Ashton’s one on one

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Ashton’s one on one

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Ashton’s one on one

Watching the game last night I felt Ashton fell lucky as he made his one on one tackle, he looks as always very suspect in this position, I see us having more problems with him further on in the season.

Someone please give him a crash course on how to shepherd a player and not stand there flat footed and squire on when in a one on one situation.

GeoffN

Re: Ashton’s one on one

Post by GeoffN »

He had two one-on-one tackles to make, and made both of them successfully, not only preventing the offload but timing his holding down just long enough that even Ganson couldn't find an excuse to penalise him. Wire scored two tries, and he wasn't to blame for either of them.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I must admit I only saw one major one on one from where I was sat (In a very bad spot) and yes he made the tackle but I must stand by what I said he was shakey and lucky, it was very evident to see he has problems in this area. This is not a criticism but an observation.

Bendy Hendy

Post by Bendy Hendy »

I think his tackling is the least of his problems. His positional play was awfull. He was never in the correct position, and couldnt even read the game. Time to put Withers at full back, and get Ashton to watch :angry:
THI CORNT RUN BOUT LEGS

GET AMUNGST UM
turf

Post by turf »

I totally agree with GeoffN. Ashton had two tackles to make and certainly made both of them, sucessfully, which I suppose is an improvement on last year.

But as we keep saying, it is only the first game, and Ashton is only 19, so there is time for him to learn yet.

I know we are not on his back, but even so, lets support him, and get behind him, which will surely help him, and his confidence.

Does anyone agree??????????
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

turf posted:
I totally agree with GeoffN. Ashton had two tackles to make and certainly made both of them, sucessfully, which I suppose is an improvement on last year.

But as we keep saying, it is only the first game, and Ashton is only 19, so there is time for him to learn yet.

I know we are not on his back, but even so, lets support him, and get behind him, which will surely help him, and his confidence.

Does anyone agree??????????
yes :roll:

He is only 19 and should improve positionally the rest of his game is quite good already ,and the wet ground really is not suited to his style of play.

One on one his body position could improve but he still makes the tackle ,when he gets this rite with the pace he as his defense should be very good.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:o I thought Ashton was one of the positives. He clearly looked like he had been working hard on his defence and pulled off tackles he was missing last season. If a teeenager is improving how can you criticise him. If you feel the need to do so then why have you not criticised Calderwood. His effort to stop the first try was very poor. He could have and should have stopped the Barnett. The second try to Anderson, who was dragged out of position by the dummy runner? Withers.
x-laura-lvz-calderwood-x

Post by x-laura-lvz-calderwood-x »

cpwigan posted:
:o I thought Ashton was one of the positives. He clearly looked like he had been working hard on his defence and pulled off tackles he was missing last season. If a teeenager is improving how can you criticise him. If you feel the need to do so then why have you not criticised Calderwood. His effort to stop the first try was very poor. He could have and should have stopped the Barnett. The second try to Anderson, who was dragged out of position by the dummy runner? Withers.
cpwigan posted:
cpwigan posted:
Ashton played really well on friday and the two tackles he had to make he made them. And maybe i'm biased but to be honest the size of Calderwood to Barnett may have been an issue. Plus that try he scored in the corner, put Richards there and we would have been done for.. the score would have been 6-16.
'Sexy Mark' On The Shirt.. Get Innn!

'WAG' In ze making!

Staying up, Staying up, Staying up!

And it's Wigan Rugby,
Wigan Rugby FC,
We're by FAR the greatest team,
The world has ever seen =]
x-laura-lvz-calderwood-x

Ashton played really well on friday and the two tackles he had to make he made them. And maybe i'm biased but to be honest the size of Calderwood to Barnett may have been an issue. Plus that try he scored in the corner, put Richards there and we would have been done for.. the score would have been 6-16.

'WAG' In ze making!

And it's Wigan Rugby,
Wigan Rugby FC,
x-laura-lvz-calderwood-x

'WAG' In ze making!

And it's Wigan Rugby,
Wigan Rugby FC,