Mike Cooper to miss St Helens derby as head coach Matt Peet provides injury latest

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Mike Cooper to miss St Helens derby as head coach Matt Peet provides injury latest

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors will be without Mike Cooper for at least next week’s home derby against rivals St Helens after the veteran prop failed his head injury assessment in the opening exchanges against Leigh Leopards.
The 35-year-old forward was forced from the action inside the opening two minutes against Adrian Lam’s outfit after a collision with opposition forward Robbie Mulhern at The Brick Community Stadium.

His team-mates went on to claim a 24-6 victory in the Battle of the Borough, extending their unbeaten run to nine in all competitions, with Paul Wellens’ Saints up next for the reigning champions next Friday, 8:00pm kick-off.

Ireland international Liam Byrne was the man to miss out for the Warriors in their game day 17, while talented youngster Jack Farrimond partnered Harry Smith in the halves for the first time with starting full-back Jai Field still a month away from full fitness with a hamstring injury.

Providing the latest on Cooper post-match, Wigan boss Matt Peet explained: “He's alright, he's disappointed but it's one of them things, the timing and coming together of two heads.

He'll sit down for a week and rightly so, when it's like that and it's that clean it's important that the players are looked after.

“It's an easy one to accept as a coach, it might be that we'll give him a bit longer (time off). We'll look after him.

“These things happen in games of rugby, they are not nice to see to anyone but the players' health and welfare in the short and long-term has to be priority.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... st-4693126
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: Mike Cooper to miss St Helens derby as head coach Matt Peet provides injury latest

Post by moto748 »

He'll be a real loss. Although after watching Saints tonight... But I'm sure next weekend will be different.
fozzie58

Re: Mike Cooper to miss St Helens derby as head coach Matt Peet provides injury latest

Post by fozzie58 »

He took a hit alright you could almost see the tweety birds flying round his head as he got up
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I get the feeling coops is feeling his age this season.Although very steady he doesnt seem to have the same impact.Was a great signing though and never let us down.Its no downgrade bringing in harvey hill
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Hopefully this doesn't mean that Byrne is brought back in, remember what happened at stains.
Let's have Hill in the team.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Ipinwigan wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:59 am Hopefully this doesn't mean that Byrne is brought back in, remember what happened at stains.
I don’t get this anti-Byrne rhetoric, when we played Penrith he was outstanding against probably the best team on the planet. Personally, I am not bothered who is selected I trust Matty Peet to get it right.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

The trouble with Byrne is his line speed in defence, is too quick and if he gets the tackle wrong he is likely to be sin binned or sent off.
In the big games adrenaline is running high and the chance of the sin bins is higher.
This wouldn't have been an issue in the past, but in this idiotic refereeing times, it is. Better not to run the risk.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Ipinwigan wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:34 pm The trouble with Byrne is his line speed in defence, is too quick and if he gets the tackle wrong he is likely to be sin binned or sent off.
In the big games adrenaline is running high and the chance of the sin bins is higher.
This wouldn't have been an issue in the past, but in this idiotic refereeing times, it is. Better not to run the risk.
It’s the idiotic rules that are being applied by referees to eager to penalise anything aggressive, last night was a prime example. Sending a player to the sin bin for an over aggressive tackle is a perfect example. On the issue of refereeing Mr Moore made a basic error last evening, he gave Wigan six again in their own half, he should know that is a penalty.

On the issue of players. I want our pack to have good line speed and plenty of aggression it’s what wins big games. I do however accept that sometimes it can be costly.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:14 pm
Ipinwigan wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:59 am Hopefully this doesn't mean that Byrne is brought back in, remember what happened at stains.
I don’t get this anti-Byrne rhetoric, when we played Penrith he was outstanding against probably the best team on the planet. Personally, I am not bothered who is selected I trust Matty Peet to get it right.
Totally agree. Whoever's picked is fine by me too. Matty not done to bad of a job so far just look in trophy room.
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

For me Byrne compared to other players this season has struggled with the new rules by now he should be there or there about but he does look like he’s still struggling with the rules hence why he’s not being picked
The artist formally known as fozziekskem