Wigan wont be relegated theory??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Quinndog

Wigan wont be relegated theory??

Post by Quinndog »

I have heard from a few sources that i know who are saying that they have heard that if wigan finish bottom then super league wont relegate them because of the revenue they make from the club. The wigan brand is known all over rugby and they will loose money if there not in the league e.g clubs making money when we play them away. I was alsotold that some clubs in league 1 have been offeredlarge sums of cash from the super league for them to stay down and rebuild their clubs.
Would the super league rather see catalans v saints rather than us or trent barrett playing in league 1!!
DaveO

Re: Wigan wont be relegated th...

Post by DaveO »

Quinndog posted:
I have heard from a few sources that i know who are saying that they have heard that if wigan finish bottom then super league wont relegate them because of the revenue they make from the club.
What are your sources of this information? Other message boards or someone with a bit of credability?
The wigan brand is known all over rugby and they will loose money if there not in the league e.g clubs making money when we play them away. I was alsotold that some clubs in league 1 have been offeredlarge sums of cash from the super league for them to stay down and rebuild their clubs.
The RFL have made an offer of £100,000 to the "promoted" side to stay down. None of the sides in trhe frame for promotion are likely to take it.

Can you ever imagine Leigh taking £100,000 instead of sending Wigan down to NL1 in their place?

Even if they needed the money they would never miss that opportunity.

The only way we are going to avoid relegation is by not finishing in a relegation spot.

Dave
primrose-n-blue

Re: Wigan wont be relegated th...

Post by primrose-n-blue »

Quinndog posted:
see catalans v saints rather than us or trent barrett playing in league 1!!
Saints v's Catalans!!!

:hehe: Yippeee, top of the league!
primrose-n-blue

Re: Wigan wont be relegate...

Post by primrose-n-blue »

DaveO posted:

Can you ever imagine Leigh taking £100,000 instead of sending Wigan down to NL1 in their place?
Dave
100.000 means nothing, it doesn't matter if it was 750.000 your still only be able to spend 400.000 on a salary cap so no advantage would be gained.
Quinndog

Post by Quinndog »

I got this from a friend of mine whos uncle is on the st helens board,He normally tells me different info on all rugby news before it happens he said up to 200,000 had been offered. Im sure Maurice is doing some major ass lickin to get usouta this mess!!
Donald_Bumsfelt

Post by Donald_Bumsfelt »

If we finish bottom ( & that's still a big if ) we should go down. Simple as.

I can handle being the most hated club in rugby league BUT I couldn't handle being a laughing stock.

However, there's a small part of me can't help but wonder if Lindsay knows something we don't with first the Barrett then Bailey signings for next season.

Frankly, I can see why other teams may be suspicious.......
Quinndog

Post by Quinndog »

I Agreee,First of all signing Noble then barrett and Bailey. Before Noble camehe knew he had a lot of work to do and coming to Wigan was more than a challenge to him.They must Know something because i honestly cant see Barret not playing anywere but super league wigan cant guarantee top crowds if there relegated next season to payhis wages.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Donald_Bumsfelt posted:
If we finish bottom ( & that's still a big if ) we should go down. Simple as.

I can handle being the most hated club in rugby league BUT I couldn't handle being a laughing stock.
Not this one again! Huddersfield were saved form relegation THREE times when they finished bottom because the club who won NL1 had a poor ground or whatever. Hull only exist because of the Gateshead fiasco and Quins as London Broncos went bust owing the tax man 3 million quid. They should not even be in NL1 never mind SL.

They are all in SL when none of them deserved to be at the time things went wrong for them.

They are not a laughing stock and on that basis we should all hope we do avoid relegation in what ever way possible because the consiqences are dire if we go down.

Unfortunately I think all the talk of 14 team leagues and rules being bent for us is just conspiracy theory.
However, there's a small part of me can't help but wonder if Lindsay knows something we don't with first the Barrett then Bailey signings for next season.

Frankly, I can see why other teams may be suspicious.......
People love a conspiracy theory. At the end of a documentary about the Da Vinci code the other night a psychologist explained that despite being presented with obvious and simple evidence to the contrary it is human nature to believe in the conspiracy theory.

That applies here in my opinion.

We are signing a few plauyers for next year so we start to think we have a get out of jail free card.

Lewis, the RFL top man has stated if Wigan finish in the relegation spot they are down according to the rules. How much plainer does it get than that?

That means the only way we would stay up if we did finish in the relegation slot is if the top NL1 club failed already agreed promotion criteria or they accepted the £100K on offer. Neither is likely in my opinion.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The rumour I have heard was told to a friend by John Pendelbury. Apparently, the television companies / sponsors are pushing like crazy to ensure Wigan do not get relegated. Consequently, nobody will be relegated and SL will expand to 14 teams.
mario

Post by mario »

I still think we'll avoid finishing in a relegation position, but Salford chairman John Wilkinson was on GMR a couple of months ago and he seemed pretty sure that if Wigan finished in a relegation position that Superleague would have 13 or 14 teams in it next season.
If this is'nt the case, I think the point in signing the players we are signing, is so that Lindsay can use the same argument he used a few years ago for extending the salary cap by honoring contracts.