Clear out

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Warrior Wills

Clear out

Post by Warrior Wills »

I think it is time for a bit of a clear out.

There are some players at Wigan at the moment that are simply not good enough. Things are very difficult what with salary caps etc. However, if we put the likes of Bibey, Johnson and even Mick Cassidy on the transfer list. I am sure the likes of Castleford would be interested. The money gained from just these three players would allow us to sign a top class centre or / and a much-needed stand off.

Now I know people will probably think no, no, no not Mick Cassisdy. But lets be honest I would rather play a fit Steve Wild or Danny Tickle.

Mick has worked his “you know whats off for Wigan� . But its time to give youth a chance like we did with Mick over 10 years ago!

I see it as the squad needs strengthening in two key positions – Stand off and Centre!
Grego

Re: Clear out

Post by Grego »

I have to agree with you regarding Bibey & Johnson and why stuart raper thinks that johnson must be in the side, even if it is playing as a forward, is beyond me. As far as cassidy goes i think every side needs a workhorse who just gets on with putting in the tackles and because of that he should not be allowed to leave.
You are right about the centre and stand-off positions though, but signing danny orr would solve stand-off as i rate him as the best in the country. As far as centre goes we need a big nasty one that the opposition would fear and who can break a tackle (which our current crop don't seem able to do). Any ideas?
carrbrook

Re: Re: Clear out

Post by carrbrook »

two players who will be leaving are Ricky Bibey to Leigh Centurions and Martin Aspinwall to Warrington. Remember where you read it first!!!
Ellie from the Block!

Re: Clear out

Post by Ellie from the Block! »

I agree with sending Bibey and Johnson on their way. Mick Cassidy can still have good performances and was one of the stronger players against Wakefield.
I do however think that maybe it is time that Wigan and Cassidy also parted company as he isn't consistently a brilliant performer and in order to win Super League we're going to need this.
Fraggle

Re: Re: Re: Clear out

Post by Fraggle »

carrbrook posted:
two players who will be leaving are Ricky Bibey to Leigh Centurions and Martin Aspinwall to Warrington. Remember where you read it first!!!
Hence in today's Rugby Leaguer and League Express Chairman Mo says he's offering Aspinwall a 2 year deal ("I hope that this week he will agree to stay with Wigan"). Add to that he's soon to make offers to Dallas and Lam ("Our approaches to Lam and Dallas will be unveiled later in the season"), and says he expects Gasnier to stay in Aus ("I actually don't think Mark will sign for us"). Whilst obviously no-one should ever believe everything they read, misreporting the words of our Chairman would result in legal action so I'm more inclined to believe this than "a usually reliable source".

As for other transfer news, Danny Orr has apparently (according to sporting-life.com) signed for us for 4 years although until it's formally announced by the club I don't consider it confirmed, whilst we're apparently favourites to sign Logan Swann from NZ Warriors although it is noted this rumour has been around every season since 1997!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
AJ

Re: Re: Re: Clear out

Post by AJ »

carrbrook posted:
bibey - yes
aspinwall - see my new topic, he is staying and has rejected leeds and saints!
Tipstar Champion 2002 !!!
warriorjon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Clear out

Post by warriorjon »

I would agree think its time we let Johnson go he has had his chance to shine and although being a solid player there are better out there who we could sign for less money. As for Bibey think he should get 1 last season next year and if he does not prove his worth then let him move on.
DaveO

Re: Re: Re: Re: Clear out

Post by DaveO »

Add to that he's soon to make offers to Dallas and Lam ("Our approaches to Lam and Dallas will be unveiled later in the season"), and says he expects Gasnier to stay in Aus ("I actually don't think Mark will sign for us").
Well isn't Lindsay in Australia now? Wonder what, or more to the point who for.

I am surprised about the quotes re Dallas and Lam. I took Orr signing as indication Lam was off.

If not then there is no place in the first 17 for Brown/Robinson about whom ML said he was not going to sign players who would get in their way.

Also if Lam and Dallas do stay, then ML has already hinted C Smith will stay, leaving one overseas slot left for next year.

So Graham will be off if we sign a centre.

To be honest I would be happy if we kept those as our four overseas players.

The comment about not signing players to hinder Brown/Robinson still applies. Orr must surely do that as he is on a four year deal by which time I would have expected these two to have established themselves in the first team. Orr is going to have something to say about that.
whilst we're apparently favourites to sign Logan Swann from NZ Warriors although it is noted this rumour has been around every season since 1997!
Thw quota is 4 next year and 3 the year after so we can't go offering long term deal to all four overseas players whoever they are.

Maybe that makes it more likely Lam signs for another year, making way for Robinson the year after that to get the quota down to three?

Dave