the ball in the first hit of the game. Endorphins is a bugger.
Fair enough, but without insurance, the pro-game stops. How do you get around that?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Mike wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:01 pm
thegimble wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:34 am It is incredible how a few lawyers, Doctors and ex players and drunk jurnos. (Paul Kent was hilarious btw) who have little to do with the game has taken control of it

When I played union as a prop I knew the risks of serious back injury broken bones and getting ko. Players should especially now know they are better protected on head injuries than at anytime. Even scrummaging in union is a lot safer

But there are no guarantees of anyone not ending up in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives or having long term brain injuries. It's a choice players in both codes make. But as in todays society personal choice is becoming enforced choice. Can we just let players make the choice on all the evidence and if they do not want to play then they can walk away.

But the clubs must release all known research to the players. And as a prop I loved taking the ball in the first hit of the game. Endorphins is a bugger.
Fair enough, but without insurance, the pro-game stops. How do you get around that?
The problem is pro game for me is on the way out if they continue to make it safe so no one takes a risk. If Insurance is the sport killer then UFC and boxing is in real trouble.
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:46 am
Raging Penguin wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:46 pm Hi Josie,

Is it possible to get access to the data, or is it merely an article making claims?
Josie is posting articles to raise debate which is exactly what happened here. Without trying to come across as an arse, if you want the data, try looking for it yourself
Hi Josie,

I thought id ask as you do seem quite informed, thankyou anyway.

Hi Blackpool_Pie

I am aware Josie is posting articles, I can read. I simply asked a question
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Raging Penguin wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:54 pm

Is it possible to get access to the data, or is it merely an article making claims?
Josie is posting articles to raise debate which is exactly what happened here. Without trying to come across as an arse, if you want the data, try looking for it yourself
Hi Josie,

I thought id ask as you do seem quite informed, thankyou anyway.

Hi Blackpool_Pie

I am aware Josie is posting articles, I can read. I simply asked a question
I wasn't trying to be funny with you. I was simply saying that would be the best course of action :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Raging Penguin wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:54 pm

Hi Josie,

I thought id ask as you do seem quite informed, thankyou anyway
No problem 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Changes to Super League Kick-Offs discussed by RFL

A sickening incident in the NRL has sparked a new debate about head injuries. At the centre of that debate is the role of the kick-off. Now, the RFL has discussed the potential for changes to the kick-off in Super League.

St George Illawarra star, Moses Suli, received a nasty blow to the head in the Dragons’ ANZAC day clash. Suli was heavily concussed in the game’s first play. His head position was wrong when trying to tackle Sydney Roosters’ Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

The incident has sparked a national debate in Australia. Several high-profile individuals have now called for the kick-off to be banned, or amended, to reduce the inherent risks. However, a number of individuals, including Suli himself, have pushed back against the idea.

Now, the RFL has offered its stance on whether it will make moves to ban the kick-off.

RFL: Kick-offs have a high incidence rate of concussions

Speaking in an RFL media briefing last week, former Super League referee Robert Hicks, gave the RFL’s position. Their data suggests that the kick-off does have a higher incidence rate of concussions.

However, the vast majority of concussions in Super League still come from line tackles.

We’ve been able to assess our last 200 concussions and about where they are caused by. And what you find is, some have a higher incident rate, so kick-offs have a high incidence rate” Hicks explained.

“But there’s relatively few kick-offs in a game, so actually whilst the rate is high it doesn’t cause that many of our concussions.

"So, the challenge that you have to find when making change in any way is where do you place your bet, where do you put more bang for the buck.”

No imminent change to Super League kick-offs planned

Hicks confirmed that, whilst the RFL will continue to monitor the data, there are no imminent plans to change the way kick-offs work. Priority will be given to reducing the number of concussions caused by line tackles.

“So, changing kick-off, because it’s the highest risk, yes, or one of the highest risks. However, if it’s only accounting for 2% of your concussions, you’re really fiddling around the edges.

“And what we find is that the line tackle is the one that creates most concussions in our sport. So, it’s working on that area.”

