Out coached

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Doveoverdave

Out coached

Post by Doveoverdave »

We are not good enough and this is the general feeling of the majority of the posters. However it is also the belief of the majority that we have one of the best coaches in SL - he was out done last night.

Wakeys simple game plan of kick to touch, organise the defensive line and wait for an error was the order of the day. Wigan continued attempt field positions with the kickers hopelessly out of touch.

Nobby has been accused on a number of occaisions of being a one trick pony and it happened again on Saturday. With the team back peddaling and struggling to even get in the oppositions half of the field the team persisted in the same non profit rugby with Nobby excepting the status quo and changing nothing from sidelines.

For once I believe that the forwards did enough but the backs are a disaster. Dallas is completely washed up, when will PR ever run around anyone DV is our best centre so that is enough said about that position and Ashton was a coward of the highest order.

His abdication of responsibility is at best a deriliction of duty and at worst cowardice in the face of the enemy as he nochalantly kicks the ball into touch to give Wakey an attacking scrum that they score from.

Why didn't he just drop onto the ball!

I don't want the young guy shot but this should serve as a salient lesson in the responsibility of the FB position and some times it is your job to defend and not abdicate this duty to others by giving the opposition free attacking plays.

Just hope the coach has the nounce to give him the advice! :angry:
chrisJJ

Re: Out coached

Post by chrisJJ »

i know bring barret over early on loan
To be the best
you have to beat the best
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

I dont think we were out coached that much.

We were out kicked Moran has no idea about kicking the ball. Even if the message did not get from Noble to kick for territory, Moran should have known.

We are lacking in about 2 areas of the game. And it all comes from Moran. Lack of tackling and his kicking is killing us.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Moran has a breat kicking game on their line, get him in his own half and he's stuffed. O'loughlin was no better.
Why were we putting the ball through 3 sets of hands before we kicked it aswel ?
Orr is our best place kicker, though it looks like he's carrying that knee injury.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

our kicking game or lack of it lost us the game .oh and the video ref
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Ashton last night had he shown the guts you need at fullback would have taken that ball and not kicked it into touch. Sorry to say, and I know it's looking back and not forward, Rads would have dived on that ball, and we would have had possesion. At fullback you have to be 100% commited and willing to put your body on the line.
Ashton took the easy option, I expect things like that from Mathers at Leeds. I was hoping Ashton had more than that, yet again I have to question his heart.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Flash posted:
ChrisA posted:
Ashton last night had he shown the guts you need at fullback would have taken that ball and not kicked it into touch. Sorry to say, and I know it's looking back and not forward, Rads would have dived on that ball, and we would have had possesion. At fullback you have to be 100% commited and willing to put your body on the line.
Ashton took the easy option, I expect things like that from Mathers at Leeds. I was hoping Ashton had more than that, yet again I have to question his heart.
Rubbish!
He had plenty of time to cover that ball, if he had the quality and commitment you keep saying he has, he would have done so. Not too hard to grasp really.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Flash posted:
His abdication of responsibility is at best a deriliction of duty and at worst cowardice in the face of the enemy as he nochalantly kicks the ball into touch to give Wakey an attacking scrum that they score from.

Why didn't he just drop onto the ball!
Beacause if he's tried to drop on the ball in atrocious weather with two players bearing down on him and failed to gatherthe ball, a certain DOD would have been shouting "why didn't he just hoof it into row Z!". Talk sense, man!
i agree with DOD he should have dived on the ball. I played union at his age against men and i would have dived on it. I would have got a kicking i can gurantee you of that. But id still have got the ball. To win you must put your body on the line and few of our do not.

In that position where we needed the ball he should have dived on it. Im not saying hes a coward but i do feel he made the wrong choice. And his age has nothing to do with it. Your young enough your good enough.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

He was right over the ball, he had the time to dive on it, and he wouldnt have slid out. When you know we leak points close to our own line like we have been doing, you do everything you can to not give them possesion back in your own quarter.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i must admit my first reaction was "thats the easy option"