defensive concentration, good-bye attack...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
- psycho -

defensive concentration, good-bye attack...

Post by - psycho - »

what kind of training program does mr.noble run? i think he had realised that our defense needed much work to become strong but what is done to help our attack? when he came we were poor in defence but in attack we werent to bad. no we are concentrating on defense alot more, how much of training involves attacking improvements? earlier in the season our attack wasnt to bad eg hudds at home, cats away wasnt bad and leeds at home wasnt bad either. we now have dobby to bolster the attack but is the reason we arent attacking properly because we have been so concetrative of our defense?
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
The Pearl

Re: defensive concentration, g...

Post by The Pearl »

Its because until last week our kicking game has been so poor that we have had no territory to attack from or pressure to apply to other teams. Defence must be the foundation to build on and this will give the side confidence knowing they wil concede 10-20 points (dependant on the opposition). So they do not have to throw the ball around from the off trying to score 40+ points because they will leak 38 at the other end. Our full strength pack, a good kicking game and more confidence will see our attack flourish. When we get a lead to defend we will be a completely different side. I can't remember the last time we had a decent lead??
- psycho -

Re: defensive concentratio...

Post by - psycho - »

well 16-0 wasnt bad against leeds and we looked very threatening. we also had a very good lead against the giants at home, in the second half the margain was closed.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Brain Noble uses an attack through defence method to try and win games. The idea being is if the opposition can't score then all you have to do is score a few tries

Ian Millwards approuch was to out score the opposition, if they score then score two back.

Both these methods work fine provided that you have the right players. Under Millward Wigan could attack well but when put under alot of pressure we could not defence and under Noble Wigan are improving in defence but not doing much in attack.

What Wigan really need at the moment is coach inbetween how Millward coached and how Noble does so that we could attack as well as we did when we played Leeds earlier on in the season but also have the defence to hold onto that lead.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Don't forget, Saints have by far the best defensive record in SL this season, averaging 11 points against per game.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Basil as Nobby's assistant? :wink:
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

- psycho - posted:
well 16-0 wasnt bad against leeds and we looked very threatening. we also had a very good lead against the giants at home, in the second half the margain was closed.
I'm not convinced about our attack earlier in the season. We looked pretty good for about 20 minutes against Leeds at home, and the same vs Huddersfield at home. That's not saying we had a decent defence, we had an occasionally good phases of attack. I think overall we've been deficient all season in attack, and it's been something for a couple of seasons if you ask me. For a long time we've looked better with long-range attacks than trying to pressure an opposition line, going back before we lost the likes of Faz, Carney, Rads et al.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Noble is doing a great job for me, he is working on the weakest points first. We can criticise all day saying he should do this and he should do that. Come on our feelings must be at this time we have the best coach in Super League.

The Pearl

Post by The Pearl »

every successful side is built on strong defence and a self belief. These are the 2 things that Noble is working on 1st, that is well documented. Has anyone seen the 2005 Tri-Nations DVD he puts that message and himself across very well in that. We have the right man for the job now and the next few years.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

nobby has got it right and our attack will get better now we have someone who can kick . we where unlucky not to put a few more points on the board against the saints and not many have done that