The quick tap from the 20

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
GeoffN

Re: The quick tap from the...

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan posted:
I would also ammend the kick chase rules whereby chasers can be in front of the kicker and simply be deemed onside provided they give the kick returner 10 yards. Instead, I would say the kicker has to play them onside. Hence, they could only get involved once the kicker had caught them up and played them onside.
That's one big reason why the kicker is so often "taken out" by the opposition; to stop him playing his teammates onside!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Your right Geoff and that would get worse with my suggestion. Idea 50000001 consigned to the bin :D
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

i play amateur RL on a sunday morning and i cant believe it how many times the ref wont let me tap and goon my own 20...

it seems to be fading out of the game! :angry:
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

southstander

Post by southstander »

i no you slammed the ball down and shouted somthing one time ha ha ref give a penalty aswel.
'thats not a try thats a miracle!'
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

southstander posted:
i no you slammed the ball down and shouted somthing one time ha ha ref give a penalty aswel.
ey Jord...that lad was having a shocker! :lol:

yea i was a bit ashamed of that 5 minutes afterwards when i'd cooled down!
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

the-Bowtun-Warr ior posted:
i play amateur RL on a sunday morning and i cant believe it how many times the ref wont let me tap and goon my own 20...

it seems to be fading out of the game! :angry:
I always allow a quick tap on a Sunday morning (I get to the 30 m mark quickly) and on quite a few occassions I have had coaches complain to me that they want controlled restarts because that's how they're told restarts are to be made.

However, seeing as no-one has said this to me other than a few coaches I've chosen to ignore them.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

From the rule book...
SECTION 16
DUTIES OF REFEREE AND TOUCH JUDGES

The Referees shall enforce the Laws of the Game and
may impose penalties for any deliberate breach of
the Laws. He shall be the sole judge on matters of
fact except those relating to touch and touch in-goal.
The players are under the control of the referee from the time they enter the playing area until they leave it.
8.1 The Referee must carry a whistle which he shall blow to commence and terminate each half of the game.
Except for these occasions the blowing of the
whistle shall temporarily stop the play.
The Referee shall blow the whistle:
(a) when a try or a goal has been scored
(b) when the ball has gone out of play
(c) when restarting play, other than at a scrum
(d) when he detects a breach of the Laws of the
Game, except when to stop the play would be to
the disadvantage of the non-offending team
(e) when play is irregularly affected by the ball or the player carrying the ball coming into contact with
the Referee, a Touch Judge, or with any person
not taking part in the match or with any object
which should not normally be on the playing field
(f) when any irregularity, not provided for in these
Laws, occurs and one team unjustifiably gains an
advantage
(g) when a stoppage is necessary in order to enforce
the Laws or for any other reason.
It's there for all to see, including players, fans, club officials. When the ball goes dead in goal the referee blows his whistle to stop play and points to the 20 m mark. The referee then has to blow his whistle again for play to restart play so every player should know to wait for that whistle rather than starting the game himself. This is no different to any other aspect of play.

Therefore, as soon as the referee is ready to restart the game (i.e. in position, himself) he blows the whistle.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Don't get me wrong though; from a spectators point of view I do get frustrated when I see Calderwood get pulled back for being ahead of the referee. At the same time though I appreciate that the referee needs to control all aspects of the game, otherwise things get missed.

What I don't understand is why Calderwood doesn't speak to the referee before the game to understand what he expects of him, so there can be no misunderstanding. I'm sure if Calderwood delayed for a second for the referee to get in place we'd still have the advantage of a quick tap, instead we hold things up and give the defence time to set.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:
8.1 The Referee must carry a whistle which he shall blow to commence and terminate each half of the game.
Except for these occasions the blowing of the
whistle shall temporarily stop the play.
The Referee shall blow the whistle:
(a) when a try or a goal has been scored
(b) when the ball has gone out of play
(c) when restarting play, other than at a scrum
It's there for all to see, including players, fans, club officials. When the ball goes dead in goal the referee blows his whistle to stop play and points to the 20 m mark.
It doesn't say anything about the 20m mark in the above.
The referee then has to blow his whistle again for play to restart play so every player should know to wait for that whistle rather than starting the game himself. This is no different to any other aspect of play.

Therefore, as soon as the referee is ready to restart the game (i.e. in position, himself) he blows the whistle.
It doesn't say anything about the ref being ready or in position in the rule you quoted does it? It just says he must re-start play with a whistle.

According to the rule he could blow for a re-start any time he liked.

There is nothing in the rules you quoted that specifically says he must get to the 30m line before blowing.

Is that stated anywhere else in the rules?

Dave

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
Don't get me wrong though; from a spectators point of view I do get frustrated when I see Calderwood get pulled back for being ahead of the referee. At the same time though I appreciate that the referee needs to control all aspects of the game, otherwise things get missed.

What I don't understand is why Calderwood doesn't speak to the referee before the game to understand what he expects of him, so there can be no misunderstanding. I'm sure if Calderwood delayed for a second for the referee to get in place we'd still have the advantage of a quick tap, instead we hold things up and give the defence time to set.
As DaveO has said, nothing in there says the ref has to be on the 30. He can point to the 20 from anywhere, then blow his whistle. Surely any ref should be alert to situations where a quick tap (including one after a penalty) is going to be of benefit, and be prepared for it. Any delay invariably favours the defense.
Also, should Calderwood be the one to ask the ref before the game? The coach or captain would be better, IMO.
Would a player be allowed to ask at the time (i.e. as the ball goes dead, or the penalty is given) for the ref to allow a quick tap?