Leopards v Tigers

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leopards v Tigers

Post by josie andrews »

Leigh and Castleford draw in extra-time classic

Betfred Super League

Leigh (18) 28

Tries:
Moylan, Ipape, Charnley, Leutele, Lam Goals: Moylan 4

Castleford (10) 28

Tries:
L Senior 2, Hoy, Wood, I Senior Goals: Milnes 4

Edwin Ipape’s return from injury sparked a Leigh Leopards comeback but they had to share the spoils with Castleford in a thrilling Super League extra-time draw.

The Papua New Guinea hooker had missed Leigh’s last seven games after injuring knee ligaments in their opening round defeat to Huddersfield.

But Ipape came on after 25 minutes and immediately looked influential, scoring one try and playing a part in two more as his side recovered a 10-point deficit following scores by Louis Senior and Tex Hoy.

Matt Moylan, Luke Charnley, Ricky Leutele and Lachlan Lam also crossed the line for Leigh, with Moylan adding four conversions.

However, Sam Wood’s try kept the Tigers in contention and both Senior and his brother Inniss went over in the closing stages to force extra-time.

Ipape set up drop-goal opportunities for both Moylan and Lam during the extra 10 minutes, but neither could kick the golden point and clinch victory.

Both defences had remained tight during recent wins over Catalans and London respectively and neither looked like being breached during a stop-start opening 10 minutes that included several turnovers.

A wayward pass from Moylan, deep in Tigers territory, provided Senior with the opportunity to open the scoring as he raced 80m to touch down – and the visitors soon extended their lead further.

Castleford moved the ball from right to left as Jacob Miller set up Hoy to register his first try for the club and the Leopards looked ragged, with another Senior score chalked off for a forward pass and Elie El-Zakhem also coming up just short of the line.

But Ipape’s introduction after 25 minutes appeared to galvanise his side as he immediately combined with Lam to send Moylan through, darting inside for their first try of the game.

Ipape followed that up with a try of his own after his kick rebounded off a Tigers defender and, when Charnley forced his way over in the corner on the stroke of half-time, Leigh had suddenly carved out an 18-10 advantage.

They extended that after the turnaround as Ipape and Lam combined for Leutele to go over and Leopards debutant Louis Brogan had a try disallowed, pouncing after Hoy had fumbled Moylan’s kick.

However, Hoy atoned for that error by racing clear to set up Wood, whose score provided the Tigers with a glimmer of hope – only for Lam to make it 28-16, snapping up Charnley’s pass to finish off a slick move.

Castleford pinned their hosts back during the final 10 minutes and Hoy tipped on Miller’s pass for Inniss Senior before Louis grabbed his second try of the game, touching down in the corner.

Rowan Milnes held his nerve to level the scores, kicking from a tight angle and the teams regrouped for an additional 10 minutes – but Moylan’s drop-goal attempt struck a post and Lam’s flew wide at the death.

Post-match reaction

Leigh coach Adrian Lam:

"I don’t think we deserved to lose the game. For us to take the next step forward we need to get better with our execution.

"We got ourselves in position to win the game several times. I’m not blaming anyone for that – I thought we did well to get into those positions in the first place."

Castleford coach Craig Lingard:

"If you asked me midway through the first half I’d say (it feels like) a point dropped. But if you asked me in the second, I’d say a point won.

"I thought we were lucky to be 10 points up in the first half because Leigh had dominated in attack and defence.

"We have talked about developing and toughening our mentality of competing and we played well in spells but not for the full 80 minutes.

"Those periods of the game are getting bigger and the bad ones are getting smaller. But we are getting there – the last couple of games have given us some confidence for the coming weeks."

Leigh: Moylan, Hanley, Hardaker, Leutele, Charnley, McNamara, Lam, Amone, Dwyer, Trout, O'Donnell, Halton, Hughes.

Interchanges: Holmes, Davis, Ipape, Brogan

Castleford: Hoy, L Senior, C Hall, Wood, I Senior, Milnes, Miller, Watts, McShane, Westerman, Mellor, El-Zakhem, Hill.

Interchanges: Horne, S Hall, Robb, Martin

Referee: James Vella.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-leagu ... 7dyw01q66o
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Leopards v Tigers

Post by josie andrews »

Best match all weekend

Thoroughly deserved a point apiece 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

LEIGH LEOPARDS owner Derek Beaumont has confirmed the signing of a Castleford Tigers player.

Ahead of Leigh’s 28-28 draw against the Tigers on Saturday evening, Beaumont addressed a section of Leopards’ supporters following the impending exit of captain John Asiata, who will be joining Hull FC from 2025.

Beaumont took aim at the myth of the May 1 transfer deadline, which allows those out of contract players to agree terms with other clubs for the future.

“The 1st of May deadline is actually a completely pointless thing. As clubs, owners and CEOs, we all agreed at the latest meeting that we should just eradicated that and it’s fair game,” Beaumont said.

“Once a player goes into the final year of the contract then anybody can start negotiating because it’s what happens anyway. It seems odd to have this rule that makes it seem like you’re doing something naughty, but if you don’t do it then you’re disadvantaged.”

Beaumont then went on to reveal that the Leopards had actually signed a player from Castleford, but that the deal hasn’t been announced yet due to “correct etiquette.”

“So, that deadline has kind of been removed but it was a deadline to work towards so Chezzie (Chris Chester, Director of Rugby) would be getting players done. We’ve signed players that we’ve not announced yet, other clubs have signed players.

“There’s a player that has been signed from here (Castleford) that has not been announced by the club because that’s the correct etiquette.”

https://www.totalrl.com/leigh-leopards- ... gers-star/
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

As Josie said best game of the weekend sometimes a draw is the right result
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzie58 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:23 pm As Josie said best game of the weekend sometimes a draw is the right result
I’ve never been in favour of golden point, the players put their bodies through enough in 80 minutes.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:33 pm
fozzie58 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:23 pm As Josie said best game of the weekend sometimes a draw is the right result
I’ve never been in favour of golden point, the players put their bodies through enough in 80 minutes.
I’m not, the RFL keep talking about player welfare then ask players to play extra time for the sake of a point!!!

It’s not like football players doing extra time, hardest they play is running up & down the pitch!

Get rid & while they’re at it get rid of the " I have a try, but just…."!

Give the ref the option of a second opinion from the VR to check for infringements not to look to for ways to overturn the on field decision.