get off players backs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jao 711

get off players backs

Post by jao 711 »

about time certain people got off ashtons back,along with lockers,fielden and millard.can we try to be a bit more positive in our outlook?nobby started from rock bottom and it's been all improvement since then.when you've got all the players in place the final ingredient is consistency,and that takes time.patience please.also can we stop the nasty references to opposition fans,they all pay there hard earned brass to watch a match.
Fraggle

Re: get off players backs

Post by Fraggle »

jao 711 posted:
about time certain people got off ashtons back,along with lockers,fielden and millard.can we try to be a bit more positive in our outlook?nobby started from rock bottom and it's been all improvement since then.when you've got all the players in place the final ingredient is consistency,and that takes time.patience please.also can we stop the nasty references to opposition fans,they all pay there hard earned brass to watch a match.
Well, 2/3rds of the way through the season is quite a long time to wait for consistency, time starts to run out before too long. This is a discussion board, and that means people are not going to agree on things otherwise there's nothing to discuss. When players are criticised for bad performances it is usually justified, and most people are big enough to acknowledge if that same player has a better game the following week (Calderwood, in my case).

As for the opposing fans, that's part of the banter associated with any sport. They'll call us, we call them, we'll all shout at each other during the game but then have a friendly drink together before/afterwards. That's one of the things I love about our sport over certain other sports, that what's said during a game stays there and really we're all just genuine fans outside the ground (in most cases). But fans of every club call fans of other clubs on websites like this. Why should this one be any different? The banter is a great part of the sport.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jao 711 posted:
about time certain people got off ashtons back,along with lockers,fielden and millard.can we try to be a bit more positive in our outlook?nobby started from rock bottom and it's been all improvement since then.
That is debatable. The current team is not showing the consistency Nobby got out of last seasons team for the last half of last season.

Nobby started this season on the back of a very strong end to last season and for the most part the team has failed to carry that form on with only a few games where you can say they really have clicked as a unit (compared to the end of last season).

Some of the reasons for this are down to the player movements that have been discussed at length on here such as not replacing Logan and the signing of Millard.

I really do doubt that given the way the team was playing at the end of last season it would have capitulated to HKR (twice), Hudds away and Wakey away as they have done.

Millard isn't going to become a revelation on the run in and although showing signs of improvement Fielden's season will go down as a disappointment given we are through most of it and he has not been as good as he was. I don't see a problem saying this as this is the sort of thing that gets discussed on here.
when you've got all the players in place the final ingredient is consistency,and that takes time.patience please.
I don't think being impatient with team performances like those I mention above is out of order. As Fraggle pointed out we are 2/3 through the season and compared to the end of last season we are not as consistent as we were.

Dave
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

NO
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

jao 711 posted:
I agree with Fraggle the banter is a big part of the support and all fans do it. In Rugby its done in good jest unlike football that carrys it on outside the ground.

Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

DaveO posted:
jao 711 posted:
about time certain people got off ashtons back,along with lockers,fielden and millard.can we try to be a bit more positive in our outlook?nobby started from rock bottom and it's been all improvement since then.
That is debatable. The current team is not showing the consistency Nobby got out of last seasons team for the last half of last season.

Nobby started this season on the back of a very strong end to last season and for the most part the team has failed to carry that form on with only a few games where you can say they really have clicked as a unit (compared to the end of last season).

Some of the reasons for this are down to the player movements that have been discussed at length on here such as not replacing Logan and the signing of Millard.

I really do doubt that given the way the team was playing at the end of last season it would have capitulated to HKR (twice), Hudds away and Wakey away as they have done.

Millard isn't going to become a revelation on the run in and although showing signs of improvement Fielden's season will go down as a disappointment given we are through most of it and he has not been as good as he was. I don't see a problem saying this as this is the sort of thing that gets discussed on here.
when you've got all the players in place the final ingredient is consistency,and that takes time.patience please.
I don't think being impatient with team performances like those I mention above is out of order. As Fraggle pointed out we are 2/3 through the season and compared to the end of last season we are not as consistent as we were.

Dave
fair point but i think changing our halfbacks by bringing in a new standoff/scrumhalf has had more of an effect on the team than the signing of millard!!
rugbymadbabe

Post by rugbymadbabe »

i agree with fraggle, its part of the banter of the game, and most fans are fine with each other if you ever spoke to them many a time we have spoken to oppositions fans after games particuarly at away games and we have a chat about the game etc. I dont think fans get abused at all they shout at us we shout at them if u think were the only team that does it go and stand in the north stand. but i dont think any of us would start a fight or intimidate an induviual as i think everyone will agree rugby league is a family game and friendly sport. its like on the field theyll knock the day lights out of each other but afterwards shake hands. its all part the game.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

jao 711 posted:
Are you Millard?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
wigan_twins

Post by wigan_twins »

jao 711 posted:
How boring would it be if there was no banter!!there would be no atmospher(sp) at all.
any1 whos fancys a gd hard shagin message me men nd especially women ;) xxxxxxxxxxx
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Wigan played perfectly well against Wakefield, ashton and the whole team played superbly considering...

Without Millard, the whole team looks worse.. it seems slower with McIlorum on

It's all criticism, we are fans, we criticise. Not our fault the fans think players like Millard are #3 in the pecking order
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame