GIVE RAPER A NEW CONTRACT !!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Warrior Wills

Re: Re: Re: GIVE RAPER A NEW C...

Post by Warrior Wills »

Don’t get me wrong by saying Stuart Raper isn’t good enough, doesn’t mean I am saying he is a bad coach. I am saying we could have better.

I honestly think that by giving the likes of Ellery Hanley a chance it is not much of a risk.

Just some quick figures from this a last season – super league games only not including play offs :

Played 28 / Won 19 = 68%

2003 so far

Played 16 / Won 9 = 56%

What would you say slightly above average?

Let’s take it a bit further

Teams that beat us in the 2002 season

Brad x 3
Scum x2
Hull x 2
Leeds x 2
All top 5 teams

Cas
London
Hull
Brad
Leeds
Huddersfield

Again the big names there again

Now for any other team that may be good enough, but in my eyes its not good enough for Wigan – Wrong ?

I just think that it’s not much to shout about. Ok we won the Challenge Cup, which was a magnificent performance. Maybe its me expecting too much !
Fraggle

Re: Re: Re: Re: GIVE RAPER A N...

Post by Fraggle »

Warrior Wills posted:
Don’t get me wrong by saying Stuart Raper isn’t good enough, doesn’t mean I am saying he is a bad coach. I am saying we could have better.

I honestly think that by giving the likes of Ellery Hanley a chance it is not much of a risk.

{snip lots of stats}

Now for any other team that may be good enough, but in my eyes its not good enough for Wigan – Wrong ?

I just think that it’s not much to shout about. Ok we won the Challenge Cup, which was a magnificent performance. Maybe its me expecting too much !
Good points, although the days when we would beat everyone else are far behind us. No team is ever going to have that kind of superiority again. Infact this season we have beaten all the top sides, I think London this week is the last of the teams that has beaten us that we've not had a chance yet to get revenge. In that respect I think this year we are doing better than last. We've beaten all the other top 6 teams, which was not the case last year. Even the traditionally bottom-of-the-table teams that have beaten us have also had victories against other top teams.

As for saying to take on Hanley "it is not much of a risk", I'm not convinced. He enjoyed the fruits of a lot of short-term investment at the Skints, lots of money and resource thrown at short-term success, and they admit now that that wasn't sustainable in the long run. The salary cap problems and recent boardroom upheavals are clear evidence of that. Whether Ellery would have been so good without that support is impossible to predict, and as I've said before I think he was truly losing it towards the end of his time there with his unbelievable comments after the WCC fiasco and petty squabbling with senior management at the club. With that in mind, I would suggest it definitely would be a risk to try him at Wigan.

I can't help thinking, though, that perhaps he's one of the candidates for the UTC job.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
captinjack

Re: Re: GIVE RAPER A NEW CONTR...

Post by captinjack »

Warrior Wills, what has Raper got to do to make a numpty like you happy? I'm begining to wonder if you are closet shite fan! I would like to see Ellery do any better than Stuart ahs with what he had to work with. Ellery left and went to the hurray henry's. Let him stop there!!!!!
Deltic3

Post by Deltic3 »

I agree with your sentiments Captin Jack. Ellery was a world class player but has so far not proved himself as anything other than and average coach. He would have stood out in union because they are still in the dark ages, but that doesn't prove anything in the greatest game. I am more than happy with Stuart and would be very disapointed if he left.
Warrior Wills

Post by Warrior Wills »

You are really not that bright are you ?

Consistent performances for one.

If you actually read the messages, that is if you can read, you would notice that I am not saying he is a bad coach, and whilst he is at Wigan he has my full support. I just think we could have better!

At to say that I support the shite, well its you who must be the numpty.
Deltic3

Re: Re: Re: Re: GIVE RAPER A N...

Post by Deltic3 »

Warrior Wills posted:
You are really not that bright are you ?
With you Reasoned arguements (?) It appears that it is you that is not very bright!

How can you argue about consistency when we are enjoying the most open league in decades? We now have a league where anybody can beat anybody, to a certain degree the top teams should beat the bottom but who would have thought that Bradford would lose 3 home games in a row? Who would have thought that the scum would lose 5 staight?

You have to wake up and smell the coffee, gone are the days when we just turned up to win a game, if a team is not quite on the ball then they may lose. That is called sport and it is good for the game. If you want to watch 50 point hammerings then dig out an old video, if you want to watch top class tight matches then stop being a "numpty" and support the team ( that includes the coach aswell!!! )
Warrior Wills

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GIVE RAPER...

Post by Warrior Wills »

Try reading the above message. Does it not say that WHILST RAPER IS AT WIGAN HE HAS MY FULL SUPPORT . Are you so wrapped up in your own self-importance that you can not and will not except anybody else opinions (FRAGGLE EXCLUDED).

All I want is the very best for my club is that such a bad thing? If that means stuffing teams by 50,60 or even 80 point’s week in, week out so be it. I don’t give a toss about any other club. If that makes me a numpty then I am a grade one numpty. You’re the kind of person who says I want close games, then slate the team for only beating a lower club by only a couple of points.

Raper is here and if he stays fine. My opinion however, is I think we could have better – Get over it!

Sorry can't write more Iam leaving for the London, game ARE YOU?
MrsLam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GIVE R...

Post by MrsLam »

Ey ey people, think everyones got their opinions across now, lets not get personal :P
Anyway, I'm not going London but that doesnt mean Im a bad supporter, it jus means that I cant get there because of money and transport
:( hope we get our own back on them tonight and hope all the fans that do go (despite the stupid fixture change) "sing their hearts out for the lads"
Come on the warriors!!!
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
cardiff warrior

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GI...

Post by cardiff warrior »

I totally agree with Mrs Lams comments,about not getting personal. As for S. Rapier verus E.Hanley I personally would like to see Hanley as Wigan Coach. It is a pity that the club did not stand by the likes of Graham West which in my opinion was treated in the most disgraceful way as Wigan Coach and as for the arguement of Rapier v Hanley. I think the final decision will be made on commercial issues.ie: Ellery is a bigger selling name than S.Rapier
Fraggle

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re...

Post by Fraggle »

cardiff warrior posted:
as for the arguement of Rapier v Hanley. I think the final decision will be made on commercial issues.ie: Ellery is a bigger selling name than S.Rapier
Not sure what you mean by a bigger selling name. The Wigan club sells itself in terms of attracting players, and I can't really see people coming to watch a team based on who the coach is. Despite the great success he had over the years, there were some pretty poor attendances at CP during John Monie's second spell at the club.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]