Kicking duties

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
x-laura-lvz-calderwood-x

Re: Kicking duties

Post by x-laura-lvz-calderwood-x »

Chris Melling should have got a chance last year. If anybody went to the academy games you'd have all seen how good he was. They should have never let him go and moved in with a contract for him. We're paying for it now cause all we are going to get is four pointers with Richards. He's a load of balls.
'Sexy Mark' On The Shirt.. Get Innn!

'WAG' In ze making!

Staying up, Staying up, Staying up!

And it's Wigan Rugby,
Wigan Rugby FC,
We're by FAR the greatest team,
The world has ever seen =]
Welski

Post by Welski »

ancientnloyal posted:
Alsdo, you have to acknowledge that Richards isnt a natural kicker and that he has the guts to stand up in front of thousands of people and attempt the kicks. In a way that isnt his fault that he misses... he obviously treis hard in training to learn the art of kicking but as long as we dont have a recognised kicker, we have to get behind whoever takes the duties because obviously confidence is shattered when they have a bad miss.
I still fail to see how difficult place kicking is made to look in League. It's the one area of our great game that could be improved by coppying 'the other code'!

How any professional can fail to even reach the posts with an attempt is beyond me.

It will cost us dearly this year.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

ancientnloyal posted:
Alsdo, you have to acknowledge that Richards isnt a natural kicker and that he has the guts to stand up in front of thousands of people and attempt the kicks. In a way that isnt his fault that he misses... he obviously treis hard in training to learn the art of kicking but as long as we dont have a recognised kicker, we have to get behind whoever takes the duties because obviously confidence is shattered when they have a bad miss.
Well firstly they are all paid professional, athletic rugby players and should be used to standing/performing in front of thousands, especially Richards with NRL GF experience behind him.

I don't disregard his attempts in training and i am in no position to comment on his training as i don't see it, but the more practice and dedication, the more likely you are successful and most importantly his technique is not right and while his drop kick restarts are fine they are not about timing and hitting the sweet spot of the ball, like place kicking is.

He trained for that last year and kicked early last year and was not that successful and i presume he continued in training as Dobbo was only a short term solution till the end of last season.

In that time including the games this year, in that time ive seen no improvement (especially in his technique) and feel that other alternatives must be looked into.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

the conditions were not of those that you usually kick in. we know he is a capable kicker - we've seen him kick from the touchline on a few occassions. he has a big boot on him. to criticise him for not even reaching the post is a little harsh when u view the sideline and how ripped up it was. briers ahd one practically smack infront of the posts and he missed that! from so called one of the ebst kickers in the game missed from infront of the sticks! if you think his kicking isnt good enough and you don't like it, then maybe you should apply for the number 5 shirt so we can all laugh off your attempts on matchdays.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

Richards should not be allowed to kick as said before he is amazing at drop outs but he cant place kick for beans, feka could do a better job... :lol:
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Welski posted:
ancientnloyal posted:
I still fail to see how difficult place kicking is made to look in League. It's the one area of our great game that could be improved by coppying 'the other code'!

How any professional can fail to even reach the posts with an attempt is beyond me.

It will cost us dearly this year.
Briers also missed crossing the line with one of his. Is he crap as well
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

shawcross da warrior posted:
Richards should not be allowed to kick as said before he is amazing at drop outs but he cant place kick for beans, feka could do a better job... :lol:
what are you basing this on? a match that was practically played in a hurricane? as the gimble said, briers failed to reach sticks and missed from almost smack infront with one - and all there is to his game is cheating and kicking! so does that make him a bad kicker now? feka wouldnt be on long enough to kick, by time we score, he has his feet up in stands catching a 40 minute breather. we havent got dobson anymore so we have to settle for the enxt ebst thing, and give richards time and his kicking will improve. if nobby says he kicks 80% in training then id settle for that on a good day.

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Psycho problem is people see what people want to see.

Dv had a decent game yet some want to ignore this and say he was crap.

Richards had a few very difficult kicks. Both were from the wrong side as he was kicking into a diagonal wind it hence the ball fall short and fading.

Briers kick did exactly the same on that side. Briers kicked from the other wing right on the line. Proving the wind was diagonal and aided his kick by drawing it over.

- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

yeah, your 100% right. ive gone over this with the_bad_guy and we both said it was wrong side for kicking in some very extreme conditions.

you are also right about the DV topic. he wasnt bad when he came on and yeah fair enough all he did was catch a ball to score, but i bet so many would have gone nuts ahd he not. when he does catch it people still go nuts! what's allt hat about?!? feka had a poor game for me and lueluia wasnt amazing throwing a few interceptions but were is the criticism there? because these are fan favourites they get away with a bad game or two, but when we are stereotyping against a player like DV, the insults come flying. at the end of last season he played his socks off, i wondered if it was the same guy! and yet he still got criticised.

when are people gonna learn that this is knocking confidence. we lost one game at begining of season and richards only kicked 1 goal, get over it. we should be dwelling on positive aspects and how we can build on them, not bringing up the negatives over and over, and time and time again critising players absed on 1 performance.

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Also with the kicks i was almost in line with the ball in the West Stans and around where he was running on the line it was muddy as well.

If conditions under foot are bad then a player will struggle.

Dont care if hes Wilkinson or Feka or anyone who tries to kick in those conditions its tough.