withers???

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Raven04

withers???

Post by Raven04 »

is it me or does withers just dordel about as if tomorrow would do? i find it very odd how someone seems so relaxed in a game environment, :conf:
the grinch

Re: withers???

Post by the grinch »

he isnt the fastest player we have but probably the most versatile! its the fact he can play about three diffrent positions and play them well that keeps him in the team.
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:( I still do not rate him and think our attack out wide looks desperately poor with him at fullback.
Raven04

Post by Raven04 »

yeah i agree Grinch, i was not slagging him off, was just making a point. but am sure he was quicker than that last year with the bulls.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cpwigan posted:
:( I still do not rate him and think our attack out wide looks desperately poor with him at fullback.
But surely he is here for his positional play in defence, unlike Ashton he knows what he is doing and where to be in defence, i would rather have a slow in attack but great defender than look at me im dead fast and can run sideways Ashton
Nine

Post by Nine »

That composure under pressure is exactly what we have missed in the past couple of season and, IMO, is the reason Nobby brought him in. He is versatile, class, an "old head" and composed enough not to chuck points away by trying "miracle" plays. Remember how many games we lost from apparently winnable positions when we have had injuries and had a lot of "kids" in.

And may I say that is the best spelling of "dawdle" I've ever come across - looks much more like its meaning than the correct version, if you see what I mean! :lol:
Squad number 18!
MiThor

Post by MiThor »

Nine posted:
That composure under pressure is exactly what we have missed in the past couple of season and, IMO, is the reason Nobby brought him in. He is versatile, class, an "old head" and composed enough not to chuck points away by trying "miracle" plays. Remember how many games we lost from apparently winnable positions when we have had injuries and had a lot of "kids" in.

And may I say that is the best spelling of "dawdle" I've ever come across - looks much more like its meaning than the correct version, if you see what I mean! :lol:

morning teacher
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

His positional play is a red herring. Every time somebody breaks through they go past him. He is plying the position likee a junior would standing way too far back because he is too slow / unfitto push up on the early tackles and only drop back ep on tackles 4 and 5. How many kicks does he catch? Vrs Saints and Leeds he ends up running to bouncing balls.

Having got the ball what do we get? A guy who does not even atempt to beat the defence, he simpy jogs a few yards forward and surrenders. If we make a break where is Withers? Nowhere. Experience / old head. He was put in a gap v Leeds. Instead of taking the tackle he tried to throw a miracle pass that went into touch. He got himself sin binned v Saints.

Rads came back and said you cannot play full back if you are unfit. Withers is slow / unfit.

Our outside backs attacking prowess (lack of it) is our downfall. Ashton may have faults but at least he gives some attacking ability.

Withers is the worst fullback to don the shirt since Doc Murray
Welski

Post by Welski »

I think the question is:

Had Ashton not decided to leave in the manner he did would he be first choice FB? I would say based on last year he would.

Withers is a very solid player in defence but offers only sporadic support going forward. Personally I think it is just as unprofessional of Nobby to sideline Ashton as it was of Ashton in the first place.

The game is more exciting and I would guess the team more successfull when Ashton is on the pitch.

It would be interesting to see the points for/against stats when either player is at FB.

I'm happy we have both in our ranks its just a shame one acted so foolishly.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
bertina

Post by bertina »

cpwigan posted:
His positional play is a red herring. Every time somebody breaks through they go past him. He is plying the position likee a junior would standing way too far back because he is too slow / unfitto push up on the early tackles and only drop back ep on tackles 4 and 5. How many kicks does he catch? Vrs Saints and Leeds he ends up running to bouncing balls.

Having got the ball what do we get? A guy who does not even atempt to beat the defence, he simpy jogs a few yards forward and surrenders. If we make a break where is Withers? Nowhere. Experience / old head. He was put in a gap v Leeds. Instead of taking the tackle he tried to throw a miracle pass that went into touch. He got himself sin binned v Saints.

Rads came back and said you cannot play full back if you are unfit. Withers is slow / unfit.

Our outside backs attacking prowess (lack of it) is our downfall. Ashton may have faults but at least he gives some attacking ability.

Withers is the worst fullback to don the shirt since Doc Murray
I have to disagree with this post. The guy has done very little wrong in my opinion.
When are all these occasions when someone has broken through and gone past him? I've seen every game up to now this season and I certainly can't recall seeing players constantly getting past him.
And as for him being the worst full back since Doc Murray, please tell me you're having a laugh!!