Millward press conference

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Millward press conference

Post by GeoffN »

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=1851

...and more detail here:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 810786.stm

The most accurate bit being:
"It's such a high-profile club, but everyone has to be honest in the organisation - this isn't the team that won 10 Wembley finals in a row."

That, at least, is true!

ian.birchall

Re: Millward press conference

Post by ian.birchall »

GeoffN posted:

"It's such a high-profile club, but everyone has to be honest in the organisation - this isn't the team that won 10 Wembley finals in a row."

That, at least, is true!

As I've said many times before, this man has no idea what the clubs traditions are and what they mean Millward OUT. :exc:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
emma warriors simply the best

Re: Millward press confere...

Post by emma warriors simply the best »

If we lose on sunday surely milward will be out because they wouldnt have stood for this if it was Dennis Betts
LOYAL
WARRIOR

PHIL BAILEY: "I am totally thrilled to be joining the Wigan Warriors. Everyone believes in the club and I can’t wait to join Wigan for 2007".

Iafeta Paleaaesina:"Our fans support over recent years has been astonishing. They are the backbone of the Club and we are truly grateful for the way they get behind us".

!!!WARRIORS 4 LIFE!!!

Born a WARRIOR!
Live a WARRIOR!
Die a WARRIOR!

we can build this dream together
standing strong forever
Nothing's gonna stop us now

Proud to be a wiganer!!!
DaveO

Re: Millward press conference

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=1851

...and more detail here:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 810786.stm

That, at least, is true!
The snag is it isn't up to the one that won the CC in 2002 either. Hashe realised that yet?

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Just read the BBC version and here are some quotes:
"Coaching is about getting the best out of the team, giving them support and finding solutions and just getting on with your job."
Getting the best out of your team? Hmmm. Go then Ian, lets see you do it.
"I've got an old saying: 'If you end up listening to people on the terraces, you'll end up standing with them'. You've got to stick to your beliefs and work hard with the guys.
Most of the complaints from fans are about playing players out of position and if he sticks to what he believes and he believes that it is a good idea, he might find the new board are listening to the fans even if he isn't.

Has he now decided the fans opinions are worthless?
.....but there are going to be changes as there have been something like 24 players who have left the club since the end of 2004.

"This includes a huge batch of experienced players and players with international experience who have influence and talk in the dressing room.

"I find we're a very quiet team, and that's where Bryan Fletcher will have a big affect when he gets going."
He finds it a quiet team? That makes it sound like he is sat on the outside looking in. It is his job to get it motivated, not look form afar passing comment about it as if it isn't his team.

The comment about Fletecher is surely a tacit acknowledgement he gave the captaincy to the wrong player? Why isn't Lockers having any effect on changing the "quiet team" culture. What about the other new players? Are they all shy?

Dave

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

ian.birchall posted:
GeoffN posted:

That, at least, is true!

As I've said many times before, this man has no idea what the clubs traditions are and what they mean Millward OUT. :exc:
OK, lets say you get your wish, Millward goes after the weekend,

1 what does this do to team morale?

2. Who do you think would replace him, and what will they bring?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

One point he makes that is a good one is the amount of players that have left in the last couple of years weve lost alot of good and influential players Faz, Smith, Newton, more recently Rads, Carney gone, O'conner, Lam to name a few

I fear next season will be similar losing Dallas probably Orr and Moran who knows who else i think after this we should have a stable team to go forward with
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

WiganWarrior posted:
One point he makes that is a good one is the amount of players that have left in the last couple of years weve lost alot of good and influential players Faz, Smith, Newton, more recently Rads, Carney gone, O'conner, Lam to name a few
Let's go through these players:

Faz - released while under contract
Smith - allowed to return home because he wasn't wanted
Newton - swapped for Higham
Rads - retired; no one's fault
Carney - released while under contract
O'conner - was so disillusioned with the club that he left
Lam - highly successful academy coach allowed to leave
WiganWarrior posted:
I fear next season will be similar losing Dallas probably Orr and Moran who knows who else i think after this we should have a stable team to go forward with
Dallas - retiring, should we convince him to stay for one more season?
Orr - not likely to stay unless a major turn in form
Moran - supposed to retiring, being offered chance to stay?

As you can see from the above - a lot of bad decisions have been made. Rads retirement aside - we seem to want to keep average players whilst letting the good ones go
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Matthew posted:
Let's go through these players:

Smith - allowed to return home because he wasn't wanted
Carney - released while under contract
O'conner - was so disillusioned with the club that he left

As you can see from the above - a lot of bad decisions have been made. Rads retirement aside - we seem to want to keep average players whilst letting the good ones go
Of course, there may have been other issues with some of these. O'Connor and Smith were both out-of-contract, we don't know how much money they wanted for a new contract and there may have been the usual salary cap and 20/20 things for the club to consider. To keep two more senior players would have meant no 20/20 places for two kids, who may have left and gone on to haunt us by playing elsewhere...

Carney was released whilst under contract, but his form wasn't good last year when he wasn't injured, he was pretty determined to move no matter what. I suspect that if he were still here finishing his contract he may not have the right attitude for the team.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

exile in Tiger country posted:
ian.birchall posted:
GeoffN posted:

That, at least, is true!

OK, lets say you get your wish, Millward goes after the weekend,

1 what does this do to team morale?

2. Who do you think would replace him, and what will they bring?
you get the lam back who all the young lads and the fans love team morale back up and a coach the players would die for :) and then i woke up from my dream :eh:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME