ASHTON (again) revealed by Northampton (Picture)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

ASHTON (again) revealed by Northampton (Picture)

Post by ancientnloyal »

The teenager has taken the Super League by storm since his debut in the final game at Huddersfield in 2005 aged only 18. Last season he was the first-choice full-back, making 29 appearances and scoring 15 tries.

Ashton, who turns 20 at the end of March, becomes the second rugby league prospect to cross codes to Northampton in as many seasons, following in the foot-steps of Stephen Myler.

Unlike Myler – who joined the Saints’ Senior Academy – Ashton has signed straight into the first team squad on a three-year contract.

Ashton’s pace and all-round ability has already won him international honours. He was selected for England in the 2006 Federation Shield tournament, two years after touring with the victorious England Academy Under-18 squad in Australia.

He is regarded by many seasoned rugby league watchers to be one of the brightest prospects in the game.

Northampton Saints head coach Paul Grayson is thrilled to have captured Ashton’s signature.

“He’s hugely exciting prospect,” he said. “He’s making the move already having made a huge impact in League. And with time on his side he’s going to make an equally big impact in Union.

“I’m looking forward to seeing him play in the black, green and gold of Northampton very soon, and I’m sure the red rose of England in the not too distant future.”

Ashton is looking forward to playing in the 15-a-side version of the game.

“Rugby union is a massive sport across the world,” he said. “You just have to look at how big it was when England won the World Cup.

“Northampton is one of the biggest clubs in the country with a great history and a great future as well. You just have to look at what is around Franklin’s Gardens to appreciate that.

“It will be a steep learning curve but they have everything at Northampton to help me achieve success. They’re building a squad of young English talent and the next few years could be really exciting.”
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Nine

Re: ASHTON (again) revealed by...

Post by Nine »

The sight of that photograph makes me believe he is in for a rough ride from the fans for the rest of the season. He was obviously off to Northampton posing in his new shirt before his departure from Wigan was even confirmed publicly.

Squad number 18!
Cruncher

Re: ASHTON (again) revealed by...

Post by Cruncher »

ancientnloyal posted:

COCK! ASHTON JOINS THE GAY-RAH-RAH NAMBY PAMBY RUGBY YAWNION BRIGADE

The teenager has taken the Super League by storm since his debut in the final game at Huddersfield in 2005 aged only 18. Last season he was the first-choice full-back, making 29 appearances and scoring 15 tries.

Ashton, who turns 20 at the end of March, becomes the second rugby league prospect to cross codes to Northampton in as many seasons, following in the foot-steps of Stephen Myler.

Unlike Myler – who joined the Saints’ Senior Academy – Ashton has signed straight into the first team squad on a three-year contract.

Ashton’s pace and all-round ability has already won him international honours. He was selected for England in the 2006 Federation Shield tournament, two years after touring with the victorious England Academy Under-18 squad in Australia.

He is regarded by many seasoned rugby league watchers to be one of the brightest prospects in the game.

Northampton Saints head coach Paul Grayson is thrilled to have captured Ashton’s signature.

“He’s hugely exciting prospect,” he said. “He’s making the move already having made a huge impact in League. And with time on his side he’s going to make an equally big impact in Union.

“I’m looking forward to seeing him play in the black, green and gold of Northampton very soon, and I’m sure the red rose of England in the not too distant future.”

Ashton is looking forward to playing in the 15-a-side version of the game.

“Rugby union is a massive sport across the world,” he said. “You just have to look at how big it was when England won the World Cup.

“Northampton is one of the biggest clubs in the country with a great history and a great future as well. You just have to look at what is around Franklin’s Gardens to appreciate that.

“It will be a steep learning curve but they have everything at Northampton to help me achieve success. They’re building a squad of young English talent and the next few years could be really exciting.”
Can someone please make sure this picture is forwarded to the Wigan club, just on the million-to-one chance that they haven't already seen it.

I'm assuming it's been published 6 months early because Northants are trying to get us to release Ashton from his contract early. In which case, Wigan should do exactly the opposite - hang onto Ashton until the last possible minute, and neither play nor train him once.

We've nothing to gain from releasing him early, so why not? Up until now, he's been able to portray himself as a uncertain youngster badly advised and torn by indecision. However, this latest incident of foolishness on his part is one too many for me.

It's a p1ss-take and it needs to be responded to robustly.
Nine

Re: ASHTON (again) reveale...

Post by Nine »

Cruncher posted:

We've nothing to gain from releasing him early, so why not? Up until now, he's been able to portray himself as a uncertain youngster badly advised and torn by indecision. However, this latest incident of foolishness on his part is one too many for me.

I agree. I am doing my level best to remain reasonable, but that picture and those (typical) quotes about RU are pushing me to my limit.
Squad number 18!
Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

Nine posted:
Cruncher posted:

I agree. I am doing my level best to remain reasonable, but that picture and those (typical) quotes about RU are pushing me to my limit.
agree with u there, that picture makes my blood boil as they say, it is an insult to us wigan fans. its rubbing salt into the wounds.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Cruncher posted:
I'm assuming it's been published 6 months early because Northants are trying to get us to release Ashton from his contract early. In which case, Wigan should do exactly the opposite - hang onto Ashton until the last possible minute, and neither play nor train him once.
I agree. I have done my best to keep a level head on this saying the club should play him as needed due to the small squad but this picture says to me we will be wasting our time if we expect him to be professional about his last months with us.
And me.
I agree with that as well. I have no wish to offend our RU friend who posted a very reasonable post in another thread but surely I can't be the only one wishing Northampton get relegated so Ashton gets to play in front of Plymouth etc?

Good luck to Ashon? After that pic and those quotes get stuffed more like.

Dave
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Everyone is correct with what they say the picture shows how immature he must be (unless he really is a complete T*S*ER)The DIRE disrespect for the club town fans and rugby league is at its highest level ,to me that would make seeing him play for stain helens a pleasure in comparison, the lads no respect end of!!!!!!!
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wigan RLFC incl Nobby lied. I posted here when Ashton had signed and yet the club kept pretending it was still not confirmed. It was confirmed on the Tuesday before the Quins match.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

why the big uproar? we knew the lad was on his way as of weeks ago!

i very much doubt he would have gone to Northampton and asked "hey, can i have a nice piccy of me in a shirt of yours for my bedroom wall?"

no i dont think so...his new club and employers of next season will have asked the lad to do that shoot!

this sport and the 'evil code' are heading the same way as football in the merchandising sense as wel as many other ways so im afrai we will be seeing this in many more cases to come!
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

heydude

Post by heydude »

the only problem is that this is his future employers so why his he wearing the shirt now he is still being paid by wigan and should be showing his loyalty to wigan correct me if i am wrong but i can't remember a player wearing another club colours until they have ended their contract with the first club.
don't eat yellow snow