However, the RFL will continue to consult with the NRL, to ensure the two governing bodies remain aligned. Hicks also confirmed that his statement does not mean a change will never be made

We will be working with the NRL now to make sure we are aligned around kick-offs and if there’s any changes.

Nothing’s ever laid to rest. I think that’s the reality. We should be data-led. I think the reality of the kick-off is it will be an area that everybody looks at. But finding the right way of having a kick-off.”

Technology will also play a key part in the decision, with the use of video technology and smart mouth guards helping to inform decision making. Hicks also confirmed that any changes will also be fully trialled before they are implemented.

We’d be naive and probably negligent if we didn’t review those kinds of things,” Hicks concluded.

“Now, what we have an ability to do now with the use of mouth guards and with the use of video technology is assess whether we could trial something differently.

“So, before we’d ever change anything, we should have always trialled it to see what it looked like.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/changes- ... rfl-91317/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

josie andrews wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:44 am Changes to Super League Kick-Offs discussed by RFL

A sickening incident in the NRL has sparked a new debate about head injuries. At the centre of that debate is the role of the kick-off. Now, the RFL has discussed the potential for changes to the kick-off in Super League.

St George Illawarra star, Moses Suli, received a nasty blow to the head in the Dragons’ ANZAC day clash. Suli was heavily concussed in the game’s first play. His head position was wrong when trying to tackle Sydney Roosters’ Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

The incident has sparked a national debate in Australia. Several high-profile individuals have now called for the kick-off to be banned, or amended, to reduce the inherent risks. However, a number of individuals, including Suli himself, have pushed back against the idea.

Now, the RFL has offered its stance on whether it will make moves to ban the kick-off.

Speaking in an RFL media briefing last week, former Super League referee Robert Hicks, gave the RFL’s position. Their data suggests that the kick-off does have a higher incidence rate of concussions.

However, the vast majority of concussions in Super League still come from line tackles.

We’ve been able to assess our last 200 concussions and about where they are caused by. And what you find is, some have a higher incident rate, so kick-offs have a high incidence rate” Hicks explained.

“But there’s relatively few kick-offs in a game, so actually whilst the rate is high it doesn’t cause that many of our concussions.

"So, the challenge that you have to find when making change in any way is where do you place your bet, where do you put more bang for the buck.”

Hicks confirmed that, whilst the RFL will continue to monitor the data, there are no imminent plans to change the way kick-offs work. Priority will be given to reducing the number of concussions caused by line tackles.

“So, changing kick-off, because it’s the highest risk, yes, or one of the highest risks. However, if it’s only accounting for 2% of your concussions, you’re really fiddling around the edges.

“And what we find is that the line tackle is the one that creates most concussions in our sport. So, it’s working on that area.”

However, the RFL will continue to consult with the NRL, to ensure the two governing bodies remain aligned. Hicks also confirmed that his statement does not mean a change will never be made

We will be working with the NRL now to make sure we are aligned around kick-offs and if there’s any changes.

Nothing’s ever laid to rest. I think that’s the reality. We should be data-led. I think the reality of the kick-off is it will be an area that everybody looks at. But finding the right way of having a kick-off.”

Technology will also play a key part in the decision, with the use of video technology and smart mouth guards helping to inform decision making. Hicks also confirmed that any changes will also be fully trialled before they are implemented.

We’d be naive and probably negligent if we didn’t review those kinds of things,” Hicks concluded.

“Now, what we have an ability to do now with the use of mouth guards and with the use of video technology is assess whether we could trial something differently.

“So, before we’d ever change anything, we should have always trialled it to see what it looked like.”

It won't be too long off before the "Nanny State" take over all proceedings and all possible contact that might involve head concussion is severely reduced or banned completely.
Walking Rugby is the future.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Ipinwigan wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:37 pm
josie andrews wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:44 am Changes to Super League Kick-Offs discussed by RFL

It won't be too long off before the "Nanny State" take over all proceedings and all possible contact that might involve head concussion is severely reduced or banned completely.
Isn't this article about not making any changes to the kick off?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Mike wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:41 pm
Ipinwigan wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:37 pm

Isn't this article about not making any changes to the kick off?
It is but I don't believe them, they will run for the hills if more concussions occur and the Do Gooders and solicitors get involved.