How long have you been watching Wigan RLFC?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wink

Re: How long have you been...

Post by wink »

Since 1945 its so far back I can't remember the first match, but I do remember Ryan, Ratcliffe Cunliffe, Ascroft, Gee and Eagan to mention afew.

Wink :wink:
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

my family have always been good followers and used to go allt he time and to all the finals at wembley.

my uncle (posts on here), he was on the front of a wigan newspaper as the yonugest wigan fan, he has a snip it somewhere of him with nick detoit and steve eller.

myself ive been watching them since 2004, got a free ticket for bulls game at the end of the season. we won quite convincingly. 30 something to 16 or something like that could have been 32-16, not to sure, will need to check.

coincidentally, that's when my other half started watching them as well which came as quite a shock :o
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
Ken

Re: How long have you been wat...

Post by Ken »

I Remember watching Billy Boston Trevor Lake,
Franky Parr,Danny Gardener,Bill Asherst,and a load more in the good old days, :lol:
Ken Blinston
Banksy

Post by Banksy »

Since I was born I was put in front of a TV with Wigan Warriors on, so 15 years.
standofftfield

Post by standofftfield »

My 1st final was 1959 when Wigan beat Hull 30-13.

Watched them a couple of years before that when they played at home
Likely_Lad

Post by Likely_Lad »

Been going since 89 but my earliest memories start around 94. 95 was my first Wembley.
The poster formerly knows as Wizard_Millward.

I wasn't as fit or strong as before but my two biggest muscles still worked - my heart and my head - Kris Radlinski.
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

About 1958. Nice to see that there are other seniors (?) still supporting. What about a few memories guys. First Wembley vist 1961 against Stains. Went by train from Hindley. We lost.
Most memorable, despite lots of others since - Wigan 20 -Hunslet 16 in 1965.
I well remember a cup replay v Leeds one Wednesday afternoon (before floodlights) A crowd of 45000 plus. I don't think anyone in Wigan was working that day. Also a cup game against Swinton when Eric Ashton was laid out by a high tackle (unpunished)
and we lost. Also remember losing a cup game at Wakefield in the rain so nothing changes. :happ:
demt82

Post by demt82 »

Since i was born i was on my dad;s shoulders at central park watching them thrash saints week in week out!! :D
Doctor of medicine.(MBcHB)
You will be asleep soon.
Its only a little prick!
wigan/pier

Post by wigan/pier »

Cruncher posted:
In the early-1960s. My first Wembley was Wigan v Hunslet, and I'll never forget the euphoria of that day, though most of the detail of the match escapes me now.

When I first started watching Wigan from the Hen Pen, it was taken as read that Wigan were the greatest team in the land. The 1970s was thus a difficult period, and when we got relegated, I thought it was the end of everything. It just shows - there's light at the end of every tunnel.
Same as you early 60s first game a midweek fixture v aus (I think) :D god I feel old now! :(
If we don't ask questions we turn into sheep...and I don't trust the shepherds.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Ive been watching them since 1996 so 11 years of my 15 years :lol:
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!