Re: Coaches

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Schalk Brits... posted:
Are we to assume that several of our recent coaches were appointed by mistake?If this is the case then how many chances does the man or men that appoint them get ?They are proving themselves to be incompotent but still remain!

So who is next?
Noble
Anderson
Farrar
Lam
Kear :D
Lang
Bennett
Or could John Pendlebury take over youth development seeing Dean Bell appointed?Bell has seen through many of the players from a young age and his rapport should not be underestimated.-Just a thought.
I'm not sure if Deano would want another crack at coaching a Superleague, with all due respect to the great man he hardly covered himself in glory at Leeds! But he has been a great success, at both Leeds and Wigan, in his role of bringing the kids through and so long as he's happy doing that then I say we keep him doing what he seems to do best.

With Joe Lydon currently out-of-work, did he do coaching whilst in RU? I don't follow that sport so I'm not entirely sure what it was he did there!?!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Fraggle posted:
Schalk Brits... posted:
Are we to assume that several of our recent coaches were appointed by mistake?If this is the case then how many chances does the man or men that appoint them get ?They are proving themselves to be incompotent but still remain!

So who is next?
Noble
Anderson
Farrar
Lam
Kear :D
Lang
Bennett
Or could John Pendlebury take over youth development seeing Dean Bell appointed?Bell has seen through many of the players from a young age and his rapport should not be underestimated.-Just a thought.
I'm not sure if Deano would want another crack at coaching a Superleague, with all due respect to the great man he hardly covered himself in glory at Leeds! But he has been a great success, at both Leeds and Wigan, in his role of bringing the kids through and so long as he's happy doing that then I say we keep him doing what he seems to do best.

With Joe Lydon currently out-of-work, did he do coaching whilst in RU? I don't follow that sport so I'm not entirely sure what it was he did there!?!
IMO Bell is far too smart to risk his current job for life at Wigan by getting into coaching!!
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

It's just been reported on teletext that Bradford have given Wigan permission to talk to Brian Noble,
Is it just me or was there something in Steve Mcnamara turning Hull down ? Makes you wonder don't you think? Maybe Mcnamara already knew he was in line for head coach at Bradford?, I think there is a good chance Nobby would come to Wigan, After all he has won more or less everything with Bradford, He would find getting Wigan back on track a great challenge, One he would relish i think.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Dawber posted:
It's just been reported on teletext that Bradford have given Wigan permission to talk to Brian Noble,
Is it just me or was there something in Steve Mcnamara turning Hull down ? Makes you wonder don't you think? Maybe Mcnamara already knew he was in line for head coach at Bradford?, I think there is a good chance Nobby would come to Wigan, After all he has won more or less everything with Bradford, He would find getting Wigan back on track a great challenge, One he would relish i think.
There may be something in this. Last season there were rumours of discontent within the camp when they made their bad start, and changes are inevitably afoot there with the departure of Chris Caisley. I had expected Noble to take a seat "upstairs" at Bradford in the near future, for some reason I don't see him being coach there for the long-term, but perhaps a new challenge would interest him. Would he be "tame" enough for Maurice? I'm not sure, Nobby's well-known in the sport and not afraid to voice his opinion, but at the same time he's not as controversial a character as Millward. Just so long, if he did come here, as he leaves Spottyman at Odsal...

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

i have known dean bell for about ten years, and he is a top bloke and works well with the young players, but i dont know how he would cope at the top level, we need some1 with experience.we can not afford to try something out as if he fails we are down
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

si_bax posted:
i dont know how he would cope at the top level, we need some1 with experience.
Well, he's got experience having been head coach at Leeds before Graham Murray came along. Wasn't a great success at the job, but he's certainly more qualified than Farrell or Lam.

[hr]
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

very true, if you look at milward, he was perfect for the job, successfull, experienced in good young players, there is not many people better in the game. it doesnt matter who they bring in, ther is something wrong at the club