Wigan U18s

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Wigan U18s

Post by cpwigan »

:( Sad to report that in torrential conditions albeit on an excellent pitch (Wigan now employ a full time groundsman at Orrell) our U18's blew a tremendous opportunity to inflict the first defeat of the season upon their St Helens counterparts.

A tale of 2 halves.

The first half was dominated by Wigan. Aggressive in the tackle, making good yards and kicking well Wigan forced errors and dominated field position. Winger Sean Ainscough scored in typically determined fashion. He then combined delightfully with Stuart Howarth exchanging passes before Howarth was able to go in under the posts. Josh Vievers converting both tries. Sadly, Saints replied when a cross field kick was plucked out of the air by tall St Helens centre, Jamie Foster. Foster then converted his own try. Neil Holland was outstanding at prop for Wigan, playing the whole half. Alas if truth be told, Wigan did not do enough with ball in hand to convert pressure into points. They sorely missed Sam Tomkins who has recently moved up to U21s.

The second half was a completely different story. Wigan oddly looked far more jaded and struggled to match a far more enthusiastic and purposeful Saints team. Saints dominated field position and heaped pressure upon Wigan who were continually forced to drive the ball out from their own 20. Nevertheless, Wigan through sheer effort rather than method kept repelling Saints, often from their very own try line. Two penalties by Josh Vievers were interspaced by a Saints Helens try in the corner following a simple overlap. Crucially the try was converted superbly from the touch line by Foster. Nevertheless, Wigan held a 16-12 lead and looked like they could hold on for victory.

The referee was a law unto himself and awarded a penalty to Saints for crossing when no crossing took place. The Wigan stand off intimiating that he was going to pass to an outside runner before deciding to simply straighten up and run inside the outside runner. Thankfully and inexplicably Foster missed the relatively easy penalty attempt and Wigan kept their lead. The touch judge who had a very good game then correctly adjudged a double movement by Saints that I fear the referee would have awarded a try for.

Nevertheless, it was one way traffic and no amount of interchanges brought any respite to the pressure upon Wigan. The kicking game became more and more ragged and Saints finally took the lead with less than 10 minutes to go. A cross field kick was fumbled over the line by Ainscough and Saints pounced on the loose ball to score. The touch judge held his ground as there was some debate as to whether Ainscough had been unfairly challenged in the air. Alas, the refere decided after consulting his TJ that the try was legitimate. Foster again kicked a superb conversion from the touchline to give Saints an 18-16 winning lead.

A ragged and exhausted Wigan were unable to mount any serious attacks in the time left and Saints deservedly (sadly) won this pulsating encounter. The Wigan youngsters can only reflect on an opportunity lost in a match whereby they tried hard but lacked direction. No Wigan player stood out bar Holland in the first half. If one must be critical then only John Pendelbury knows why he left Mike Priest a more experienced winger to stew on the bench for a full 80 whilst the younger and diminutive full back and winger were battered time and time again.
mano

Re: Wigan U18s

Post by mano »

Mike was not fit to go on he was on the bench to make the numbers up to 17
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Cheers. Just a question. Why did we not play somebody else. Had the team been submitted and he was taken ill very late? We have a lot of players in that squad. Also what happened re Stefan Marsh. Saw him seated in the crowd?
mano

Post by mano »

NObody else not got a big sq they missed sam tomkins today
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

They certainly did. Are you sure re the squad? Kyle Massam? Was he injured? Stef Marsh? Was he injured? Luke Rhoden? was he injured? We signed several year 11 16 year olds did we not? What has happened to that big blonde lump of a lad that played several games back? Thue U16 lads look like talented players. Who was scrum half today? Melling? Who were the winger and fullback? Could we not have used Thornley or Stanton or Mossop. I know they played last night BUT as subs?
bigkarl

Post by bigkarl »

Does anyone no both the squads? I wouldnt mind seeing if some of the lads I no who signed for saints under 18s played big forward Ste lucas? Jamie Ellis Matty Ashurt Philp baines Scott atkins
Come on Wigan!!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

bigkarl posted:
Jamie Ellis Matty Ashurt Philp baines Scott atkins
Blimey, I thought it was just the Royal family and Portuguese/Brazilians who had loads of names! I bet his teachers hated him at school when it was time to do the register...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
mano

Post by mano »

Melling f.back
Mellor was7
roswell wing
the other players you named were out iju they may be back on wedensday nite v bradford away roden is out all season he as had a op on is hand.
The 21s player can't drop down to the 18s after they have played over 60mins in the 21s.