does anyone know his background

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
jammie

does anyone know his background

Post by jammie »

according to one of today's papers the england r.u. coach brian ashton was a warriors season ticket holder for many years,no wonder he has put farrell and robinson together as a centre/wing partnership.what is his back ground in rugby league or was he just a warriors fan?
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

adrenalinxx

Re: does anyone know his backg...

Post by adrenalinxx »

He was born in Leigh and used to play for Orrell RU and he was a season ticket holder at Wigan.

I think perhaps he should be invited to the JJB to see how rugby should be played.
Panchitta Marra

Re: does anyone know his b...

Post by Panchitta Marra »

If Ashton had balls he would have Farrel at Stand Off. The bloke is wasted in the centre, he was never the fastest sprinter on the racetrack but has it totally between the ears and in his heart. If Wilkinson & Hodgson can play 10, then its a stroll in the park for Faz. Problem is that previous so caled superstars at 10, the likes of Rob Andrew, connot see, or should I say, refuse to allow the potential in a good thing transfered from the enemy of Rugby League. Its good to see in some headlines again " Rugby League Star plays 7 games of Rugby Union and is slected in the England squad for 6 nations". Thankfully, they never seem to learn to great effect. Aye.
ancientnloyal

Re: does anyone know his backg...

Post by ancientnloyal »

W. Brian Ashton (born 3 September 1946 in Leigh, Lancashire) is the current England national rugby union team's Head Coach, appointed 20 December 2006.

He played as a scrum-half. His England "career", amouted to his being an unused bench replacement on 15 March 1975 England v Scotland.

Brian Ashton is widely recognised as one of the finest backs coaches in world rugby. Arguably, England played their most attractive and attacking rugby while Ashton was Sir Clive Woodward's assistant from 1998 to 2002. Ashton, who, in his first spell as Head Coach, led Bath to their last domestic trophy in 1996, built his credentials on an expansive approach. As Assistant Coach of Bath, under Jack Rowell, he helped establish Bath as the kings of English rugby for a decade to the mid-1990s.

Ashton has previously said, "My main strength is as a coach. I see my job as improving players individually, to do the technical work with them, and also to establish the environment, the framework, in which the players operate." However, Ashton also has a reputation as an imaginative tactician who thinks deeply about Rugby. In Ashton’s philosophy the backs comprise three creative forces (the scrum-half, the fly-half and the inside-centre) and four penetrative finishers (the outside- centre, the two wings and the full-back).

Brian Ashton was the RFU’s National Academy Manager from 2002 to 2005. In this role Ashton played a key part in the launch of England Rugby’s National Academy system since its inception in 2002, creating the Junior and Senior National Academies to develop the most talented players at England A, Sevens, Under 21 and Under 19 level.

His coaching career also included an unsuccessful and brief spell as National Coach of Ireland (I.R.F.U)(1997-98). Ashton had been awarded a six year contract by the IRFU but resigned barely 12 months later after a series of disappointing results and against a background where private arguments or disagreements with the team manager - Pat Whelan - were frequently aired in public.

In 2005, Ashton returned to Bath as head coach, but in 2006 he left this role, and was appointed as England attack coach to assist head coach Andy Robinson, alongside forwards' coach John Wells and defence coach Mike Ford.

On 20th December 2006 Ashton was appointed England head coach, following the departure of Andy Robinson.

(God bless Wikipedia) [29.01.07]
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Bear

Re: does anyone know his b...

Post by Bear »

adrenalinxx posted:
He was born in Leigh and used to play for Orrell RU and he was a season ticket holder at Wigan.

I think perhaps he should be invited to the JJB to see how rugby should be played.
What class, league or both? I went to Hull at the weekend to watch the 1st team with a few mates.. took no interest in the game but was a great laugh... I hope for them they can spring something together. But you cant take me out of my love for RL! :exc:
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!