central park

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
stevo38

central park

Post by stevo38 »

what sticks in your mind about central park for me it was the noise of the beer pumps under the stand :D
FROM A TO B

Re: central park

Post by FROM A TO B »

1. The caves.
2. My first game there with my lad sat on my shoulders (who is now nearly 22)
3. The after match shuffle up the alley.
4. Watching Whitehaven academy having players sent off due to fighting between themselves
5. Russell Smith asking if we wanted the whistle (after advising him of his indiscretions).
6. Jostling for position at the wall in the popular stand.
7. The sight of the ground when floodlights were on (coming from direction of the swimming poo (is the l still missing)
8. The signs on benefit bridge ("sack the Jack")
9. The Shaun Edwards "nodder" after scoring.
10. That last game!
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
al299

Post by al299 »

not being able to see anything, until my pops lifted me onto his shoulders.....the rest as they say is history!!! the most amazing atmosphere i've ever experienced.
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

all the traffic stopped on greenough street when everyones coming out listening to everyones views on the game
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

I was only young when Central Park closed and can't really remember much because I wasn't that interested in rugby at a young ages and didn't really understand what was going on but what I do remember is the walk into and out of the ground because there was always at atmosphere of excitement and anticipation.

I remember my dad and granddad telling me stories about Wigan pasts, and it was probably the stories more then actually watching Wigan that started off my support for the great club.

Someone said to me that all Wigan fans would forget Central Park after 5 years at the JJB Stadium but I hope that is that not true, in fact I think more should be done to preserve the memory of Central Park, a lot more than that rusty sculpture at Tesco, as Wigan Rugby and Central Park was more then just a rugby team to some people.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Watch a 9 minute video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZZsrxOkjwQ of Central Parks last days and memories...
I could write a book about my childhood memories of CP, wembley aftermaths, big games, toilets etc..

A few weeks ago I was in Past Times in Wigan and bought 3 central park prints for £85 of the last day at central park... going to save them for display only in my new house...I want to 'forget' the picture until the future, sad i know.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Has to be the Manley game. How did so many get in that night? The hairs on the back of my neck are sticking up just thinking about it. Magic!
Eaststander

Post by Eaststander »

The Manley game sticks in my mind most of all too.
But I have happy memories of a big gang of us all standing behind the sticks in the 'kop' half way up at a certain crush barrier. Always the same place week in week out.Same group of us. Sadly don't see any of them now we all got old and drifted apart.
Being able to see into the gents cause there was no roof on :lol:
Meeting in the Ball and Boot for a drink.
Happy days...
WIGAN TILL I DIE
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

im to young to remember :lol:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

mike binder posted:
im to old* to remember :lol:
Corrected your typo Mike. Old age brings a lot of memory loss :lol:
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/