top class prop forward

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

top class prop forward

Post by bertina »

There is a lot of talk on here about us needing a top class prop to add to our squad. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with that. But apart from all the wishful thinking like, so and so is great, or let's go for so and so, does anyone know which, if any, props are actually available at the moment ? Because one thing is for certain, if we make a move for a big name prop that is still under contract it will cost us a cock-eyed fortune. Goodbye salary cap!
Sometimes things are not as straight forward as we would like them to be.
jinkin jimmy

Re: top class prop forward

Post by jinkin jimmy »

bertina posted:
There is a lot of talk on here about us needing a top class prop to add to our squad. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with that. But apart from all the wishful thinking like, so and so is great, or let's go for so and so, does anyone know which, if any, props are actually available at the moment ? Because one thing is for certain, if we make a move for a big name prop that is still under contract it will cost us a cock-eyed fortune. Goodbye salary cap!
Seeing that Fletch leaving clears a quota spot I am hoping for an Aussie. What about Craig Stapleton? He was going to Salford. Is he still going or is he available? Shouldn't cost too much either.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

bertina posted:
I'm assuming you mean front row forward, in which case it's worth remembering that Carvell was seen at the JJB last week. Doesn't mean anything on its own, but a few 'insiders' have said that we're after him.

He would definitely suit. He wouldn't be massively expensive, but is an excellent, go-forward prop.

Whether we've got the ability to prise him away from his current club is another matter. It would take a transfer fee, but that's not the problem with Wigan. The problem is balancing wages under the cap. Having said that, I still don't think Carvell's would be exorbitant.
bertina

Post by bertina »

jinkin jimmy posted:
bertina posted:
Seeing that Fletch leaving clears a quota spot I am hoping for an Aussie. What about Craig Stapleton? He was going to Salford. Is he still going or is he available? Shouldn't cost too much either.
According to Mcrea in yesterday's press, Stapleton has confirmed that he will honour the deal he has agreed with Salford.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Cruncher posted:
bertina posted:
I'm assuming you mean front row forward, in which case it's worth remembering that Carvell was seen at the JJB last week. Doesn't mean anything on its own, but a few 'insiders' have said that we're after him.

He would definitely suit. He wouldn't be massively expensive, but is an excellent, go-forward prop.

Whether we've got the ability to prise him away from his current club is another matter. It would take a transfer fee, but that's not the problem with Wigan. The problem is balancing wages under the cap. Having said that, I still don't think Carvell's would be exorbitant.
I'd forgot about Carvell. He really would be ideal - the Scott Logan replacement we have missed so badly this year. :eusa10:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

bertina posted:
Because one thing is for certain, if we make a move for a big name prop that is still under contract it will cost us a cock-eyed fortune. Goodbye salary cap!
Why? Transfer fees don't count on the salary cap.

The fact a player is still under contract doesn't mean we will end up paying him a huge wage if we get his existing club to part with him.

So therefore I hope there is something in the Carvell rumour. As JJ said, the Scott Logan replacement we need.

Dave
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

I have a friend who is good friends of chev and he's already signed and he has led me to belive that his old mate DANNY WARD is on his way. i know he's not top class but he's ok. just the back up we need to feka and stu.
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

if fletch is leaving i would like to see maybe a classy centre joining say shontayne hape

dont waste a quota space on a over-rated prop
sign some one who has the skills what we've missing since the renouf days.

if we do decide to go for a aussie prop i would like
to see jason rayles
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

There is a lack of top class prop forwards BUT we can use transfer fees to assist us. Carvell is the best proper British prop forward IMO. There have been others available this year like Dane Carlaw, albeit France suits him, Petro was available. I would even be glad to see Wigan try to buy a Richard Moore.
wigan rugby

Post by wigan rugby »

Is michael Korkidas availiable wouldnt mind seeing him wearing a cherry and white shirt.
"We got the best club in all of the world
we got Barrett and Kenny
Edwards and Hanley
Boston and Kevin Irooooooooo
oooooooo ooooooooo ooooooooo"

Watch My Wigan Warriors Video On Youtube And Please Leave A Comment
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6bFqmejJ0_8