Re: Who should coach the Warriors next season?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Seeing as speculation is now linking the vacent Wigan coaching role with everyone from Ellery Hanley to Huddersdield' Tony Smith, I'd thought I'd give everyone a chance to vote on their most favoured candidate.

Personally, I haven't decided yet - although I'm not too keen on Hanley returning to the club at present. The youngsters may not respond well to his authoritarian style.

Maybe Tony Smith at Huddersfield is a good outsider. He seems to be doing a good job. After all, his brother Brian Smith was an exceptional coach...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
100% Warrior

Re: Who should coach the W...

Post by 100% Warrior »

No point voting for Raper to stay as it is a cert that is not going to happen, even though we all want him to stay.

At first I did think either Shaun McRae or Wayne Bennett.

But after seeing other message boards I've been converted to the return of John Monie campaign.

Therefore, thats why I've voted Other, seeing as Monie is not on the list.

Probably won't happen though.

Also, not sure about the link to Tony Smith. Yes he's done a good job at the Giants but that doesn't guarantee he'll do it at Wigan.

Finally, not too happy with tonights news that the search will only begin at the end of the season.

Not only does this mean that all the speculation will continue throughout the remainder of the season, but our pre-season plans will be delayed due to the lack of a head coach.

This doesn't make any sense to me.
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

100% Warrior posted:
No point voting for Raper to stay as it is a cert that is not going to happen, even though we all want him to stay.

At first I did think either Shaun McRae or Wayne Bennett.

But after seeing other message boards I've been converted to the return of John Monie campaign.

Therefore, thats why I've voted Other, seeing as Monie is not on the list.

Probably won't happen though.

Also, not sure about the link to Tony Smith. Yes he's done a good job at the Giants but that doesn't guarantee he'll do it at Wigan.

Finally, not too happy with tonights news that the search will only begin at the end of the season.

Not only does this mean that all the speculation will continue throughout the remainder of the season, but our pre-season plans will be delayed due to the lack of a head coach.

Sorry 100%Warrior, don't think Monie would be a good idea. He did a lot with the team that Lowe left him, but after that....... I think if we could get Mcrea away from Hull that would be the way to go.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

100% Warrior posted:

Except that decisions such as who gets signed are always made by Chairman Mo, not whoever the coach is. Really the coach is left to concentrate totally on the current season, and that shouldn't be affected by us not appointing someone until the end of the season.

At least this whole situation will generate lots of discussion on message boards like this!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
AJ

Post by AJ »

as long as edwards or hanley dont get the job we might not do to badly out of it, tony smith at huddersfield seems to be doing a wonderful job and mike gregory would continue the consistency and youngster develpoment raper has set in motion, andrew farrar one of our greatest ever centres, its going to be a hard choice!
Tipstar Champion 2002 !!!
Ellie from the Block!

Post by Ellie from the Block! »

Which people are voting for Edwards???? As much as I think he was a fantastic player - probably one of the best - his track record of coaching is at about the same level as the Duracell Bunny.
We have to be realistic, we won't keep Raper (even though we'd like to), Hanley for me is also a none starter...I think I would sooner have Edwards than him.
This leaves Farrar! I thought he was a great player (I know so was Hanley and Edwards), but also he has a proven record and I've always liked St. George. Ill. for some reason.
Deltic3

Post by Deltic3 »

Their away kit looks abit to much like the scum for my liking!!

By the way why are peolpe voting for Stuart Raper when he is leaving??
BIG AL

Post by BIG AL »

Thought i'd put a new name foreward .How about Mal Reily from Leeds .He must be geting fed up being a noumber 2 .I like the fact he's British so he's less likely to buzz off with a job half done ,he as also had experiance at the top level and won
NTA1

Post by NTA1 »

Edwards as Coach and Dean Bell as his assistant. Edwards would ensure the team were 100% committed and motivated every time they stepped on the field. Any lazy players, no matter how big the name, would be dropped until they improved.

Bell as his Assistant would be excellent. These two ex-players know the game inside out and how it should be played!

Even Farrell would respect both men, and he will be very brave to cross either of them if he doesn't follow a game plan.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

NTA1 posted:
Edwards as Coach and Dean Bell as his assistant. Edwards would ensure the team were 100% committed and motivated every time they stepped on the field. Any lazy players, no matter how big the name, would be dropped until they improved.

Bell as his Assistant would be excellent. These two ex-players know the game inside out and how it should be played!

Even Farrell would respect both men, and he will be very brave to cross either of them if he doesn't follow a game plan.
At risk of sounding like a broken record, Edwards has no experience of coaching Superleague and there is no guarantee of him being successful at all. It has been a few years now since he played regularly and the game has moved on in some ways, not least in terms of silly rules and salary cap restrictions.

Deano has my utmost respect for the work he has done and is doing in bringing the next generation of kids to the club, we will reap the benefit of his work for a long time I'm sure, but again his coaching experience in top-flight RL is hardly successful. Remember he was something of a disaster as a coach at Leeds. He *has* been assistant coach at Wigan, when Happy Frank was here, and that didn't bring us success although I don't think Dean can be blamed for that.

If the two people you mentioned were to be in charge, at the very least it should be Bell as coach and Edwards as assistant, not the other way around. Personally I think Tony Smith is a more likely candidate now that it has been announced he will leave Huddersfield at the end of the year, or alternatively Mike Gregory who has got experience of coaching successful RL teams albeit not at SL level.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]