How can we loose that?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Martin Taylor

How can we loose that?

Post by Martin Taylor »

How the hell have we lost with a 16 nill lead? Both centres are totally useless, Richards can't tackle and Vialecki doesn't even want to know. I feel sorry for Moran, he played so hard tonight. We lack a leader, and as much as i love O'loughlin, he is certainly not ready. However, he has not been in his normal position tonight. I am really embarrased that we can blow a 16 points to nill lead at home!
Martin Taylor

Re: How can we loose that?

Post by Martin Taylor »

What's your view of the game Doug?
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Great first half, we got tired and lacked ideas in the second period. My gutt reaction is to slag them off, but that would be just my massive amount of disapointment being vented. I feel that with the amount of new players we have in and the players returning from injury that 2 friendlies where not enough. We did look more like a team tonight at times, however we where just not not quite good enough to win the game. We have improved on last week, there is no doubt of that. I think with a few more games we will be alot better for it, we looked at times like 13 individuals, that is where more friendlies would have helped. If we had played Castleford and Wakefield in our first two games we might have gotten away with it, we didn't, we played Les Catalans who where high on emotion, and the second favorites to win the league in Leeds. I think with a few more games and players coming back and gelling we will improve alot.
Having Hock and Flectcher back will be a huge boost for us, also Rads will add some solidity at the back. I'm not knocking my young name sake by any means, I think he has been superb over the first two games, however Rads always gives players that confidence from the back.
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

A good amd fair reflection Chris. I feel the same as you. We are not far off the mark. I feel we will continue to improve over the season, and might still be there pushing all the way!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

The main thing that stood out is that Lockers is not a stand-off. If Millward really rates Brown so highly, why was he only brought on with 5 minutes left?

Moran had an excellent game, as did Ashton and all the forwards. I felt we shaded the forward battle overall, although Peacock was always a handful.

I weas much more impressed with DV than I have been previously, especially that tackle into touch from 10 yards infield, but the lack of a real stand-off meant the backs got no decent ball. Much better defence through most of the game, but credit Leeds for making the most of what few defensive lapses there were.
Considering I didn't really expect to win, the half-time lead was a bonus, but Burrow & McGuire showed what a real half-back partnership is like.

Haven't seen the video yet...there are quite a few incidents I'd like to have another look at, but as usual, the ref didn't do us any favours.
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:( Great first half, which game did you go to, we where hammered for 30 mins, winning 16 nil at halftime but the writing was on the wall, we are not good, skillfull or quick enough, o'loughlin is not a capain. Leeds just waited for the mistakes, this is going to be a very long season, worse start than even last year.
and only 17000 at the JJB, we will become small change in Wigan before long !

:angry: :angry:
Ancient&Loyal

Post by Ancient&Loyal »

Have to agree with we need a coach. Lockers is not a captain and not a stand off. To be fair he's been out of action for a year and to me looks like he needs to come off the bench for a few weeks becuase he's been pretty poor for the opening two games. But to put Sean to one side for a moment were was our superstar winger Mark Calderwood and the two centre's. Please tell me things will get better. Please.
Sometimes rugby really hurts.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

we_need_a_coach posted:
:( Great first half, which game did you go to, we where hammered for 30 mins, winning 16 nil at halftime but the writing was on the wall, we are not good, skillfull or quick enough, o'loughlin is not a capain. Leeds just waited for the mistakes, this is going to be a very long season, worse start than even last year.
and only 17000 at the JJB, we will become small change in Wigan before long !

:angry: :angry:
As usual I will just read your comments and dismiss them, if you didn't seem so bitter in every post you've ever made, your posts might hold some credibility, but they don't.
We have plenty of skillful players, higahm, Godwin have plenty of skill around te ruck area, our props can all offload, Tickle and Lockers can both handle a ball, so that's another arguement over. We do lack some creativity at times, I will give you that(not that you said that).
We have plenty of pace, Ashton, Dallas and Calderwood can all move, Moran has pace if gets open field, Higham and Godwin are as fast as any hookers out there, so thats that arguement sorted.
Lockers has played 2 games as captain, so that doesn't prove anything either way.
superleague

Post by superleague »

anybody else have problems with there old season tickets that were supposed to be re-activated as mine didnt work i had to then go and que for 50 mins to just get a ticket to get in and now i will have to wait for a new season ticket to be posted and they also said that every home game i will have to get a ticket for each home game until my season ticket arrives.

now to the game very dissapointed, great frist half, were was the defence in the second? agree lockers isnt a captain, IMO higham was poor again, richards bombed two tries (i think) overall a big improvemeant on last week but the defence is a big worry were are either hanging back, some players shooting out leaving gaps, going high all the time i think theres only one player who knows that players have legs which is hansen. theres no excuse to bomd a 16 nil lead.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Richards can't tackle??? What were you doing in the first half? He was tackling players like a man on a mission!! Admittedly his second half was quiet. Where are these 70metre drop outs? I'm still waiting to see one. Vaealiki looked good in spells towards the end of the game he looked useless, he's a big guy and he can't even run around Danny Mc!
The game always seems to change direction when Wagga goes off the field. I'd of liked to see him brought on at the end. Higham had a better game than last week i thought, he was actually running at the line which was good to see, think he should do more of that because he looks dangerous near the line.
Have to say i was impressed with Hargreaves in the second row, he seems to have trimmed up a bit and its a brilliant way of getting more out of the lad, thought he was outstanding tonight. Feka, Logan and Seuseu all good, they all did some pretty devastating runs, trampling leeds which is always good to see, though it seems logan doesnt last long when hes on. Tomkins was very solid in defence, as was tickle. With hock and fletcher to return still, i can only see improvement in our pack, we should be devastating when we get those two back.
Lockers should be at loose forward, he's not a stand off i don't know what millwards trying to achieve but he's failing to achieve it, why leave our no.6 out the team then our reserve stand off on the bench until 10 minutes to go? Makes it seem like he has no faith in them, i dont think we're getting the best from O'loughlin, partly because he's not match fit, but mainly because hes out of position. Moran had a good game, apart from the fact he didnt realise his pathetic attempts to kick through and chase were not working, you'd of thought he'd of realised and tried something a bit more inventive.
Ashton, well could this guy be any better? He just seems to have endless energy and is all over the field just when needed and has a real eye for oppurtunities i'd say Radlinski will have stiff competition trying to get his place back. Calderwood seemed very strong tonight, probably because he was trying to get one over on leeds, but i thought he did very well. Dallas had a bit of a quiet game, some very good runs but don't think he was involved enough. Brown wasn't on long enough to judge what kind of game he had.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3