Central Park Memories

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Central Park Memories

Post by ancientnloyal »

Reading Bear's post about 'First Match'... I noticed many people hadn't been to Central Park, mainly people aged under 18.

So...

Lets give them somethingto think about and imagine, instead of them looking at Tesco and trying hard to think what Central Park was like...

I'll start (obviously)... I remember the smell of urine and Bitter behind the Poplar Stand.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
- psycho -

Re: Central Park Memories

Post by - psycho - »

i was one so it would be interesting to know of others memories of the legendary ground.

i was to young to really remember but i do remember the ground and my dad saying central park everytime we passed it. id have loved to go there, one of my biggest regrets in life was to not see the mighty cherry and whites play there :(
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Going in the hen pen for a tanner (2 and a half pence) and jumping across the tunnel when the stewards wernt looking .The hen pen was for young supporters on their own if you went with an adult they met you through the turnstiles and you could go in the main stadium.
sudokuwarrior

Post by sudokuwarrior »

I remember many years ago the seats inside the perimeter wall. they were called ringside seats and you were very close to the action on the pitch.
The futures Brett, The future's orange!!!

2007- A fan-tash-tic season!!!!!!!
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Being on the ground when there was 47700 fans on against STains.
sudokuwarrior

Post by sudokuwarrior »

Being stood in what was the Hen Pen when we played Manly and being only 5 foot tall couldn't see a thing.

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

sudokuwarrior posted:

I remember many years ago the seats inside the perimeter wall. they were called ringside seats and you were very close to the action on the pitch.
I used to sit on those, then when I started taking my son, he sat in the same spot! Popular stand, as near halfway as possible. Used to get autographs from the players during the game, in exchange for a swig of pop!
sudokuwarrior

Post by sudokuwarrior »

GeoffN posted:
sudokuwarrior posted:

I used to sit on those, then when I started taking my son, he sat in the same spot! Popular stand, as near halfway as possible. Used to get autographs from the players during the game, in exchange for a swig of pop!
We used to sit just a few seats from the dugout.

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I sat on the wall on the opposite side, loved night matches when it was raining, didnt watch the match just sat there looking at the rain throw down from over the roof. Also picking the paint off the wall before the match.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
stacey c

Post by stacey c »

Used to arrive at mad number of hours before turnstiles (no posh season ticket then!) to be the first through so that me and my mate could leg it round the ground and sit on the wall behind the sticks. Remember being convinced by my dad that the people who were sat sat were millionaires and very posh! Its took me 28 years to realise what a tight a**se my dad is!