Is Vaeliki even slower than before?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Matthew

Is Vaeliki even slower than before?

Post by Matthew »

I know it doesn't sound possible (because he'd be running backwards) but is DV even slower than last year?

Several people on here said that DV was fit "for the first time since joining Wigan" however after last night:
From Sporting Life:
The Reds had been helped up the field by a late hit by Vaealiki on Dorn, which earned the former New Zealand Test centre a 10-minute spell in the sin-bin.
Was it a case of - "well I've run this far; I may as well do something now I've got here? After all at least I'll get a sit down for 10 minutes"

I'm just thankful that it's his last season with us.

Surely no player has ever been paid so much, to play so poorly, for so long in the history of the club!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
DaveO

Re: Is Vaeliki even slower tha...

Post by DaveO »

When I read the sporting life report which said DV had been sent to the sin bin I was thinking "At last he has got fired up in a Wigan shirt!".

I thought it was possibly a sign that he had awakened from his seemingly permanent slumber to actually seem bothered.

I take it my optimism is misplaced?

Dave
jinkin jimmy

Re: Is Vaeliki even slower...

Post by jinkin jimmy »

FWIW I thought DV looked his busiest for some time. The sin bin was way over the top by Klown. Dorn looked like he'd been poleaxed then sprang to his feet the minute Klown blew up.

I thought DV saw much more of the ball than Bailey since most of our attacks seemed to go down the left side.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

jinkin jimmy posted:
FWIW I thought DV looked his busiest for some time. The sin bin was way over the top by Klown. Dorn looked like he'd been poleaxed then sprang to his feet the minute Klown blew up.

I thought DV saw much more of the ball than Bailey since most of our attacks seemed to go down the left side.
I would agree he saw as much of the ball as he did all last season yet he still did nothing with it. Mid way through the second half he made a tackle stood up as first marker and went for the runner. i thought at last he is putting somethin in at that point he did his danial san wave of the hand and Gaz had to dive in and make the tackle.
Incidentally when Richards Chased a kick on the last and eventually knocked on around the in goal area Vialliki took five steps forward and just stopped panting like a sheepdog credit to Richards for attacking the ball even though he never got the score.
adrenalinxx

Re: Is Vaeliki even slower tha...

Post by adrenalinxx »

From Sporting Life:
The Reds had been helped up the field by a late hit by Vaealiki on Dorn, which earned the former New Zealand Test centre a 10-minute spell in the sin-bin.
Best 10 minutes of his Wigan career in my opinion. I hope that Noble has set out a time period for DV in which he has to prove himself because if he doesn't improve then he is a waste of resources, Wigan could use the salary cap to sign McAvoy who is far more useful than DV and deserves a contract at Wigan more than DV anyway.
chnwh

Post by chnwh »

From looking at him in the warm up he clearly doesn't want to be here. Couldn't give a stuff.
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

Was it DV who had an injury about 2005 or is it me i remember i saw him play and he was pretty good until he got injured
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

To my recollection; DV has never had what could be described a "good game" for us and he certainly hasn't been in the running for MOM. I think that is running at about 5 breaks in two years...
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Matthew posted:
To my recollection; DV has never had what could be described a "good game" for us and he certainly hasn't been in the running for MOM. I think that is running at about 5 breaks in two years...
He had a good game against Leeds away at the end of last season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The sin bin was a joke. DV actually had his back to Dorn and hardly made contact. Indeed, Dorn got up straight away and was sprinting for the line a minute later.

It seemed last night that they had actually created set plays for him in order to try to get the best out of him. The main one was a two passes wide, DV drops off and takes the ball diagonally back down the middle. In sets he ran sideways a lot before trying to straighten up.

I think Dv has had 2 good games for us. V Bradford v early in his Wigan career and v Leeds last season. Not enough really by a long way.