The Unthinkable

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ragman

The Unthinkable

Post by ragman »

I'll probably get hounded off here for heresy, but here goes....

Does anyone think that we are now in such a state, that relegation might be the only realistic way out of this mess, in order to purge this mess of a squad and start from scratch.

Financially, DW could bear a year in NL1, and we could hopefully unburden ourselves of the deadweights who are currently bleeding the club into an undignified slow death.

jinkin jimmy

Re: The Unthinkable

Post by jinkin jimmy »

I'd be more in favour of breaking the cap now and staying up. We will get in trouble, but not too much IMO. I think the chairmen of the other clubs would be pleased to see our supporters next season.
pie eater and proud of it

Post by pie eater and proud of it »

What worries me about relegation is far more deep rooted than a year in NL1.

Its the possible knock ons that worry me.........

If we go down then think of this : Less fans go watching. Meaning less kids, who are future fans. Less kids watching mean less enthusiasm for the sport, meaning less kids playing at junior/amateur levels, meaning less kids coming through in the next decade, meaning we have less quality players coming through the ranks, meaning we are struggling to produce talent and relying on other clubs to do so and us to buy them.

Then theres the lost revenue short AND long term. Kids who would have watched rugby may get the soccer bug and become life long poofball fans, lost to our sport. Their kids are likely to follow their parents and also watch soccer.....

Relegation is a complete and utter disaster. I will say it again.. DISASTER.

The players who look likely to be taking us there will be alright, they will probably sign for someone else and their nightmare will be restricted to one season.

Ours, the fans, will go on.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

pie eater and proud of it posted:
What worries me about relegation is far more deep rooted than a year in NL1.

Its the possible knock ons that worry me.........

If we go down then think of this : Less fans go watching. Meaning less kids, who are future fans. Less kids watching mean less enthusiasm for the sport, meaning less kids playing at junior/amateur levels, meaning less kids coming through in the next decade, meaning we have less quality players coming through the ranks, meaning we are struggling to produce talent and relying on other clubs to do so and us to buy them.

Then theres the lost revenue short AND long term. Kids who would have watched rugby may get the soccer bug and become life long poofball fans, lost to our sport. Their kids are likely to follow their parents and also watch soccer.....

Relegation is a complete and utter disaster. I will say it again.. DISASTER.

The players who look likely to be taking us there will be alright, they will probably sign for someone else and their nightmare will be restricted to one season.

Ours, the fans, will go on.
I agree.A complete DISASTER. Look whats happened to Widnes. That could be us if we're not carefull. Drastic action needed NOW
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

pie eater and proud of it posted;
Its the possible knock ons that worry me
No pun intended :)
Absolutly spot on.

The team is not playing to it's potential I think we can all agree. The team would be playing better if they were now in the top 6 because they would feel that this is a fair reflection of their abilities.

Because they are in the mire their mindset appears wrong and the "edge" is not in their play. However at the backs of their minds they know that they will get picked up by SL/NRL for next season, (if relegated) or they will retire with a bucket load of DW's cash.

They are a dreadfully unprofessional bunch who appear to have spit the dummy out.
NTA1

Post by NTA1 »

I think there is no doubt now that we are going down. It is clear that it was not Millward's fault that team kept losing, the 'team' (and I use that terminology loosely) is rubbish.
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

I must agree NTA1. Unless Nobby has brought a magic wand with him to turn the likes of Moran and Orr into something approaching a half-back pairing and pack which puts in some effort, it will be off to Workington and Batley for the Wigan Warriors next season next season.
dads58

Post by dads58 »

Maybe relegation? maybe not. Disaster?
Didn`t seem to have done cass any harm last night from where I was sitting! It is a pity those responsible have a get out clause though.
We have slipped and slipped and slipped since Superleague. (we only won the challenge cup because of an unbelievably easy run to the final). It is going to take something really drastic to get us going again. After all look what happened last time we got relegated and then promoted
If, (IF) we do go down we still have the best and most loyal fans in the rugby league world!!!!!
Most famous team in the world playing the greatest game in the universe!
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

If it happens, then so be it.
would be interesting to see the impact on other SL clubs finances, as the average attendance figures would drop by a fair percentage.
not time for conspiracy theory just yet, but it may come down to some shock wins over top 6 teams if we are in this situation with only half a dozen games to go.
could the likes of Stains, Leeds, Bradford or Wire afford not to play us in the league. Saints nearly always a sell out as is Wire when we play at their grounds.
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

If Huddersfield beat Stains tonight then i will think something is going on, The Stains fans have predicted on rlfans that they will only get beat twice this season, Castleford at home and Castleford away just so that we will get relegated, I know they are talking out of there backsides but there are some Stains fans that really want us to go down regardless of the revenue we take to there club ect.