Elliott Whitehead holds talks over shock Super League return

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Elliott Whitehead holds talks over shock Super League return

Post by josie andrews »

The England international has been approached about a possible return to Super League in 2025.

Elliott Whitehead could make a sensational return to Super League next year with the England forward holding conversations with clubs about a potential move back to the competition. Rugby League Live can reveal that at least two clubs have reached out to the back-rower, who is said to be open to the possibility of returning to the Northern Hemisphere to bring an end to his career.

Whitehead has already confirmed this season will be his last with NRL club Canberra Raiders, with head coach Ricky Stuart also confirming the club was preparing for life without him beyond the end of the season. However, the 34-year-old has not officially confirmed he is retiring at the end of the season and it is understood he has held conversations about potentially going around again in 2025.

Rugby League Live understands that two of the clubs that have spoken to Whitehead are Hull FC and Catalans Dragons, though at this stage, both clubs are thought to be at a point of early discussions with the England forward, who announced his international retirement at the end of last season.

Whitehead has previously played for the Dragons of course, spending three seasons in Perpignan before joining Canberra ahead of the 2016 season. He previously played for hometown club, Bradford Bulls, while they were in Super League.

The Dragons already know they have lost Mike McMeeken next season, with the forward signing for Wakefield Trinity. That has opened a position in their squad for next season, with Whitehead among those that are being considered.

As for the Black and Whites, it's well-known that new Director of Rugby, Richie Myler, is planning a major rebuild of the current squad and Whitehead would fit the bill as a major name, with the club already announcing the signing of John Asiata from Leigh Leopards.

Back-row is thought to be a particular area of focus for Hull heading into 2025. Jordan Lane has spent a large chunk of the season playing in a more central role while Jayden Okunbor has struggled for form and is currently playing in the reserves. Cam Scott has played at back-row, but he is expected to join Wakefield Trinity next year, while Ligi Sao has also played there but is better known for playing in the middle.

One potential stumbling block is that Whitehead is thought to have a job post-playing lined up at the Raiders, and it's unclear whether that would still be on the table if he decided to continue his playing career.

Last year, Whitehead told the Yorkshire Post: “I have kind of got something sorted with Canberra. Hopefully I will go into coaching.

“I’m not too sure what that role will be yet. I will sit down with Ricky towards the back end of the season and go through that with him, but I will definitely be staying in rugby league somewhere and most likely at Canberra Raiders.

“I have still got another year at the Raiders and I’ll be trying my best to win the premiership. That’s my goal going into next year and hopefully I can finish on a high.”

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... 4776833d50
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan