Players that leave Wigan and excel...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Welski

Players that leave Wigan and excel...

Post by Welski »

I'm not sure if it's my imagination but recently it seems whenever we release someone he seems to immeadiatly become a better player for his new club. Names that spring to mind- Shaun Briscoe, Luke Robinson, Danny Orr, Chris Melling Andy Farrell (:roll:) etc

And the guys we replace them with often dont live up to their reputation or our expectation? ( I'm still convinced Pat Richards has a twin that West's sent over)

It always seemed to be the reverse in the glory days. Guys would come in and suddenly become superstars.

Is it that the level of expectation is that much higher with the history thats attached to the club that players don't settle in? I watched both Quins games recently and Danny Orr looked like he did before we signed him! :roll:
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
waterside glens

Re: Players that leave Wigan a...

Post by waterside glens »

danny orr had a great end to last season.Maybe it's who you are pair with that makes it work
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Welski posted:
I'm not sure if it's my imagination but recently it seems whenever we release someone he seems to immeadiatly become a better player for his new club. Names that spring to mind- Shaun Briscoe, Luke Robinson, Danny Orr, Chris Melling Andy Farrell (:roll:) etc
I don't think you can include Faz since he went to RU - he isn't excelling for another RL side.

Until recently I have never been that bothered about who we let go as most were not all they were cracked up to be IMO. I include Briscoe and Robinson in that list.

This season though I think there have been several mistakes and when you consider we have 10 (if you count Hansen) overseas players on the books several of whom are new signings so it makes you wonder.

Withers and Millard are not on peanuts I would imagine and their wages could have kept Melling and maybe Orr as well to give us cover.

Melling is an interesting one, he kicks goals doesn't he?
And the guys we replace them with often dont live up to their reputation or our expectation? ( I'm still convinced Pat Richards has a twin that West's sent over)

It always seemed to be the reverse in the glory days. Guys would come in and suddenly become superstars.
That is true and players leaving the club never did much either. Even Hanley was not as effective at Leeds.
Is it that the level of expectation is that much higher with the history thats attached to the club that players don't settle in? I watched both Quins games recently and Danny Orr looked like he did before we signed him! :roll:
I don't know what it is but I think we have had a lot of trouble in recent years with coaches having to leave (Mike G), Betts being inexperienced and Millward being on a different planet. I think a lot of players showed their true form only when Nobby arrived such as Richards who did keep Dallas out of the side and Orr who looked like a new player. So with Richards I hope he will improve again but I don't think we should have let Godwin, Orr or Melling leave.

The only other player from previous season I think was a mistake to let go was Hodgson. He got a raw deal IMO because he suffered a bad ankle injury pre-season and was out for the entire campaign and then was not given the time to make a full return to form the season after unlike DV who was in the same boat who is still here in his fourth year!

Dave
GeoffN

Re: Players that leave Wig...

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
Welski posted:
I don't think you can include Faz since he went to RU - he isn't excelling for another RL side.

Until recently I have never been that bothered about who we let go as most were not all they were cracked up to be IMO. I include Briscoe and Robinson in that list.

This season though I think there have been several mistakes and when you consider we have 10 (if you count Hansen) overseas players on the books several of whom are new signings so it makes you wonder.

Withers and Millard are not on peanuts I would imagine and their wages could have kept Melling and maybe Orr as well to give us cover.

Melling is an interesting one, he kicks goals doesn't he?

That is true and players leaving the club never did much either. Even Hanley was not as effective at Leeds.
I don't know what it is but I think we have had a lot of trouble in recent years with coaches having to leave (Mike G), Betts being inexperienced and Millward being on a different planet. I think a lot of players showed their true form only when Nobby arrived such as Richards who did keep Dallas out of the side and Orr who looked like a new player. So with Richards I hope he will improve again but I don't think we should have let Godwin, Orr or Melling leave.

The only other player from previous season I think was a mistake to let go was Hodgson. He got a raw deal IMO because he suffered a bad ankle injury pre-season and was out for the entire campaign and then was not given the time to make a full return to form the season after unlike DV who was in the same boat who is still here in his fourth year!

Dave
Having trouble mastering this quoting technique, Dave?
:roll:
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

DaveO posted:
such as Richards who did keep Dallas out of the side
I thought that Dallas was injured - that's the only reason Richards played outside of the academy side the tail end of last season.

I'd take Dallas over Richards on the wing - only problem is we would be without a goal kicker!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

what about Mr Long :lol:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
right cross

Post by right cross »

imo salary cap and bad management is the reason .but i still believe that we can be a force to be reconed with ,with only 2 or 3 inports ,just hope it happens in my life time?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

waterside glens posted:
danny orr had a great end to last season.Maybe it's who you are pair with that makes it work
Maybe if he had been more consistant through his Wigan career, he might still be here
right cross

Post by right cross »

why o why do people think that danny orr didn't do it for wigan ?the games i watched him play he put it on the line [his body ] every single time .good players don't become bad players over night .wigan were sinking and danny was bailing out water faster than most.

yes going forward he wasn't at his best, but hold on wigan going forward for the last 2 years as been non existent.

imo danny orr was one of the very few who kept wigan up
i gauge sl players by what other players say about them and also what coaches say to.

danny orr will be great at quins , hope he as a bad game or is injured when we play them.
browns_babe06

Post by browns_babe06 »

when kevin brown went to huddersfield on loan he had some really good games and scored 3 tries in his first two games with them.

So far this season he has not had bad games.

Luke robinson at salford has been outstanding for them