McAvoy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Re: McAvoy

Post by Wigan Watcher »

- psycho - posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:
Sorry but disagree with everyone on this one in every way. Poor going forward likewise in defence he needs people to cover for him. Fielden does a lot of talking to him to put him in position when defending along with making tackles for him also.

Noble wants him to stay because after saying all that he is not a bad player who is on little money, this allows Noble to use him as cover and does not cost a fortune to do it.
im getting quite tired of your negativity. how about give some credit were credit is due. he has played his heart out for us since coming and has been vital in defense and in attack on occassions. next you will be criticising brett for missing that conversion! :angry:

Mmmmmmmmmmm :(

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

- psycho - posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:
Sorry but disagree with everyone on this one in every way. Poor going forward likewise in defence he needs people to cover for him. Fielden does a lot of talking to him to put him in position when defending along with making tackles for him also.

Noble wants him to stay because after saying all that he is not a bad player who is on little money, this allows Noble to use him as cover and does not cost a fortune to do it.
im getting quite tired of your negativity. how about give some credit were credit is due. he has played his heart out for us since coming and has been vital in defense and in attack on occassions. next you will be criticising brett for missing that conversion! :angry:
Mcavoy has been a very good signing and im pleased were keeping him.

Too manyn here do not realise that we can not have world class or SL class players in every position we must compromise.

Mcavoy let no one down.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

McAvoy runs and tackles harder than Vaeliki - who do you think is on more money? Who offers better value for money?

As has been stated above; we cannot afford the best in the world in every position - McAvoy joined the club late in the season. Give him a good pre-season with Barret and Bailey and see what he can do
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

Have to be honest, McAvoy has been good for us this season. His deffence has been solid and he has certainly give it his all! However, going forward he is not the block-busting player his stature might suggest, add to this his considerable lack of speed! If i am to be honest, i will be the first to thank McAvoy for what he has done for us this season, however, if we are to achieve great things next season we need a player with more creativity that McAvoy!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Martin Taylor posted:
Have to be honest, McAvoy has been good for us this season. His deffence has been solid and he has certainly give it his all! However, going forward he is not the block-busting player his stature might suggest, add to this his considerable lack of speed! If i am to be honest, i will be the first to thank McAvoy for what he has done for us this season, however, if we are to achieve great things next season we need a player with more creativity that McAvoy!
As Matthew points out, we can't have a squad of 28 "superstars"; every team needs the "value for money" players, of which McAvoy is definitely one.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

GeoffN posted:
Martin Taylor posted:
As Matthew points out, we can't have a squad of 28 "superstars"; every team needs the "value for money" players, of which McAvoy is definitely one.
You could be right here but I still remember when we did have stars in ever position. So why not again?

Salary cap I here you say but there is more to it than that.

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Wigan Watcher posted:
GeoffN posted:
Martin Taylor posted:
You could be right here but I still remember when we did have stars in ever position. So why not again?

Salary cap I here you say but there is more to it than that.
Why should there be any more to it. We are allowed 20 players who earn more than £25k pa - by definition we aren't going to get a "superstar" on that kind of wage.
If we take, say, £100k as being a star's wage (and the very top players are on double that), 20 such would come to £2million - already over the cap without the rest of the squad.

The days when we could have a team of 17 internationals are long gone (along with Central Park - and the two things are not unconnected!).
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Flash posted:
I think the 'stars in every position' will only come around again once the effects of taking the academy players off the cap takes full effect. This move will benefit Wigan more than any other club.
It still won't allow us to have a star in every position because as Geoff points out that in itself would blow the salary cap.

Next year the cap is 1.6 million so if we take Geoff's average "star wage" of £100K then we would gave a squad of 16 players.

Even that does not allow any super-star player to earn around £200K so no Fielden or Barret signings allowed.

A squad in this era requires your key players to be top quality - the half backs especially but then you need some squad players to back it up. McCavoy is a squad player and has proved better than DV (who I thought played well himself v Hull) this season.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I am glad we retained him. If we could eek out some extra speed that would be great. I really want Goulding to be given a chance though because I think given time and in a winning confident team he could be anything. You sometimes have to be patient with young players. Look at Hansen he just gets better and better IMO.
MiThor

Post by MiThor »

- psycho - posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:

well said psycho, McAvoy has been offered a contract min one year length to be decided, has been steady since his arrival, if Nobby thinks he's worth it do for me