Lies?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrsLam

Lies?

Post by MrsLam »

Yesterday Stuart was dismissing claims that he might be going back to Australia, today Whelans saying that there is the possibility but its not a case of wigan sacking him.
Whats going on? It sounds very dodgy to me, sounds like Raper doesnt want to go back but Whelans getting us ready for him leaving.
Im confused
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Fraggle

Re: Lies?

Post by Fraggle »

Not heard anything about this. Could you post some more details of what Whelan has said please?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
MrsLam

Re: Re: Lies?

Post by MrsLam »

This is from teletext I dont know if im actually allowed to paste but...o well bit late now!!
teletext
Wigan's millionaire owner Dave Whelan believes coach Stuart Raper has had an offer from Australia — and could return home at the end of the season.

Whelan denied speculation that he was about to replace Raper with Ellery Hanley but said: "He's been in England six years and I think he has got an approach to work back in Australia.

"It isn't a case of Wigan sacking him, I think Stuart will make his mind up."

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
press_a

Re: Re: Re: Lies?

Post by press_a »

Today Raper has again denied any move and says he wants to stay at Wigan. Looks as though Whelan wants Raper out. He could be doing this so an Australian club makes an offer which would save him the cost of ending his contract early.
MrsLam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lies?

Post by MrsLam »

Rudeness!!!
If he wants him out it sounds like Raper knows it and is making it very clear to us that he doesn't want to leave. If this is true then good on ya Stu! (didnt want to rhyme then gr)

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Jilly43

Post by Jilly43 »

Don't know what you all think but I believe Mr Whelan does not know anything about rugby league or cares as much as he should do about the wigan club.
I think his heart lies too much with the latics.
He seems hell bent at times on letting his personal feelings cloud his judgement.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Thats what i wanted to say a while ago!! but i thought everyone would start having a go at me so i left it. However it seems that Rapers either lying out of loyalty to Whelan or is actually moving back because of his kids. Really dont want him to go but if thats his reason then at least its a good one.

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
John M

Post by John M »

Ive never heard as much bull in my life! Whelan doesnt care about Wigan RL?

I suppose you lot cannot remember him spending shed loads on Johns,Lam,Smith,Furner and Renouf etc.Nor can you remember him paying off Endacotts contract when Wigan looked to be declining to bring in your beloved Raper halfway through the year.Im sure he would of had to compensate Castleford too.Most of all you must not remember that without Whelan there would be no such thing as Wigan RL in the super league,we would be playing in the NFP on some muddy pitch with an old wooden shed as a stand.

Whatever the reason for Raper leaving,the new coach will hopefully take us to another level,one that Raper cannot acheive maybe?

If Raper had worked miracles with the team then i would be sad,but the truth is,we have not broke any china with him in charge.The young lads that have come in this year have been superb,but i prefer to put that down to the coaching they have had at an early age.To say their performances are down to Raper is being short sighted and taking away the great work of dean Bell and his men.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

John M,

I don't think anyone would ever ignore what Dean Bell has done at Wigan, personally I think the guy is God and would like him to remain at the club for a very long time.

I think what is getting on peoples nerves is that there is never any stability at the club. Always some player leaving, a player coming in or the coach is replaced.

Personally, I wouldn't mind an uneventful off season if it mean't that we were settled and could focus on winning trophies.
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

it is plain to see that our lads are as good as they are from our youth coaching etc. but i agree with 100% warrior on this one...

u need to have stability, & just as it seems we have some something else happens.
i personally think raper was doing a good job. & we played some nice football to..

now, whomever comes into the team next year is likely gonna chop & change it again & we will have to be patient AGAIN while the new coach gets his best team & his system into the players..
so as much as we love certain players who is to say the new coach will want em? we could be starting fresh.....
personally.. i think we were just getting stabilty with the squad we had..& the coaching staff we had.
all this talk bout new coaches, players is doing nothing but affect our season.. that to me isn`t creating a stable enviroment,

however.. & i say this as a major point.. is if stuart wanted..WANTED to go home.. then all we can do is thank him.. that is something for sure, we will never truly know!