Hopeless recruitment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Hopeless recruitment

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

If the WEP is to be believed we will be completing our recruitment with Withers, Millard and Leuluai.

This leaves us with as hopelessly lop sided a squad as I have ever seen...

2 full backs when Ashton should be inked in;
no goal kicker (and if Leuluai or Richards are in line for this, god help us);
2 props where all the decent teams have at least 4
more overseas players than I can ever remember;
an old slow Aussie at reserve hooker in place of young British quick one;
a new injury prone scrum half replacing a half back whom we have finally seen some form from after years of hopelessness;
a new "conditioner" with precisely no track record in the job, and who oversaw as injury prone and unfit a group of players as SL had last year (after ours);
a 3/4 line lacking an out and out decent centre - we have a choice of an Aussie better suited to the 2nd row, a Kiwi who ranks as the worst overseas signing pound for pound we have ever made, a severely limited but enthusiastic journeyman and a young player who may or may not make it.

Can anyone find a positive slant to this? We can forget the play offs unless we suffer precisely no injuries.
Eaststander

Re: Hopeless recruitment

Post by Eaststander »

When you put it like that it's not looking too good is it :conf:
We NEED a proven goal kicker fast.
WIGAN TILL I DIE
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Evening Post says the kicker will be either Richards or Leulai. We will sign Leulai, Withers and millard. No props though :conf:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

We have waited this long, to be told what we already knew 2/3 months ago, very poor on Wigans behalf :angry:
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

The lack of further signings after these 3 is what worries me more, I could handle these 3 coming in, however the lack of a prop and a centre is what's worrying.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Oh I forgot to add ML said Ashton still had a major role to play BUT he started prattling on about wing/centre. Personally, Withers should be the one playing wing/centre. Ashton is not going to learn anything about fullback play stuck outside in a fixed position nor will he have the freedom to utilise his superb instinct to support the ball carrier. You do not move from a central to outside position. Rads went wing to centre to full back. Botica went wing to stand off. edwards went wing to fullback to stand off/scrum half.
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Nobby`s Girl posted:
is Paul Prescot a prop? If he is then maybe he will get used more.
Yeh he is but we need an experienced prop i think as well as having prescot
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
Can anyone find a positive slant to this?
I can't.
We can forget the play offs unless we suffer precisely no injuries.
If our recruitment is indeed at and end with the signing of those three players I am in no doubt we will be in another relegation battle rather than a battle for a top six place.

There is simply no depth to the squad in key positions and as you say we have no goal kicker.

The money spent on Withers and Millard would have been better spent on giving Godwin a pay rise to keep him at Wigan.

Dave

adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Nobby`s Girl posted:
Answer to your "NO GOAL KICKER"

This will be Barrets job!
Found this out quite a while ago.
When and were did you find that out?

Trent Barrett has never kick a goal in his proffesional career and from what I have he has never been any good at it even on the training pitch.

I doubt that Barrett will kick for Wigan, even Richards has more kicking experiance than him.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I suppose it's then a matter of who we are better than. I think Wakefield will go backwards without Solomona, and presumably HKR will struggle, so we could aim for 10th.

They have been announcing the extended contracts for the players we already have because that's the only half-decent news they have go, and they waited so long to tell us about these new signings because they know they are crap. They wanted as many season ticket sales bagged before announcing these.

That said, I think Nobby will get the best out of them, and if we miraculously steer clear of injuries we could give Salford and Huddersfield a game.