Pongia to wigan?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
feeona

Pongia to wigan?

Post by feeona »

Taken from the bbc sport website!
"Former New Zealand Test prop Quentin Pongia could be set to move to an English Super League club - and Wigan are amongst the favourites to sign him.

The 33-year-old hard man has been playing for the Villeneuve Leopards in France this year.

But he returned down under in the last couple of weeks and played for St George Illawarra at reserve grade level at the weekend.

His representatives are keen to find him a new club, preferably in the Tetley's Super League.

It is understood that Pongia, whose previous clubs include Canberra, Auckland and the Sydney Roosters, has turned down a deal that would have taken him to Castleford.

That suggests that a deal with another club has already been agreed - and Wigan, who have had injury problems in the front row this year, are one of the few clubs with a gap in their overseas quota.

If he moved to the JJB Stadium, Pongia would renew his front row partnership with former Kiwi team-mate Craig Smith. "

Please no, I desperately hope this rumour isnt true!
Does anyone else feel very disappointed at this news. 33 YRS OLD we dont want anymore past it players. We need players who are either coming through the youth system or quality signings who are at the peak of their careers.
What do you reckon?

Dorsey

Re: Pongia to wigan?

Post by Dorsey »

I'm with you Feeona, whilst we do need some experienced players in the squad afraid 33 is too old to be playing at the level and intensity we need
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

I'd have been happy for this 3-4 years ago, and it was rumoured whilst Happy Frank was in charge that Pongia would come but he didn't. I suppose if Craig Smith does go back to Aus then we need some real firepower in the front row, which we won't necessarily get from the youth team. Scully's been a revelation but he's a bit older than 18, and good props are not too easy to find. Bibey's still not good enough so we will need a good, experienced big-hitter to replace Smith. I always thought Pongia was better than Harvey No-Yards (I still don't understand why we ever signed him) so it may be a good signing but is he just a bit too old?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
little irish pixie

Re: Re: Pongia to wigan?

Post by little irish pixie »

if we do sign him, how long will he stay, or more importantly, how long until he cant keep up with the young wigan team we have at the mo? if it goes ahead, i think it sounds like a bit of an impulse buy
deanog

Re: Re: Re: Pongia to wigan?

Post by deanog »

I can't believe we're being linked with a 33 yr old player who's currently playing for Villeneuve.....

What next, are we going to get Kelvin Skerett to do a Frank Bruno and come out of retirement?

I dont think Bibeys ready yet but surely we can find someone a bit longer term than this?
warriorjon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pongia to wiga...

Post by warriorjon »

This is the reason i was saying that we should have signed Keith Mason before saints managed to get there hands on him. I think that this signing is only being viewed by the club as a similar situation to that of Graham. He will come over for the rest of the season then probably return to France or Oz. I personally think that this is a very astute piece of signing if this is the case as he is a hard rough tough forward with bags of experience. If he was to be signed for next year i think that it would be a big mistake as better younger props would become available at the end of the season.
Dorsey

Pongia to ...

Post by Dorsey »

Suppose I'd have less of a problem with it if he were to be a stopgap signing like warriorjon thinks but I got the impression Mr Pongia was looking for something a bit more long term to take him nicely into his rugby retirement
AnDy WiGaN WaRrIoR

Post by AnDy WiGaN WaRrIoR »

i personnaly beleive if we sign pongia for the rest of the season he would be a good bye he would bring experince into the team for the like's of danny sculthorpe and ricky bibey to follow by and they would look up to him!
Deltic3

Re: Re: Pongia to wigan?

Post by Deltic3 »

Bibey needs some insperation from somewhere - he doesn't seem to take any notice of O'Connor or Scully. He shapes like a wet lettuce most of the time - must have learnt alot of Harvey Howard !!!!!!!!!!!
Dorsey

Pongia to wigan?

Post by Dorsey »

You were right Warriorjon - spot on - man in the know eh?