Sam Walters and Mike Cooper to be included in Wigan's 21-man squad as Matt Peet delivers early squad news

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Sam Walters and Mike Cooper to be included in Wigan's 21-man squad as Matt Peet delivers early squad news

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet insists that the timing must be right to introduce Sam Walters back into first-team action as anticipation grows for the towering forward's Wigan Warriors debut.

Peet has confirmed that the 23-year-old will be included in the club’s 21-man squad to face Huddersfield Giants alongside Mike Cooper, who missed last week’s victory over Catalans Dragons due to head injury protocols.

Walters recently marked his return to the field for the club’s reserves, scoring a try in the 44-0 victory over Hull KR at Robin Park in his first game since suffering a broken collarbone during the pre-season friendly against Hull FC at the MKM Stadium.

“When a player has been out for so long, particularly when they’ve not played for the club properly, you’re just happy to see them back out there,” Peet said.

“I thought he built into the game. I’ve had some good discussions with Sam this week and I think he’ll get better and better.

“Him and Mike (Cooper) will both be in the 21-man squad. Whether they’re in the 17 or not will be confirmed.”

Walters was one of most eye-catching movements during the off-season, making the switch from Leeds Rhinos following an impressive 2023 campaign at Headingley Stadium that included six tries in 17 first-team appearances.

Anticipation is growing regarding his Wigan debut, but Peet insists it’s about getting the timing right for his return to first-team action, with the reigning champions to take on Huddersfield this Saturday at the John Smith’s Stadium for Super League Round 11.

He’s a player we identified who could add something and will be a good fit for us and that hasn’t changed,” Peet continued.

“We’re all really excited to get him out there and integrate him into the team and into the club.

“I’ve got no doubt that he’ll bring something when he does, it’s just about getting the timing of that right.”

Meanwhile, Willie Isa made his first appearance at the club’s training facilities at Robin Park this week for the first time since suffering a fracture dislocation injury to his ankle against Castleford Tigers in the Challenge Cup.

There is still no official timeframe for the veteran back-rower.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ws-4619294
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Sam Walters and Mike Cooper to be included in Wigan's 21-man squad as Matt Peet delivers early squad news

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

It would be a pretty major boost to have Sam fit at the weekend. Definitely gives us something a little different. I think he would be ideal to have either starting or on the bench to Interchange with Junior on that right edge and the timing (if he's fit enough) would itself be a major boost giving him minutes at Huddersfield before the cup semi.
southportcdm

Re: Sam Walters and Mike Cooper to be included in Wigan's 21-man squad as Matt Peet delivers early squad news

Post by southportcdm »

I'd like to see Walters get some first team minutes this weekend but maybe Peet doesn't think he'll be fit enough to play a role in the semi-final. If Peet's not planning for him to play in the semi he won't play him this weekend. My worry is that if Faz or Junior pick up an injury or ban at the weekend we would need Walters in the semi so we should play him in the less important game at Huddersfield.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Yes play walters 100%.Im all for resting 1 or 2 as long as we dont go silly..Lets not forget that Huddersfield are also in the semis the following week
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Definitely need to play Sam Walters, he could be the difference needed against HKR in the semi.