CHRIS ASHTON TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
turf

CHRIS ASHTON TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by turf »

That's a first. Ashton in the sin bin. Just some consolation for him and us I think. He is still young, and all that cost him is his inexperience.

Just seen the sin binning incident now, and it is pedantic, to say the least. He was trying to get out of the way for goodness sakes, and Lesley just get up and collapses again.

But with time all his inexperience will disappear. He is only a pup, and is still learning.

It's a bit unfair to say (like it does on the RLFans site) a 18/19 year old kid cost us two points tonight.

By the way, I am NOT criticising the kid. I am just saying what cost him in his display tonight.
cpwigan

Re: CHRIS ASHTON TONIGHT!!!!!!...

Post by cpwigan »

The penalty / sin bin was deserved

I will back Ashton to the hilt and he is a much better full back than wing BUT somebody needs to grab him and talk about what is required re grubbers. The Aussies only shepherd the ball dead if they can get directly behind the ball and prevent anybody else getting it. Otherwise they make it dead. If you make it dead then you following the following maxim; I am going to kick it dead if somebody wants to go for that ball they are going to be chewing leather and/or have their fingers broken. You kick with everything and you take everything.
turf

Re: CHRIS ASHTON TONIGHT!!...

Post by turf »

I think to sin bin him was harsh. The awarding of the penalty was a spot on decision. Lesley milked it and moved off the mark when Ashton went round him.

Mr Klown fell for it and sin binned Ashton.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The thing about Klown is he is hopeless for both teams. A joke IMO.

The big mistake for me was not taking the 2pts penaklty in the first half.
num lock

Re: CHRIS ASHTON TONIGHT!!!!!!...

Post by num lock »

Do you think Ashton would have played any better at fullback than Withers tonight? I don't,and that's not having a go at Ashton,but Withers proved tonight that he (at the moment) is the better fullback.Where that puts Ashton at the moment I don't know,because he is definately NOT a winger.
Withers had his best game for us by a mile tonight,and I can't see him losing his place.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

The reason may lie with Calderwood, I was shocked he was 'dropped', a very poor move for Noble.

But Brian had to do something and putting Ashton on the wing meant pace, instead of Withers. Ashton isnt really a winger as we all know and his positioning was off many a time... just the way it is? Ive seen the sin bin again and thought it was a tad harsh, Vainakolo may have made the most of it.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
sai

Post by sai »

It was a sin bin offence tonight Chris deliberately made contact with the ball. Chris made a decision to slow the play the ball down and got sin binned for it. I have no problem with the decision and I am not criticising Chris for his decision.
As for Whithers being better than Chris Ashton NO he is not IMO Whithers did not have a good game (I cannot see why we bought him in the first place) Put Chris back where he belongs at Full back.
turf

Post by turf »

I agree. Lets put Ashton back where he belongs, at full back. It's a bit unfair to say (like it does somewhere on the RLFans site) a 18/19 year old kid cost us two points tonight.

Like cpwigan says, we should back Ashton to the hilt, now that he is going through a bit of a rough patch.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

even though ashton made a b***s upfor the try ,morrison was offside by a least 2 yards
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

waterside glens posted:
even though ashton made a b***s upfor the try ,morrison was offside by a least 2 yards
Looked level to me, same as Fletcher's try.