Wigan History #4 - Todays Pietastic Fact

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Wigan History #4 - Todays Pietastic Fact

Post by ancientnloyal »

The pie has been around since the ancient Egyptians from 2000 B.C. At some point between 1400 B.C. (Greek settlements) and 600 B.C. (the decline of Egypt) the pie is believed to have passed on to the Greeks by the Egyptians.

From Greece the pie spread to Rome somewhere around 100 B.C. by which time pies had already been around for some 1000 years. The first known pie recipe came from the Romans and was for a rye-crusted goat cheese and honey pie.

Pies appeared in England in the 12th century and were predominantly meat pies. The crust of the pie was referred to as the “coffyn” and there was generally more crust than filling. Sometimes these pies were made with fowl and the legs were left outside the pie to act as handles. For a long time the pastry crust was actually not eaten, serving only to preserve the moisture and flavour of the filling.

A French chef named Guillaume Tirel produced a cookery book in the 14th Century that included a recipe for marinated and sautéed eel which was used for the Christian Lent period when it was forbidden to eat meat.

Pies went to America with the first English settlers. As in Roman times the early American pie crusts were not eaten, but simply designed to hold the filling. Today, virtually every country in the World has some form of pie but Australia (ffs) remains a dominant force when it comes to innovation and quality of pies.

(Wikipedia)

See, as always, the Australians HAVE to beat us dont they, if it isnt Rugby League or Barbeque lighting, it's Pie Eating.

Well, what do I say to that??? TOUGH titty, Wigan are the PIE EATERS.

But sadly, we are not called Pie eaters because we eat Pies... It dates back to a miners’ strike in the 1920’s when Wigan miners were forced back to work before the strike was over. As a result, they were said to have ‘eaten humble pie’ - hence the expression ‘pie eaters’.

:conf: :conf: :conf:

For more delightful interest into Pies, http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A500365 is quite amusing, talking about how Pooles had such an effect when it went bust, that it led to the decline of the rugby team
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Fraggle

Re: Wigan History #4 - Todays ...

Post by Fraggle »

ancientnloyal posted:
there was generally more crust than filling.
Some things never change :(
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
luke_robinsons_angel

Re: Wigan History #4 - Todays ...

Post by luke_robinsons_angel »

ever thought of joining a pub quiz team, because you are full of useless information
Saints are just wiganers who haven't fully evolved

RIP Mike Gregory, one of lifes real legends.
waterside glens

Re: Wigan History #4 - Tod...

Post by waterside glens »

what about the wooly backs ? do you know where that came from it,s used on a strange breed better known for stealin, hub caps and being unemployed :D
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I dont know what you mean waterside glens. :roll:
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
The Pearl

Post by The Pearl »

waterside glens posted:
what about the wooly backs ? do you know where that came from it,s used on a strange breed better known for stealin, hub caps and being unemployed :D
I think that has something to do with those who worked in the cotten mills
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

it was to do with a dispute about landing sheep of the boats in liverpool and the scousser's breaking a strike