Johnson out Hughes in

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Warrior Wills

Johnson out Hughes in

Post by Warrior Wills »

I have heard on the grapevine that Wigan are close to signing Adam Hughes from Widnes. The deal involves Paul Johnson moving to Widnes.

It wouldn’t be a bad signing as we have room for improvement at centre. Hodgeson and Aspinwall are ok but there is very little cover if they get injured.

Personally I think it would be a good signing!
Deltic3

Re: Johnson out Hughes in

Post by Deltic3 »

I like the sound of that - After a traumatic year for Jonno i still don't think he will ever be good enough for us and also his high tackling is going to land him in serious trouble someday soon!!
redhead

Post by redhead »

He is quite a talent is Adam...and if Wigan keep the pace going for the seasons to come it certainly lifts everyone playing at the moment so anyone new coming in will have to improve 10 fold to get a place which means everyone is foghting to do well...proud to wear cherry and white...
the little walnut
mario

Post by mario »

johnson has not had a good year after the worst start to a season you could have. he is a good player and once he gets his head together he will only get better.his high tackles have only been a part of his game this season. he has looked better the last few games and i'm sure if he has a look at these pages it will pick him up no end to see the support your giving him, and no doubt if the rumours are true he'll be be glad to see the back of fans like you. he's better than hughes and after such a bad year for him don't you think you should cut him some slack.
Deltic3

Post by Deltic3 »

Hey Mario is your surname Johnson???

We have not just come to this oppinion - the simple fact is that PJ will never be good enough to play for Wigan!

I am not knocking his commitment or effort, but we still don't know which is his best position.

Is he a Second Row???

Is he a Centre???

To be honest he definately will not get in the second row when everybody is fit because he is not better than Tickle, Wild, Cassidy or Hock - to name just 4!

He is not good enough to be a World Class centre as IMO Kevin Brown is a better centre now than PJ will ever be.

To bring in somebody like Hughes makes good sense because he is a true centre and not just a fill in player.

I have nothing against PJ but IMO he is just not good enough!!

As for PJ's bad year the incident at the start of the year affected everybody, yes it would have hit PJ harder but you cannot use that as an excuse to justify his place - If that was the case then Julian O'Neill should have a starting place for life.

Yes it was tragic to lose his younger brother and we will never know how it affected him, however the fact still remains!!
mario

Post by mario »

hello deltic 3, mario johnson here. i thought i reconized your user name, you think tallas is still up to it. well i think thats enuff said! time will only tell,but if johnson does go i think we will live to regret it.
Deltic3

Post by Deltic3 »

Mario - you are entitled to your opinion - i am entitled to mine!!

As i go to every game home and away i contribute to PJ's wages and in MY opinion he is not a wigan player! I am not alone in this opinion, nor are you in yours.

I have not just recently come to this opinion about PJ - i have formed this view over a number of seasons where i feel that he just hasn't reached the standard required.

Maybe a couple of seasons ago PJ fitted in well - but that is due to the fact that we had a team that was at best average. Now we are building a world beating side and i don't feel that PJ will be able to command a place in this side ( barring another injury crisis!).

As for Gordon Tallis - he is a proven WORLD CLASS performer. I did say that it would be a good signing but again that is my opinion, and also i didn't say that we had signed him - it was just info that i recieved that i though other people would like to share.

If we do sign Tallis (and to do this he must prove his fitness) then he will be another highly experienced role model for our superb crop of young players to learn from.

As i said at the time - if you cannot learn from the best them you cannot learn full stop!!
johnsons_babexx

Post by johnsons_babexx »

Mario, deltic whatever has never liked paul and never will.

IMO he is getting better with each game at the moment and is now getting his confidence back and even he is saying this.

He has a year left to run on his contract and i personally think that he should be given the chance to prove himself in the second row next season.

U cant really judge him on performances this season not just with the unfortuate start to the season but the fact that he has hardly finished a game where he started. hes played all over and its gonna take u time to start re-reading the game from playing in the centres to playing second row for example.

And maybe if he saw more ball while playing in the centres then he might have a few more tries under his belt and then might make fans a bit more happier with him.

Officially PJ'sNo.1.Fan!!

1/3 of the original Nobby's girls - we have the t-shirts to prove it!!!!!

Warrior Wills

Post by Warrior Wills »

Deltic, for what it’s worth I fully agree with you!

If you compare the PJ of two years ago in the origin game, to the player he is now.
Well he looks to have gone backward 10 fold, in terms of promise/talent.

I think Hughes is probably the most underrated centre in the SL, and I would pick him every time over Paul.

The top and bottom is if Hughes dosn't sign, we still need a new centre.

Sorry Mario PJ not good enough!
Deltic3

Post by Deltic3 »

johnsons_babexx posted:
Mario, deltic whatever has never liked paul and never will.

IMO he is getting better with each game at the moment and is now getting his confidence back and even he is saying this.

He has a year left to run on his contract and i personally think that he should be given the chance to prove himself in the second row next season.

U cant really judge him on performances this season not just with the unfortuate start to the season but the fact that he has hardly finished a game where he started. hes played all over and its gonna take u time to start re-reading the game from playing in the centres to playing second row for example.

And maybe if he saw more ball while playing in the centres then he might have a few more tries under his belt and then might make fans a bit more happier with him.
For a start babe it is Deltic 3 - not Deltic whatever!!

As for PJ playing in th second row you are having a laugh!! Who do you drop to play him there??

Wild????
Hock????
Tickle????
Cassidy????
Farrell????

Face it - you may fancy PJ but he just isn't good enough to displace any 1 of the above.

And also as i said i am NOT forming my opinion on this season it has been over the past few years. Also for how long can you carry on using his brother as an excuse?? YES it was tragic, YES his brother was only a kid, but life moves on - we have all lost somebody very close to us but you have to pick yourself up off the floor, dust yourself off and carry on.

Removing all other factors, his brother, whether you like him ,fancy him, one TRUE fact remains - PJ simply isn't good enough for us!!