How long have you been watching Wigan RLFC?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wigan1977

Re: How long have you been wat...

Post by wigan1977 »

the first game i went was the world club challenge against manly :D
ancientnloyal

Re: How long have you been...

Post by ancientnloyal »

Apparently I watched the '85 final on telly as a 6 month old baby - I doubt that as I'd have been probably being sick of having a wee. First match, my mum and dad inform me was the beginning of the 85-86 season as a 9 month old, cant remember who against. Supported ever since home and away. Remember a-team matches after shcool at night stood on the Kop on my own catching conversions :lol:
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Poster posted:
First real memeories are standing in the 'Hen Pen' at Central Park waiting to hear if Billy Boston had got his weekend pass from the Army and was able to play.This made everyones day except of course the other team.His tries were all long range and at terrific speed which many people fail to remember.So must be 1957 or so about 50yrs through and through.
About the same for me, too. Can't remember the exact year of my first game, but around '54/'55 I'd guess.
First Wembley was '58.
Nine

Post by Nine »

My first match was in 1958, and Billy B was in his pomp! Maybe I should have a big shindig in the South Stand bar next season when it will be my Golden Anniversary as a fan at matches (we had a telly, so I would have seen cup finals, etc, before I got to go to a match in person). :D
Squad number 18!
Eaststander

Re: How long have you been wat...

Post by Eaststander »

Since 1960 when I was 6 years old.
WIGAN TILL I DIE
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

There was no rugby where I'm originally from, and so I wasn't brought up with the sport but I started to watch Wigan on tv from about 1996 onwards. First game I actually went to was the first Grand Final in 1998, been a season ticket holder ever since that game.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Cool, 10 years longer than Fraggy!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

earliest memories from about 1990, im 22 so although i know i would of been sat infront of the tv since 1985 i been consiously watching since 1990
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

My first match was Wigan -v- Australia at Central Park in 1986 (?). I've been watching them ever since. Nearly 21 years.

Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ancientnloyal posted:
Cool, 10 years longer than Fraggy!
:)

That's what happens when you come from a city with no sport. But then, given the average age of people in Lancaster is 275 years old, it's perhaps understandable that the only teams in the area are football and rugby union teams that are the equivalent of Division 16 of their respective leagues...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]