Squad Sprint Training

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
adrenalinxx

Squad Sprint Training

Post by adrenalinxx »

For anyone how hasn't seen the Wigan Observer this week the Wigan squad have been going through some sprint training with the players.

Apparently Noble wants to make the whole squad quicker including the props. The article also says that Calderwood, Ashton, Richards and Vaealiki are the the fastest players in the squad.

Richards has also beaten Brett Dallas' record in a drill where you throw a ball 14 meters and then have to run and catch it before it bounces twice, Richard caught the ball before it bounced once.

I think that Richards has put in a lot of hard work on his sprinting, he never seemed like a naturally fast player but by the sounds of that report he we should see him speeding down the wing next season.

Also for anyone who is interested Pat Richards will be number 5 next season which suggest he will be moving to the wing.
turf

Re: Squad Sprint Training

Post by turf »

How many times did the ball bounce before Ashton caught it - I'll bet it was probably like Pat Richards - not even a bounce.
Woodentop07

Post by Woodentop07 »

maybe this is the year we see the best of viailiki!!iv always thought he was pretty slow but if hes up there with ashton its looking good!!!
Wigan til i die!!
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

i always thought pat richards was a quick player because he used to skin most of the wingers in the nrl and he did in the NRL grand final even though he had around 5 pain killing injections before that game the try he scored when benji marshall passed him the ball and he ran 70 meters.....
chrisJJ

Post by chrisJJ »

adrenalinxx posted:
I think that Richards has put in a lot of hard work on his sprinting, he never seemed like a naturally fast player but by the sounds of that report he we should see him speeding down the wing next season.

Also for anyone who is interested Pat Richards will be number 5 next season which suggest he will be moving to the wing.
it's his ball handling skills i'm most worried about
To be the best
you have to beat the best
BONES

Post by BONES »

i must be missing something here.
How do you throw a ball 14 meters and catch it before it bounces once????
Wouldn't you just throw it way into the air as high as you can then toddle off to get under it?
When the ball touches the ground it has bounced. (if it were to touch it again wouldn't that be bouncing? or are you saying that the first time it just lands the next time is the bounce).

I just do not get it.

mind you i can remember these sprints showing that there was nothing between Brett and Wes Davies. Except that Wes had such a relaxed running style a section of the crowd decided he wasn't trying!
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

it was a medicine ball he just broke dallas's best which over the year's was the best at the club, its a combination of upper body strenth ,speed and timing think he will do realy well this year back on the wing , a quality half back pairing and behind a go forward pack :roll:
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I think he had around a 70% kicking game last year ,with the time he has put in close season this may improve everyone starts somewhere and you cant tell Ashton looks to have a good boot on him for the future with practice and a contract he could be our long term goalkicker
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

BONES posted:
i must be missing something here.
How do you throw a ball 14 meters and catch it before it bounces once????
Wouldn't you just throw it way into the air as high as you can then toddle off to get under it?
When the ball touches the ground it has bounced. (if it were to touch it again wouldn't that be bouncing? or are you saying that the first time it just lands the next time is the bounce).

I just do not get it.

mind you i can remember these sprints showing that there was nothing between Brett and Wes Davies. Except that Wes had such a relaxed running style a section of the crowd decided he wasn't trying!

Its a drill I have done before basically:

- Are two cones 14 meters apart
- The players stands at one end
- He then throws the ball up high but so it goes 14 meters
- Then he runs and tries to catch it
- The ball can bounce twice

It is a test of strength speed and acceleration, obviously the higher you can throw the ball the more chance you have of getting it before it bounces, the faster you can sprint and accelerate the fast you get to the ball.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Well I hope they are faster because Painter is correct, half a yard can make a world of difference. Personally though I would like to see Pat run with conviction and step at full speed. The way he takes tackles negates his long stride which shoul;d theoretically make him hard to tackle.