Barrett Taking Charge

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Barrett Taking Charge

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Barrett taking charge

Latest news is that Trent is taking charge of the team. No he is not taking over from Noble but as taken it on himself to act as thought he is captain unofficially. The team are responding well with the attitude being very good indeed, it has been said the team is seeing the training and forthcoming game in a different light with Barrett putting a different spin on things.

The unofficial word is there is no way on this earth are they going to lose the next game even though it may be tough going. They also see the game as being a game they will try different things if the score line dictates as again Barrett is eager to show the team different things that can be achieved around the park.

Bailey is working well with Barrett and he has taken Lockers under his wing giving advice on linking up better.

The quote was “A new mental attitude has been brought to the club”

OJ

Re: Barrett Taking Charge

Post by OJ »

Interesting. O'Loughlin may have a great future in rl but it just makes you think that you can't beat experience and TB has been there, done that, worn the t shirt etc. Thought he looked very positive last Friday and if he can take the team to another level then it can only be good for us. Well done that man!
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

OJ posted:
Interesting. O'Loughlin may have a great future in rl but it just makes you think that you can't beat experience and TB has been there, done that, worn the t shirt etc. Thought he looked very positive last Friday and if he can take the team to another level then it can only be good for us. Well done that man!
:eusa2:

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan Watcher posted:
Barrett taking charge

Latest news is that Trent is taking charge of the team. No he is not taking over from Noble but as taken it on himself to act as thought he is captain unofficially. The team are responding well with the attitude being very good indeed
If that is the case then Lockers must be in agreement with this.

It would not be workable otherwise and it would also have to be with Noble' blessing.

Put all that together and there is no justification for the captaincy not being officially given to Barrett.

The reason I say this is that Lockers must have agreed to this so if he has, then why would he, the club or Noble have a problem with him giving up the job officially? Now before anyone says "it doesn't matter who has the captains armband" in my opinion it does for one simple reason.

That reason is it is the captain who is allowed to talk to the ref as was illustrated on Friday when Ganson questioned why Barrett was asking him about his 40/20.

It is a simple matter of practicality that your real captain needs to be officially the captain.

So if what you say is correct, that Barrett has taken on the job of captain the club ought to stop messing around and give him the armband.

Dave
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Sounds like a good move to me. We wouldn't have been able to do it if we had kept Orr and not signed Barrett as you wanted, eh Dave? :wink:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The theory in Australia was that trent suffered due to being captain of St George. However, I do like what is being suggested. Barrett and Bailey have been at the hub of the NRl and the techniques / methods used there. The whole team inlcuding lockers should be happy to take in what they offer. I would rather we had several leaders out there every match day than simply a captain and 12 silent noddys.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Sounds like a good move to me. We wouldn't have been able to do it if we had kept Orr and not signed Barrett as you wanted, eh Dave? :wink:
Give the captaincy to Orr of course :wink:

Dave

Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I was and still am a fan of Orr and now we he have Barrett I don’t think there would be a place for him but again still a fan

jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

DaveO posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
Give the captaincy to Orr of course :wink:

Dave
:o

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan posted:
I would rather we had several leaders out there every match day than simply a captain and 12 silent noddys.
Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians springs to mind.

I can't see how or why if Barrett is taking charge in the way WW has said you need several leaders on the park. If Barrett has taken over the captains role then it does not make any sense to have Lockers or anyone else trying to lead the team as well. It should be one or the other and that ought to be the end of it.

Dave