Re: The Pack for season 2000

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: The Pack for season 2000

Post by Mike »

Ok, we losy Willie this year, who we all loved. But we signed class players like Johns, Lam and Furner. We lost the tony twins and had a great season once Gilmour.I don't honestly think you can say we are weaker at all. I for one am really looking forward to watching a new and improved pack!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Re: The Pack for season 2000

Post by Mike »

Sorry.."losy" Willie, what was i thinking. i think we've all lost our spell checkers (or is it the Xmas drink already!)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Re: The Pack for season 2000

Post by Mike »

Andy, We operated with four prop forwards last year and at times struggled in the front row. This year we are down to three, one of whom is injured and may miss the cup run and has not resigned for us yet, and one of whom may be not be able to play for legal reasons. I live down south so don't know if Stephensons charges have been dropped or not. I suspect one of the second rowers will have to move up as cover, and seing as how they all love to play in the centres, except Mick who is too small to be a prop, I think our pack will take a battering from the likes of St Helens, Leeds and Bradford, if we don't improve it.Wigan need to buy somebody else to compensate as the Alliance boys as good as they are, are not going to set Superleague V1 alight straight from the off.We cannot buy an player of International origin, which does not leave much else. Mo is going to have to pay alot of wedge to temp a quality forward away from their current UK club. Unfortunately can't see it happening.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Pack for season 2000

Post by Mike »

Haughton would be completed wasted at prop. IMO he is not playing in his right position now. Because of his size he has been automatically classed as a foward, but with his speed and size he would be a great centre. OK I know a lot of you will disagree with this, but look at the size of Wendell Sailor and he plays on the wing.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Re: Re: The Pack for season 2000

Post by Mike »

I believe that the man Furner may play at prop for at least some time next year.Also, if Haughton can stay fit he might be given a shot too.I'm sure we're all hopeful of seeing the youngsters such as Grundy next year.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Pack for season 2000

Post by Mike »

Why do centres need to kick?? When did Gary last kick in play??If Simon can't offload then what did he do in the last match at Central Park when he sent Paul Johnson over for the last ever Wigan try at CP?? Wasn't that an offload??
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Pack for season 2000

Post by Mike »

To be perfectly honest i cant see haughton in the centres, centres are creative players with good hands. Haughton does bust the line, but he cant offload or kick.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Pack for season 2000

Post by Mike »

Got to agree with Linzi. If he isn't given a chance at that position we will never know for sure. Wendell Sailor wasn't too good at off-loading when he began, but look at him now.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Pack for season 2000

Post by Mike »

Centres need every skill in the game, how many times have we seen the power play come to nothing when the centre tries to muscle himself over, when it gets crowded out on the wing he needs a good grubber to break the line and create panic in the red zone. as for simon haughton, linzy the guy just cant offload in a tackle, simple
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Pack for season 2000

Post by Mike »

if u watch haughtons one on one defence its iffy to say the least. he doesnt have the defensive qualities to play out wide where its do or die where as up the middle u can have 2, 3, 4, 5 on 1 man!watch his one on one defence next year!yes he may have the attacking capabilities but...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