Chev Walker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
HindleyGreen28

Chev Walker

Post by HindleyGreen28 »

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid ... ch+to+Bath

Bath have won the race to sign rugby league star Chev Walker from Super League side Leeds Rhinos, after the 23-year-old decided to switch codes in search of a new challenge.

Walker turned down the chance to sign a new contract at Headingley and it was expected that the Leeds centre would move Down Under to join the NRL.

However, Walker has now decided to remain in Britain and try his hand at rugby union, following in the footsteps of Jason Robinson and Andy Farrell.

Walker will now move to The Rec in November following the end of the Super League season, and he already has his sights set on making an immediate impact on the 15-man code.

"After eight seasons with Leeds Rhinos it is time for a new challenge, with the end of my Rhinos contract coinciding with my 24th birthday," Walker told Bath's website.

"Rugby union offers a new stage club and potentially international level. Having decided to switch codes, Bath rugby offers the promise of an exciting brand of rugby at a traditional union club with a great heritage.

"England coach Andy Robinson and Brian Ashton, as the then Bath rugby coach, have become inspirational mentors and I look forward to working with them in the England camp as well as the new coaching staff at Bath the rest of the Bath rugby squad."

After making his debut at the age of 16, things have not always gone right for Walker and he spent time in prison in 2003, but he has turned things around since then.

Walker has made eight appearances for Great Britain and featured in the Challenge Cup finals in 2003 and 2005, winning the Grand Final in 2004 and the World Club Challenge in 2005.

Bath director of rugby Jack Rowell says that Walker will be a great addition to the squad and has all the attributes to be a success.

"Chev is a young player with proven skills in the cauldron of Super League and he has also represented Great Britain," added Rowell.

"He has made a strong impact in rugby league and is now coming to rugby union. He is a quick, powerful and skilful player who will reinforce the Bath rugby back line.

"He is joining a great club in Bath rugby and he will have one eye on translating his talents onto the international field with England. However patience will be needed with Chev as it will take time for him to adapt to rugby union, as other players who have crossed between the codes have shown."

Bath, who first brought World Cup-winner Robinson from rugby league, added that the deal had been achieved in 'cooperation with the RFU'.
AndyWright

Re: Chev Walker

Post by AndyWright »

shame...

not only for us but for GB also.
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

Why for us ? we already have cover for the centre position, Bailey and Richards, I think he did'nt get any interest from Australia wich is what he really wanted, Going off that quote what impact has Andy farrell had in rugby union?.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

Dawber posted:
Why for us ? we already have cover for the centre position, Bailey and Richards, I think he did'nt get any interest from Australia wich is what he really wanted, Going off that quote what impact has Andy farrell had in rugby union?.
Richards is a winger and only was a stand in centre while Dallas sees out his last year and then move back to the wing where he is now already. We need another centre with Bailey, unless you want Gorillas in the mist Vaeliki there? :D
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Did anyone see that one coming?

Dawber

Post by Dawber »

stevocod posted:
Dawber posted:
Richards is a winger and only was a stand in centre while Dallas sees out his last year and then move back to the wing where he is now already. We need another centre with Bailey, unless you want Gorillas in the mist Vaeliki there? :D
I think if you look at when we signed Richards it was to play centre, I remember because of all the discussion going about at the time, ie "Will he be able to play center" ect ect, Just take a look at where Nobby puts him when Calderwood comes back? The centres for next year will be Bailey and Richards.
Nine

Post by Nine »

"Inspirational mentors"???!!!!! :lol: :lol:

These yawnion PR men are shameless, aren't they? If I could stop laughing I'd be annoyed at the snub to Leeds & RL. Wouldn't you think - having been at Headingley since the age of 16 and having had the club stand by him during his .. er .. indiscretion his "inspirational mentors" might really be people in rugby league? Or is he only inspired by strangers who tell his agent they'd like to pay him lots of money?

W****er! :angry:
Squad number 18!
Martin WWRFL

Post by Martin WWRFL »

i defo think richards will be on the wing next year as he's not strong enough to tackle in the centre's
HindleyGreen28

Post by HindleyGreen28 »

It would make no sense for him to play centre next season, as it would leave us short of a winger with Dallas retiring. I think the lineup will be...

2. Richards
3. Bailey
4. Vaeliki / Goulding
5. Calderwood
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Getting back on topic, this is an example of the salary cap actively removing talent from the game. It's absolute madness IMO.

If, like us, Leeds are able to spend £3m per year on salaries at 50% of their income they should be allowed to do it.

The salary cap's function should be to financially restrain clubs so that they remain in a stable condition, but it is being used to bring the level of the competition down to the lowest common denominator.