Would you be offended if a stand was named after Stan Jackson ?

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Cruncher

Re: Would you be offended ...

Post by Cruncher »

im_a_cuckoo posted:
No history. What a cretinous insult.

Here's one tiny except from Latics' history. Naturally, there's 70 years of cup runs, giant killings, league championships, Wembley wins and 60-goal-a-season heroes to choose from, as well as the bad times, the 25 years of applying for election to the Football League, and the club being saved by its supporters on more than one occasion.

In 1953, part-tme, Lancashire Combination league Latics travelled to Newcastle to play the FA Cup holders (1951 and 1952), six full internationals, Jackie Milburn and all. The non-league men took the Toon to a replay, 2-2, in front of 52,222 supporters at St James's Park The team returned to Wallgate station with a crowd of 4,000 waiting for them as if they'd won the cup.

The replay took place at Springfield Park, which was three-sided due the main stand having burnt down the year before. In fact, the Latics asked Wigan RL if they could play at Central Park but permission was denied. (The Newcastle players were most put out at having to change at Wigan baths, and get the team coach to the match.) Despite only having three sides open, 26,500 packed into Springfield Park (it would have been more, but the pre-floodlights tie took place on a Tuesday afternoon - in the previous round, the 27,562 turned up to see Wigan beat Hereford, still the biggest ever crowd between two non-league clubs outside a Cup Final). Playing the trumpet with the brass band on the pitch before the match that afternoon was a certain Mr D Whelan. Latics agin put up a superb fight, losing narrrowly 3-2 and wouldn't meet Newcastle again for 53 years. Since being elevated to the Premier League under the chairmanship of Whelan, little Wigan Athletic have beaten Newcastle United three times.

Bring a tear to a mon with a glass eye that tale. But just two matches out of thousands.
You have no history that the vast majority of people in Wigan are aware of. I was born in the early 50s, lived out my youth in the 60s, my young adulthood in the 70s and so-on. Throughout that period - note, this is BEFORE the Golden Age of the late 80s/early 90s - the pubs around Wigan were largely adorned with Wigan RL memorabilia. If anyone mentioned Wigan Athletic, it was to snigger (and that wasn't just RL fans, it was footy fans who followed the likes of Man U, Liverpool, Bolton etc).

You people are Johnny-come-latelys, who can thank a very rich man for buying you a place in the Premiership. The fact that your crowds are an embarrassment (and don't measure them against ours, measure them against fellow Premierships clubs) suggests that you haven't 'arrived' even yet.
Jimmy Birts

Post by Jimmy Birts »

Truly outstanding. I bet they had to put on a special exhibition for that lot at the National Football Museum. Tell us some more. Loved the bit about 70 years worth of cup runs & league championships. That brought a chuckle & brightened up an otherwise drab day at the office.

NO HISTORY
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

im_a_cuckoo posted:
What I meant in saying I am biased was that coming from Wigan I'm bound to have heard of more rugby league players than the average Joe.

But you're right, I've head of Boston, Hanley, Gregory and Robinson, too. Never heard of this Frano Botica fella, though. Honest.

So is that it, then? Nine players who are household names (if that household is in the M62 corridor or Australia)? I think the Latics roll-call stacks up pretty well in comparison.
So i ask myself why in gods name do you come on here for months and pretend to be a RL fan. I have no issues with the latics and to be honest i read one post calling this guy something like senile old man cleaning the players boots and i found this distasteful.
However with liars like you on both sides of the fan base the gulf between the two clubs of wigan will never reduce. :angry:
im_a_cuckoo

Post by im_a_cuckoo »

Once again, a repeat of the myth that Latics "bought" their way into the Premiership. We've spent very little compared to, say, Cardiff City. Selling the likes of Roy Carroll, Nathan Ellington, Jason Roberts, Pascal Chimbonda and Jimmmy Bullard has broughrt im more than £10m. One more season in the top flight will see the Latics debt-free (you might like to compare with Man City whose debits are around the £30m mark).

And, by the same token, didn't Wigan buy their way to success in the 80s? They were, after all, the only full-time team, able to attract countless Australian internationals. There has o be some explanation for the £3m debt that Robinson saddled you with.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

im_a_cuckoo posted:
No history. What a cretinous insult.

Here's one tiny except from Latics' history. Naturally, there's 70 years of cup runs, giant killings, league championships, Wembley wins and 60-goal-a-season heroes to choose from
So the best story you could come up with to impress us with; out of 70 years of cup runs etc etc is when Athletic drew and lost a match?

I bet Man Utd Chelsea and Arsenal would swap their European success for that!

Ding ding ding, Paging doctor Trophy Cabinet to the who cares ward!

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

im_a_cuckoo posted:

And, by the same token, didn't Wigan buy their way to success in the 80s? They were, after all, the only full-time team, able to attract countless Australian internationals. There has o be some explanation for the £3m debt that Robinson saddled you with.
Wigan didn't go full-time until about 1992, approx two years before most of the other RL clubs.

And countless Australian internationals? Name them.

Off the top of my head, I can think of one who played for us during the period we're talking about - Gene Miles, who was by then a veteran. The bulk of the all-conquering Wigan 80s team was British. The night Wigan beat Manley in the historic inaugural WCC at Central Park, there wasn't a single overseas player in the Wigan team.

You patently know nothing about this subject. Further evidence that you're on the wrong board.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

football teams are bound to have cup runs and get knocked out in round 1 by Leatherhead ay home.

Wikipedia is a powerful tool.

You mentioned Chimbonda... why do you think he left Ath;etic and handed in a transfer request on the pitch against Arsenal last season? I dont dislike Athletic, just i dont care about them, my football life follows Arsenal and possibly Bolton if im being emotional, couldnt give a stuff about Athletic.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
im_a_cuckoo

Post by im_a_cuckoo »

Truly outstanding. I bet they had to put on a special exhibition for that lot at the National Football Museum. Tell us some more. Loved the bit about 70 years worth of cup runs & league championships. That brought a chuckle & brightened up an otherwise drab day at the office.

NO HISTORY
Ignorance like you wouldn't believe. Still, off the top of my head:

Cheshire League Champions: 1933-1934, 1934-1935, 1935-1936, 1964-1965
Lancashire Combination Champions: 1947-1948, 1950-1951, 1952-1953, 1953-1954
Northern Premier League Champions: 1970-1971, 1974-1975
Northern Premier League Cup Winners: 1971-1972
Northern Premier Shield Winners: 1972-1973, 1973-1974, 1975-1976
Elected to Football League: 1978
Promoted to Third Division: 1981-1982
FA Cup Quarter Finalists 1986-1987
League Cup Finalists: 2005-2006
Freight Rover Trophy Winners: 1985
Auto Windcreens Shield Winners: 1999
Third Division Champions: 1996-1997
Second Division Champions: 2002-2003
Championship Runners Up: 2004-2005

I make that at least 18 pieces of silverware for the club with no history. I realise it doesn't compare with your three 'World' championships and countless league championships though I still contest that, for the most part, your league has been at best a two-horse race.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

From the top of your head? I doubt it. Wikipedia and the wigan athletic website have very similar looking formats, I doubt form the top of your head you know all the dates, and since when have 'FA Cup quarter finalists' been an honour?

your own club site lists '7' honours over your history.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
im_a_cuckoo

Post by im_a_cuckoo »

Do you know how mnay teams enter the FA Cup? 697 this season. It might not be an honour but getting to the last eight is quite an achievement. Like getting into the Top Ten of the Premiership. We're not talking about a sport with only four decent clubs in it.